iPhone 8 Plus Teardown: Just How Difficult Is That Glass Back Panel?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
iFixit has published their teardowns for both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus: both received a repairability score of 6. One major concern is the glass back panel, which is very difficult to get to and expensive to replace.

With our iPhone 8 teardown out of the way, we turn our attention to its (larger) brother: The iPhone 8 Plus. As expected, the Plus has roughly the same architecture we found in our iPhone 8 teardown, with just a little more room to stretch your thumbs. For an authentic repair experience, we tried prying out a broken rear panel—nobody will be removing an intact panel. Our results were... not good. Replacing a broken back is going to be a very, very difficult (and expensive) job.

iFixit feels like they're complacent and okay with a battery being glued down like that and a fucking pig to replace. That's very disappointing.

Flash backs from my iphone4 that I would always crack the back on

So your phone doesn't work. I'll take a cracked back but working phone which I can then put in a case to hide it any day.

The excitement for this release seems somewhat subdued. I haven't heard any of my iPhone owning chums saying they are keen to get one. Just not the need for 'moar' power like there was with much earlier generations.

So your phone doesn't work. I'll take a cracked back but working phone which I can then put in a case to hide it any day.

The excitement for this release seems somewhat subdued. I haven't heard any of my iPhone owning chums saying they are keen to get one. Just not the need for 'moar' power like there was with much earlier generations.

What's there to be excited about, it looks and works just like the one prior to it but costs even more. Hardware is nothing exciting either. Most probably played a few games and got over the excitement a few generations back. Think different right? :)

What's there to be excited about, it looks and works just like the one prior to it but costs even more. Hardware is nothing exciting either. Most probably played a few games and got over the excitement a few generations back. Think different right? :)

The 8 is the exact same price as the 7. They got rid of the intermediate model size 128gb. The bottom model 32gb was replaced with a 64gb model for $30 more. The X is the one that cost more. But even then as a 7+ owner I dont care about wireless charging at all, and the 7+ is already insanely fast.

I'm on an iphone 6. It's not feeling slow yet and the battery life is still ok.

The 8 looks boring and kind of a waste.

The X looks rushed and at the very least, let people beta test it first. The X2 will likely be cool... or maybe not.

I'm not really impressed with the quality of ios 11 yet either. Apple just seems to have been running late on the whole process.

Back