Is 30gb really enough?

delvryboy

2[H]4U
I really want to try one out, but $$ are tight on this build. I don't game at all. I use multiple video encoding programs, such as handbrake, dvdflick, dvd shrink, dvd fab, and winavi; all of which would be installed on the drive. I also use office ultimate and adobe light room. I already use a separate drive for my working files (movie file input and output folders are on a separate drive from the OS).

OS is W7 Pro x64.

Would 30gb be large enough, or should I hold out until I could afford $200+?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
You forgot to mention what you are actually talking about... lol. I'm going to use my powers of deduction and say its an SSD?

If your describing what will be on the drive accurately, they sure, it should be fine.

Yes 30GB will be more than enough. That'll probably take up 15-16GB on a base install, less if you cut out unneeded parts of W7

yeah, SSD, lol. I'm headed to MC to pick up my i7 and they have the OCZ vertex(OCZSSD21VTX30G) for $99 AR. Basically everything I listed, program wise, would be installed. I don't use Outlook and a few other items from my Office suite, so I could also cut those out.

I really can't think of any other programs I have installed at the present moment. All of my photos/docs are stored on a seperate drive and I use a 500gb drive just for movie encoding in/out folders, at which point they are transferred once again to one of my 1TB's for storage.

Let me know if there's anything else I should know before I head out the door.

i7 860/4gb DDR3 1600/Asus P55 Deluxe/3 x 1TB/1x500GB/1x320GB(Docs and pictures that get backed up to an external)

Thanks.

K, I grabbed it. I have a few questions, but I'll start another thread for those.

I decided to grab another and run them in raid 0. I could use some suggestions in my other thread. Thanks.

Was capacity the reason you grabbed that second drive? Even w/a lot of bloat I can't imagine you had more than 20GB of apps (from what you told us)...

more space is better

won't have to keep worrying about uninstalling programs to fit new ones on.

i have a 250OS drive HDD, but i'm still watching my usage levels.

The only way he'd have to worry about that is if he's trying to install any games to it... Even w/a few other heavy apps I can't imagine how he'd get over 20GB in programs alone, not much else out there consumes the kind of space games do.

Yeah, I know, 30gb would have been fine with proper management. It was more or less an impulse buy. However, I have it now. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that System Restore, Pagefile, and Hibernation can take a sizable chunk of the drive's capacity (5-25GB depending on how you're set up) if you're not careful.

You forgot to mention what you are actually talking about... lol. I'm going to use my powers of deduction and say its an SSD?

If your describing what will be on the drive accurately, they sure, it should be fine.

Does it really matter what kind of drive? His concern was that the amount of space be sufficient for his needs. Whether he's setting up a partitioning scheme or deciding on an SSD would make no difference and isn't relevant.

Back