IPS Panel For Gaming Answers Needed

Enthusiast Extreme

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
334
Hello everyone! I have couple of quick questions, I want to buy an IPS monitor (HP ZR30W) monitor for gaming. I am a little bit concerned about 7ms response time as I play a lot of first person shooter games. Will it be noticeable much? :p I have 2x MSI Lightning Extreme Gtx 580s 3gbs in sli so should be enough for that resolution to max every game. Just wondering about how something like this would work for gaming. ANY input, advice/suggestions, ideas are highly appreciated! :D
 
It's the same as those companies marketing the polling rate of so gaming mice. Unless you have the same perception of a superhuman with a quick-thinking brain to go with it, then no. Unnoticeable. It's just 7 ms. If you actually ''felt'' a lag, there's a huge, huge, huge chance that it's a placebo.
 
Yup as BDS23 said, it's not at all noticeable on any of my 30" LCDs. Enjoy that beast, games look incredible on it.
 
There's some serious misinformation going on in this thread. Response time refers to ghosting, it has nothing to do with input lag.

Direct from AVS forum, "Input lag is a delay from the moment your output device (PC, Game console, DVD, etc.) sends an image to your TV to when it is finally displayed on your screen to see."

Input lag is not measured by manufacturers, and the only way to get a figure for any given monitor is to find a review that covers it.
 
Ghosting and blurring come from poor response time. It's not very often you will see a monitor with excessive ghosting nowadays. Most of the time you see excessive reverse ghosting because the over-drive is too aggressive.

The 30" panels are probably near the top, if not, the top for IPS response times with or without overdrive from my experience.

I'm going to get this in before the anti-glare whiners come and say this monitor belongs on the feces pile because it has sight ruining anti-glare and you can't read text on it :D
 
All LCD's blur. 60 Hz blurs pretty badly - though I find it most obnoxiously so on the most modern, extreme fine detailed textured + depth via bump mapping games. These texture details and virtual depth being washed out on fast FoV movement is eye wrenching. 120hz reportedly blurs "about half as much".
.
I love my 27inch 2560x IPS screen for the real estate, high ppi, and gorgeous, lush imagery. Its not bad on older engines like L4D2 and TF2 but I'm going back to my fw900 widescreen crt for very high detail modern games. If that malfunctions or dies I'll have to try a 120hz TN. I'm keeping the 27inch IPS in the monitor array too though. Unfortunately there isn't a perfect solution and I'll have to use a few different monitors for different tasks.

lcd-blur.jpg
 
All LCD's blur. 60 Hz blurs pretty badly - though I find it most obnoxiously so on the most modern, extreme fine detailed textured + depth via bump mapping games. These texture details and virtual depth being washed out on fast FoV movement is eye wrenching. 120hz reportedly blurs "about half as much".
.
I love my 27inch 2560x IPS screen for the real estate, high ppi, and gorgeous, lush imagery. Its not bad on older engines like L4D2 and TF2 but I'm going back to my fw900 widescreen crt for very high detail modern games. If that malfunctions or dies I'll have to try a 120hz TN. I'm keeping the 27inch IPS in the monitor array too though. Unfortunately there isn't a perfect solution and I'll have to use a few different monitors for different tasks.

lcd-blur.jpg

So you are saying the HP zr30w would be a bad choice for fps gaming?
 
Back
Top