iPhone4 Glass question

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
Question: Is the iPhone4 glass Corning Gorilla Glass?

Can someone clarify this for me? Its really giving me the twitch every time I see someone say the iPhone4 is using Corning's Gorilla Glass.

From here they talk about the stopping of cases for the iPhone4 and they say that its Corning Gorilla Glass on the front, but nowhere on the Apple site does it say its Corning Gorilla Glass, it says "aluminosilicate glass", whereas Corning Gorilla glass is "alkali-aluminosilicate".

As well, on the Apple site it says that the glass on the iPhone4 is "the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains", which can't be Corning Gorilla Glass because on the Corning Gorilla Glass timeline it doesn't list anywhere for the use on helicopters or trains and the timelike spans from 1960-2010.

It's rumored to be Gorilla Glass. Regardless of whatever brand they use, it's supposed to be strong and scratch-resistant.

I own both a iphone 4 and zune HD (uses gorilla glass).

Been using my zune for over half a year with zero scratches on the screen. There are a couple of dents on the plastic corners from dropping though.

I've only owned my iphone 4 for like 2 months and it already has a ton of scratches :(

I own both a iphone 4 and zune HD (uses gorilla glass).

Been using my zune for over half a year with zero scratches on the screen. There are a couple of dents on the plastic corners from dropping though.

I've only owned my iphone 4 for like 2 months and it already has a ton of scratches :(

Back or front. The back is not the same glass as the front. I've also had mine for a few months now and no scratches.

Update, iphone 4 does NOT use gorilla glass.

Corning is the maker of Gorilla Glass, and the glass is used in many products. However, Apple was not willing to pay the fees, so Apple developed its own solution, which apparently isn't as good from my experience.

Back or front. The back is not the same glass as the front. I've also had mine for a few months now and no scratches.

Scratch are all on the front since I have a case.

The phone scratches easily. In the limited research I've done the glass itself is strong but there's a coating of some sort on top of the screen that gets scratches. I know one guy that had his less than a week before the first minor scratch showed up.

No Scratches on the front minor in the back, I did drop it naked on tile and a concrete sidewalk, it's pretty resistant :D

On my iPhone 4 and my iPad, I see zero scratches, and I use them both constantly everyday. I do not have a screen protector on either screen.

I'm not saying it's impossible to scratch them, just that they are amazing glass.

Mine scratched pretty easily.

I was a bit harder on my phones than most though. I use to work out on a flight line. Pretty rough place for a phone. It had a couple of small scratches, but nothing that affected the performance of the screen.

no it's not, i work in a store and a customer dropped it off of about 3 ft and it broke on corner. not only cracked bur scratched too.

I have heard that it is Gorilla Glass, and I've noticed that there is a lot of difference between my old iphone and my new iphone. I don't like cases on my phone (especially something as slick as the iphone4) so it's naked, and there are no scratches on the front. The back is another story, but the front is pristine.

I have heard that it is Gorilla Glass, and I've noticed that there is a lot of difference between my old iphone and my new iphone. I don't like cases on my phone (especially something as slick as the iphone4) so it's naked, and there are no scratches on the front. The back is another story, but the front is pristine.

It is not Gorilla Glass. First there is no mention by Apple that it is Gorilla Glass. Second Apple didn't want to pay Corning (Gorilla Glass marker), so they developed their own alternative.

I have no idea how the iphone 4 got associated with Gorilla Glass (didn't help that all the major media were spewing false facts).

Personal experience is that iphone 4's glass is just slightly inferior to Gorilla Glass since I somehow manage to scratch the front of my iphone 4 :(

mine was scratched within the first month of owning. it scratches easily.

my mistake but i had it in my pocket with keys and the keys won.....

its not that hard of glass and since it is flat, unlike many other phones, it is easier to scratch it.

from my experience

Back