iPhone os 4.0

So, tomorrow it looks like the iPhone os 4.0 will be announced. Invite only event. Macworld.com will have live updates via scribble. Anyone have any thoughts or hopes for what will be revealed?

I'm hoping for expose style multitasking.

It has to be multitasking, I don't see what else they could do to justify a jump to 4.0. I'm curious to see if there will be any other UI improvements.

Personally, i think its interesting they are doing the OS 4 preview so quick after the iPad Launch, i wonder if they are trying to take thunder away from the Microsoft April 12th event. I almost wonder if they were not trying to have 4.0 ready for the iPad but just did not feel like delaying it any more.

And my personal hope? Customizable SMS ringtones darnit! All i ever want is the simple Xbox achievement sound, there is no stock SMS sound that is simple enough for me! XD

Personally, i think its interesting they are doing the OS 4 preview so quick after the iPad Launch, i wonder if they are trying to take thunder away from the Microsoft April 12th event. I almost wonder if they were not trying to have 4.0 ready for the iPad but just did not feel like delaying it any more.

In the big picture I think they staggered announcements this way simply because OS 4 wasn't in any state to show. These mobile OS updates seem to be down to the wire, especially in light of what a tremendous disaster OS 2.0 was.

Announcements are also typically made two months before new hardware is released so that developers can have enough time to get their updated applications ready.

I'm most interested in what 4.0 has to offer, but doubt it'll be anything that will convince me to stick with my iPhone rather than jump to the Sprint Evo.

come on.. it wont be anything awesome. itll have a few good quirks fixed and added. but nothing new.
but if you do want all the good stuff, Jailbreak :)

If they bring some sort of 3rd party multitasking and better notifications, that'll be great. I'd like to see a more useful lock screen as well.

Can't wait. Loving mu iPad, what I've listed above would truly make it insane.

Seems like you guys got a Android style multitasking (at least it seems like that to me).

Nothing too exciting here, it seems. By the looks of it, it doesn't seem I'll be making much (if any) use of the new "multitasking".

The custom background feature is nice, though.

There's a live blog here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/live-from-apples-iphone-os-4-event/?sort=newest&refresh=60

Not going to list all links, but all the posts regarding iPhone OS 4.0: http://www.engadget.com/

Seems pretty good so far.

Really? Seems pretty shitty to me so far. Everything that is part of the their 7 poles so far is something ive been doing for over a YEAR on my jailbroke 3g. Pretty fricken ho hum. Im pretty sure they stole all of those ideas from the jailbreak community. The folders one especially. Sure it will be nice that this crap is finally natively supported (kinda like copy and paste, the integrated system that apple has is way better than the old jailbroke apps i used before it was put in) but im not impressed at all.

edit: HA just saw that multitasking is limited to the 3gs. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Last edited:
Integrated ads in the OS? iAds?

Watch the entire platform become a giant banner ad.

multitasking in my experience doesnt make it that much slower. using backgrounder and kirike give almost the same experience as that they showed today. I run espn radio in the background while doing a host of other things, doesnt slow down to the point of being unuseable.

Looks like ill be staying with 3.1.3 for a good while, at least until 4 is jailbroke...

EDIT: Im REALLY looking at the Sprint EVO or possibly a Nexus when my contract is up in sept now. Their new hardware (if they even have new hardware) had better me pretty pimpin, amoled at the min for the screen and larger screen size or im movin to android.

This was dull. Nothing innovative for consumers. It's necessary, but was hoping that Apple would "Think Different" instead of just taking stuff from jb apps. Still looks like I'll need to jail break cause sbsettings, texting at lock screen & within apps, downloading files, and quite a few other items were not addressed. If for some reason the new iphone can't be jb then I might switch over to android (WebOS would be ideal, but it needs good hardware).

Iphone os4 in fall.
no 3g support
it looks iphone multitask is not tru multitask on the end!
you can do ALL that on jailbreak iphone already!
Android here i come!
iphoneos40373rmeng1.jpg

Nice update, multitasking, folders etc were addressed now if only thew preview was iPad compatible.

I was actually really happy and surprised by the announcements. Multiple exchange accounts, better mail app, multi-tasking, all the new services, game center, folders, all things I'm excited to use.

11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

Folder thing is nice, i think multitask is more like switching between apps..

Thanks for posting my quote larger. It needs to be.

My current phone is an iphone 3G. It might be my last iphone. I'm sick of being stuck in a constant loop of locked-down control.

iAd is stupid too. Hey devs, you were incorporating ugly, yet profitable ads in your free apps. Now, sacrifice 60%of the revenues to us and be forced into this ad system that your must force your programs to accept. Otherwise your apps will be rejected.

If I was a dev, I'd be pissed. It's a tax.

11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

It saves states, and allows GPS and Audio passthrough.

iAd is stupid too. Hey devs, you were incorporating ugly, yet profitable ads in your free apps. Now, sacrifice 60%of the revenues to us and be forced into this ad system that your must force your programs to accept. Otherwise your apps will be rejected.

I think they just killed their golden goose.

BULL FUCKING SHIT. If had a dollar for everytime Shit-fari crashed or locked up I would be a rich man. When shit-fari locks up I'm forced to reboot the phone.

iPhone OS == Win95

BULL FUCKING SHIT. If had a dollar for everytime Shit-fari crashed or locked up I would be a rich man. When shit-fari locks up I'm forced to reboot the phone.

iPhone OS == Win95

i think you meant windowsME

iPhone OS == Win95

Any sites you use specifically that cause it to lock up?

Mine doesn't crash ever, so I can't really relate..

Ditching my 3g and getting a HTC EVO and a iPad.

Tethering on EVO to a wifi iPad ftw

This is false, nobody is forcing anyone to use iAd over other ad services. They even said in the Q&A that people can use other ad and game network services if they wanted to. How do you even restrict something like that?

Any sites you use specifically that cause it to lock up?

Mine doesn't crash ever, so I can't really relate..

Regular sites: [H], kotaku, mainstream gaming sites, espn, digg, news sites. Problems encountered:
1. Enter URL, loading animation in URL does not move. Can't open a new tab. Forced to reboot phone.
2. Bring up keyboard for mail, text, anything. Keyboard will NOT disappear. Forced to reboot phone.

I know my comment could be considered offensive, and I don't want to offend non-fanbois, i.e normal people. If the iPhone OS was called Windows it would be a laughingstock when you examine the bugs.

Reinstalling the shitty OS seems to make the problem go away for a week or 2, but out of the blue it happens again. I'm not going to any particularly fancy sites either.

Back