Is AMOLED indicative of OLED quality?

Einzige

Weaksauce
I mean, I figure it is considering it is a type of OLED.

I'm asking because I've played with some s7's and I HATE AMOLED displays. They glow like crazy and look all kinda of "off".

What can I expect from full sized OLED panels?

(I live in a rural area, so it's inconvenient for me to go see for myself)

Glow? What do you mean it looks off?

I have an s6 and the display looks great. Out of the box the colors are a bit oversatured but that can be fixed by putting it in the standard color mode.

Really have no idea what you're talking about in regards to glow though, that's something OLEDs have finally fixed over LCD - no blooming against high contrast objects or backlight leakage as the pixels are self lit.

To answer your question though yes the Samsung OLED displays are comparable to the LG OLEDs in quality.

Well, I only said they look "off" because I have difficulty expressing why they look bad to me.

I think you found the word of me though. Oversaturated. Oversaturated and they seem to have an annoying glowm. Being a bargain tech hunter kinda guy, I held up my Huawei Honor 5x next to a friend's s7 and I felt strongly that mine had the better display. 1080p ips looks infinitely better to me than 1440p AMOLED.

Oversaturated and... Glowy. The colors look off to me.

I can't help but think that OLED is another misguided hypetrain based on this. However maybe AMOLED phone screens are different than larger screens, but I don't know.

AMOLED hurts my eyes and looks terrible to me to be honest.

The 'glow' you are saying seems to be "oversaturation" more than actual glow.

Glow is generally the whole screen, oversaturation tend to be "glow" in specific objects with high amount of colour. On phones you can generally modify saturation of colours via the phone's built in colour profile apps/

OLED displays tend to be sold with oversaturated colour out of the box, since, according to an LG salesman I was talking to last night, no one would be interested in OLED displays otherwise, since an average joe would not be interested in an OLED TV that costs twice as much as their IPS models.

OLED displays are not hype trains, it's the implementation of it that's far from ideal, but personally I don't mind it since there are ways to turn off oversaturation, or just calibrate it if you are using an OLED TV as PC monitor. I am keen to get one in the near future because I don't regard IPS, TN or VA as anywhere near 'ideal' as OLED, especially considering that oversaturation can often be corrected, gamma shifts and background glows sometimes undersaturation cannot.

However, I'd say that AMOLED is not an accurate representation of OLED displays, as AMOLED is only used in Smartphone displays, and they focus on different things than an OLED computer display or even TV would do.

Before making up your mind, I'd wait at least for an OLED computer display to hit the market before making that conclusion, since Smarphone displays and TVs are often guilty of deliberate oversaturation than computer displays.

Last edited:
When you meet your friend again, fiddle around with his phone and set the display to "Basic" mode.

That will set the display to standard non-oversaturated values... then you can compare again.

When you meet your friend again, fiddle around with his phone and set the display to "Basic" mode.

That will set the display to standard non-oversaturated values... then you can compare again.

I'll try that. His was... very glowy.

Well, I only said they look "off" because I have difficulty expressing why they look bad to me.

I think you found the word of me though. Oversaturated. Oversaturated and they seem to have an annoying glowm. Being a bargain tech hunter kinda guy, I held up my Huawei Honor 5x next to a friend's s7 and I felt strongly that mine had the better display. 1080p ips looks infinitely better to me than 1440p AMOLED.

Oversaturated and... Glowy. The colors look off to me.

I can't help but think that OLED is another misguided hypetrain based on this. However maybe AMOLED phone screens are different than larger screens, but I don't know.

AMOLED hurts my eyes and looks terrible to me to be honest.

Just FYI for some odd reason the phones come default in this weird setting that does "Over Saturate" similar to TV's "Dynamic" mode. I ran my 6 and current 7 Edge under display mode "Basic".

Most phones are set far too bright. When you turn it down, the OLED is superior to an IPS panel by far for colour reproduction and blacks, out of the box. The monochromatic derived colours are far better, it's close to seeing colour from my laser projectors.
The caveat to OLED is longevity. Blue oleds degrade almost twice as fast as the other colours and are less bright to begin with. They need to adopt a better solution or develop a brighter blue colour (460nm centroid etc) to mix with it.

I have S Amoled tablets (Samsung) and Oled tablets (Dell Venue) and the difference is noticeable. The Oled display on the Venue is just absolutely wonderful, the closest if not the same as having a small Oled tv.

Implementation is just extremely poor in mobile devices. I have a Dell Venue 8 with a 2560x1440 OLED panel that I use for reading (comics, books, manga), and while it's great for that, when it comes to actual color reproduction it's both extremely oversaturated and the gamma is completely fucked. For example, the lower you adjust the brightness on the display, the more your black levels get crushed, and at it's dimmest, almost all shadow detail is lost to black crush. It's really unfortunate that such promising displays have these "issues", but this is the fault of Dell/Android, and not the technology itself.

The "AM" in AMOLED just stands for Active Matrix.

But Samsung has chosen to prominently include that part in their display branding so it has skewed public perception and understanding of the terms involved.

Regarding OLED display characteristics, CRTs had differing characteristics depending on the implementation of the technology. LCDs had differing characteristics depending on the implementation of the technology, the same will apply to OLED displays.

There is also the sub-pixel layout question. Samsung uses a pentile matrix on their phones. To me these look more grainy and less sharp than the claimed resolution should.

I still prefer amoled phones to lcd.

Back