Is 3.0 MBS okay to run a personal server ?

Leo`

Limp Gawd
I want to run my website and upload files for people to download. Is this fast enough .

Make sure your ISP is ok with you running a personal server (some forbid it).

That number you quoted is likely your download speed, which won't matter much; a personal server will be uploading files to the Internet, so your upload speed will be the biggest bottleneck. But even at 56k upload, it'll function, it just won't be quick.

Well they're offering me there 5 IP Setup with open ports for 50$ so yes port 80 is open

Depends on upload. And...depends on what your, and the people who visit your website, consider "fast enough". One persons opinion of "fast enough" will certainly vary from another persons opinion.

Also..how many "concurrent visitors" will be on your page, and downloading from you. If it's just one person at a time..and you're not doing anything else on your connection during that time..it will probably run fine for them, as they'll have most of your upload bandwidth available. But if you are say..downloading or uploading yourself from your home..or online gaming, and/or someone else is hitting your webserver and/or downloading from you..your upload will already be hit hard...and the next person to attempt to log in will get poor performance.

Family and friends it would be good. Just keep in mind that your online experience will be slow if one or two people are downloading and capping out your upload.

You need to find out your Upload/Download ratio to give us a better picture.

Well they're offering me there 5 IP Setup with open ports for 50$ so yes port 80 is open

Port 80 is open on all internet services... it wouldn't be much of an offering without webbrowsing capabilities ;)

You are probably needing port 20/21 open for FTP access, unless of course you are trying to run a script like celerondude or something.

Port 80 is open on all internet services... it wouldn't be much of an offering without webbrowsing capabilities ;)

You are probably needing port 20/21 open for FTP access, unless of course you are trying to run a script like celerondude or something.

That's outgoing port 80. Incoming port 80 is a whole other deal. Just talk to users on consumer FIOS. Port 80 incoming is blocked on many ISP services. Most of those have prohibitions in their TOS for running servers.

Back