Is a sub $1000 gaming SFF system possible?

TheNewGuy8

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
182
I'm looking to build a system that will be used for gaming, light photoshop graphic design and some animation. Nothing too intensive. I currently have a Macbook Pro (2.4ghz, 4gb 667 RAM, GeForce 8600M GT) and for everything but the gaming it does fine. That said, if the system I build is better, I would switch to it for the work tasks and keep the mac for all day-to-day stuff.

The one quirk here is that, if possible, I would like a SFF system unless you convince me otherwise. I just like keeping things small and tidy. This is not a huge necessity, just an interest.

So:

Price: Sub $1000
Purpose: mainly gaming, some photoshop and animation
location: California
parts I have: monitor (24" 1920x1200)/keyboard/mouse/speakers. All I need is the case and innerds.
OC'ing: I would prefer not to, but may play around in the future.


As mentioned, I have a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, so the graphics do need to be somewhat capable. I'm looking to play things like Call of Duty: MW, Fallout3, Witcher, etc.
Thanks!
 
Small Form Factor? 1920 x 1200 monitor? $1,000? Boom! right here.

Case - SILVERSTONE SUGO SG02B-F Black for $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163112&Tpk=SUGO SG02B-F

PSU - SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F 600W for $110 ($20 MIR) w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817163109

CPU - Core 2 E8400 for $165 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Mobo - ASUS P5Q-VM LGA for $119
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131345

Video - Geforce GTX 260 for $240($40 MIR) w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127361

RAM - G. Skills DDR2 1000 for $55 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

Optical - Samsung 22X SH-S223F for $25 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171

Heatsink - SILVERSTONE NT06-E for $51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220033&Tpk=SILVERSTONE NT06-E

HDD - WD 6400AAKS 640GIG for $75 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218&Tpk=WD 6400AAKS

O/S - Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit for $100 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

Total: $1000
 
If you read the reviews for that video card, msi is no longer honoring the MIR's unless the card was bought in october..
 
Not that we're going to read through every review to do a build post.
My stuff cost less than $1000 not counting case.

~$160 e8400
~$80 ram
~$75 HD
~$320-$340 video cards
~$140 mobo
~$130 PSU
= ~$900

Then the case was ~$260-$280 incl. NT06-E. But a case is a personal decision so that's up to you.

.. Holy shit, more than I expected. No wonder my budget is out of whack.
 
If you don't mind buying used gear, you can save a ton of money going through the for sale section and easily get under $1000 for a really nice setup.
 
do folks think SFF systems are in any way inferior to midsize systems? Are they generally noisier?
 
do folks think SFF systems are in any way inferior to midsize systems? Are they generally noisier?

Of course SFF systems are inferior in some aspects to ATX systems (Limited choices of cases, limited choices of good quality overclocking motherboards). But ATX systems are inferior to SFF systems in some aspects as well (Size, portability and GF/WAF). SFF systems are a bit noisier than their ATX counterparts.
 
Inferior in terms of limitations - Yes
It's small.

Inferior in terms of expandability - Yes
It's small, doesn't have the 10 extra hard drive spaces.

Inferior in terms of hardware - Yes and No.
Doesn't have the latest and greatest - X38, X48, X58 but anything below that/mainstream they are on par.

Inferior in terms of noise - Yes and No.
If you have a full size tower with 3000rpm fans well shit, need I say more? My SFF is quieter than my CM Cosmos.

Inferior in terms of cooling capacity - Yes.
Limited heatsink compatibility, It's small.

Inferior to other people's system - Yes and No.
Check the SFF section (yes we have an active one :eek:). How many people with ginormous towers have parts that compare to some of them? Tons people have mid/full size towers w/ 7 slots and only use.. 1. Many have "inferior" overclocks than some of us.

We're not fucking inferior, we're just limited ;)
 
Back
Top