iPod Saves Girl From Lightning Strike?

HardOCP News

[H] News
This girl firmly believes that her iPod saved her life when she was struck by lightning. Then again maybe God isn’t an Apple fan and that is WHY she was struck by lightning. Hey, don’t get mad at me, I’m just saying what everyone is thinking. :D

Sophie passed out as the current travelled through her iPod headphones, which were hanging from her school uniform, and burned her chest and stomach.

Pro, taking shelter under a tree in a thunderstorm.

Also, somehow I don't think the small metal housing of her ipod saved her. Somehow I want to think that it helped cause more damage to her by inflicting burns instead of allowing the lightning to ground into...the ground.

I hope this isn't one of those new Mac bugs... if not, people is gonna be friggin' pissed about lightnings trying to struck them and stuff lol

Pro, taking shelter under a tree in a thunderstorm.

Also, somehow I don't think the small metal housing of her ipod saved her. Somehow I want to think that it helped cause more damage to her by inflicting burns instead of allowing the lightning to ground into...the ground.

You DON'T want to be next to a tree during a lightning storm. You have to get away from tall object. It doesn't matter if it's metal or wood.

Humans have the tendency to think that being under the tree would keep them out of the rain, and forget the fact that lightnings are drawn to tall (and wet) objects.

Sophie Frost and Mason Billington, both 14, took shelter under a tree in King George V Playing Field, in Rayleigh during a thunderstorm on Monday night when they were hit by the 3,000-volt lightning bolt.

Didn't anyone ever teach these kids that you don't get under trees in a lightning storm? I would guess she would have been lcukier without the iPod as she would have been less conductive and the electricity wouldn't have bothered arcing over to her from the tree. The lightning probably arced over to her iPod as if it was a small lightning rod.

You DON'T want to be next to a tree during a lightning storm. You have to get away from tall object. It doesn't matter if it's metal or wood.

Humans have the tendency to think that being under the tree would keep them out of the rain, and forget the fact that lightnings are drawn to tall (and wet) objects.

....I was hoping that I set the tone for the joke with "Pro"

Doesn't matter what she thinks. The iPod is not grounded so I wouldn't keep her safe.

Don't kids learn these things in school?

LOL not to mention they went under a tree...

Gods natural lightening RODs

If its a field, lay flat on the ground until it passes, dont go around anything that is tall and/or can attract lightening.

She deserved to get hit for being stupid enough to take shelter under a tree during a lightening storm. How stupid can you be.

Man, and the British call us inbred hicks...

The genetic diversity on that little island nation must be abysmal once you get into the white trash of the nation, since its probably the one class of people that only manages to breed within itself.

Wth...

I thought we all learn this crap in kindergarten. When theres a lightening storm you don't want to be standing in an open field or under a tall tree. Get your ass home or back inside a car.

I'm always amazed at how many people can't correctly spell "lightning."

Firefox's spellchecker doesn't put squiggly lines under either spelling of lightning, oddly enough. At least not on mine.

Doesn't matter what she thinks. The iPod is not grounded so I wouldn't keep her safe.

Don't kids learn these things in school?

The article states that even the doctors say that it saved her life.

What they are thinking it that is sucked up most of the charge and prevented it from going through her.

Although like people have said, it probably acted as a small ligthtning rod to begin with drawing the strike from the tree to them.

Firefox's spellchecker doesn't put squiggly lines under either spelling of lightning, oddly enough. At least not on mine.

Assuming you mean lightening and lighting, that would be because they are real words unrelated to lightning.

The article states that even the doctors say that it saved her life.

What they are thinking it that is sucked up most of the charge and prevented it from going through her.

Although like people have said, it probably acted as a small ligthtning rod to begin with drawing the strike from the tree to them.

awww cute, doctors playing a game of electrical engineers/middle school science teacher

I closed the page as soon as i saw the girl....

but did somebody mention about the condition of the ipod ?

Assuming you mean lightening and lighting, that would be because they are real words unrelated to lightning.

I know. I'm just saying that might be why people don't correct themselves. But then again, not many people spellcheck anyways. lol

Lightening means to become lighter (less heavy) or brighter (less dark, illuminate)

Lightning is a bolt of electricity from the sky.

It's a play on the viewpoint that socialized health care results in lower quality care, and I extended it to imply that it results in ignorant and unqualified health care providers.

also yes England

Its all an Apple Marketing Setup. Come on you knows Steve Jobs can call lightning from the sky to rain down upon whoever he wants, and now Apple can use the slogan. "Ipod... it can save your life" "9 out of 10 Doctors recommend an Ipod to save you from a lightning strike" etc.. etc..

This was God's warning to the girl. "You continue to use that overpriced garbage, you arn't going to be so lucky next time."

everybody knows Apple makes 'attractants' not 'repellants'

if it had been a Zune the EU would be fining someone by now :rolleyes:

I have been amazed, at the number of hikers, and Joggers hit by lightning when listening to their Ipod listening devices,

Now I am beginning to think it is an epidemic-
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/12/lightning-strikes-twice-for-unsuspecting-ipod-users/
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2006/07/4551.ars

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_12801.aspx
so the University of Illinois proved iPods don't attract lightning but offer a conduit for the current to go through.
So would something else get struck if you were not wearing it?

good thing it wasn't an iPhone-
http://www.livescience.com/environment/060622_lightning_mobile.html

She deserved to get hit for being stupid enough to take shelter under a tree during a lightening storm. How stupid can you be.

Apparently as dumb as her and her boyfriend... :p

This article fails, they have no evidence the iPod saved her. Probably did more harm than good.

Maybe she had illegal music on her pod. Why take them to court when one can zap them....

Didn't this happen to someone with a Walkman back in the day?

Hmmm... We shot those Pirates that grab that ship captain, see what happens when you take water boarding off the table.

What song do you think she was listening to when it happened?

(Shock the monkey anyone?)

The iPod's probably the worst MP3 player out there to get struck by lightning with... I imagine more common plastic-housed players wouldn't cause as much of a burn, would they?

No evidence? The current went through the headphones. There are burn marks where the wire travels down her body. Read the article you morons

Back