• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is a 550w PSU enough?

GMcDougal

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
938
i have an antec 550w psu. I plan on upgrading to either the x4 phenom II or x3. I am running a 7800gt which i would like to upgrade later on. would i run into any issues?
 
No you won't have any problems. You could run a phenom x4 and a 4870x2 on that psu if you wanted.
 
You should be fine. I'm using a Corsair 520W for my E6600 (3.4ghz) and a GTX 280.
 
model tp II 550.

Get a new PSU for the new system. As davidhammock200 alluded to, the Truepower I and II series were well known for their above average death rates due to a poor choice in caps and cooling design. In more specific term, Antec/CWT specified/used caps that did not respond well to heat. Unfortunately, Antec made the decision to have the PSU fan only ramp at really high temps in an effort to keep the PSU quiet. However, just medium to high temps were enough to screw up the caps so really high temps were murderous.

So I recommend replacing the PSU, especially if you hear a squeal, whine, or any odd noise coming from the PSU. I recommend the BFG LS-550 as an replacement
 
Get a new PSU for the new system. As davidhammock200 alluded to, the Truepower I and II series were well known for their above average death rates due to a poor choice in caps and cooling design. In more specific term, Antec/CWT specified/used caps that did not respond well to heat. Unfortunately, Antec made the decision to have the PSU fan only ramp at really high temps in an effort to keep the PSU quiet. However, just medium to high temps were enough to screw up the caps so really high temps were murderous.

So I recommend replacing the PSU, especially if you hear a squeal, whine, or any odd noise coming from the PSU. I recommend the BFG LS-550 as an replacement
I concur with everything in this statement. It would most definitely be a good idea to purchase a newer quality PSU.
 
Back
Top