IPMI (Intelligent Platform Management Interface) config

chaandan

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have a step by step guide or link i can use to setup IMPI on both my supermicro H8QGI boards for remote management.

Both my boards have inbuilt IPMI.

Also can i use IPMI over the wireless adapters connected to my boards. I don't have hard wire lan connection.

Basic Requirement : I have a windows laptop and two SM boards running Linux. How do i configure IPMI on windows laptop to monitor both the SM boards.

Last edited:
You really want to have the Realtek port (usually nearest the PS/2 port(s)) on a hardwired connection of some sort that you can access from the network. From there just download IPMIview. Here's the Supermicro IPMIview guide.

so does it mean i have to connect two ethernet cables to the board?
one for the internet eth1 port and one for ipmi/lan port?

I do this with two cables with no issues. Haven't tried it in other (eg: shared) configurations -- not sure this is even supported with the quad SM board.

One nice thing about using two cables is you can pull the eth0/eth1 plugs, yet still interact with the system (as if you were local) via ipmi kvm. Helpful if you're testing a system that isn't yet stable enough to leave connected. I haven't had a real monitor, keyboard or mouse hooked up to one of my primary systems for months...

so does it mean i have to connect two ethernet cables to the board?
one for the internet eth1 port and one for ipmi/lan port?

I do this with two cables with no issues. Haven't tried it in other (eg: shared) configurations -- not sure this is even supported with the quad SM board.

One nice thing about using two cables is you can pull the eth0/eth1 plugs, yet still interact with the system (as if you were local) via ipmi kvm. Helpful if you're testing a system that isn't yet stable enough to leave connected. I haven't had a real monitor, keyboard or mouse hooked up to one of my primary systems for months...

Yea I no longer connect keyboards, video output devices, or mice to servers even from day 1.

On Tyan boards you can use the IPMI port as a data port. They use an Intel 82574L controller usually but you want to keep it dedicated to IPMI in almost all circumstances.

Yea I no longer connect keyboards, video output devices, or mice to servers even from day 1.

On Tyan boards you can use the IPMI port as a data port. They use an Intel 82574L controller usually but you want to keep it dedicated to IPMI in almost all circumstances.
I stumbled on some random website that had some helpful info on Tyan's IPMI setup. I gotta say Tyan's implementation is super slick. Just point a browser at the ip address and away you go. My 4P is now tucked away in a back corner of my basement connected by nothing but a power cord and a cat5 cable.

After I jumped into the bios of my SM board last night while sitting at my laptop in my living room, I was sold on IPMI. Very slick...

Back