Is an OEM copy of Vista necessary for key-code activation?

I recently got a new comp and my friend put Vista on it. Obviously, I have to activate it within so many days, etc. I'm lookin to cheat the system and save money on this. I can get a student discount on the Vista upgrade. It's full price for the OEM.

Can I buy the upgrade and use that activation key (I don't even know if that has an activation key), or do just have to bite the bullet and get the OEM?

Ooops...

But just in case... no, that proposed solution simply won't work. Retail keys are tied to retail software; OEM keys are tied to OEM releases, and no, they are not interchangeable amongst releases.

If you have a chance to get a full OEM copy (they're all full, actually), then do it. It'll work just the same because it is the same - the difference comes from the fact that an OEM copy doesn't come with any technical support from Microsoft. You're on your own, and it's good for one installation on a given hardware platform: the license isn't transferable to another build if you upgrade later on. At least not legally...

just buy the upgrade, format your hdd and reinstall XP and then install the vista upgrade

It's a new computer; hence that's only going to work if the OP has an unused (ie, not installed elsewhere) retail copy of XP around, which might be the case.

yeah, if he built it getting an OEM vista is the way to go

costs anywhere from $100 to $180 for OEM non upgrade

no such thing as cheating per sae, you gotta pay one way or the other

if he has a valid student e-mail address he can get vista cheap

Back