iPhone 4 vs EVO 4G video.

Not sure if this has been posted. Check out this video comparing the 2 phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=youtube_gdata

Yeah I saw that this weekend, pretty funny, and spot on. The EVO is clearly a solid match to the iPhone4. They are both great phones.

I just like the EVO for much better reasons;

- 4G faster download speeds than the ATT 3G by like two or three times.
- Sprint has the cheapest monthly plan by far, almost half the price of ATT's full unlimited raping.
- EVO 4G video chat allows you to actually use it while out and about while on the phone, NOT requiring you to be in a WiFi spot.
- Big screen makes reading news sites much easier to see
- Widgets
- Weather icon that actually shows the real live weather, not some 73 degree and sunny place holder :rolleyes:
- No antenna issue :p

My #1 beef with iPhone is AT&T. When I had my iPhone3G with full unlimited package everything the monthly bill w/tax was $180
Total rip off. And it gave me spotty service with tons of dropped calls. Now I am on T-Mobile with my Nexus-One and the same unlimited package is only $99 per month. That is almost 50% less for the same thing. And my Brother just got the EVO 4G last week his total everything unlimited package is $109 again that is shockingly less than ATT.

When I say unlimited I mean minutes too. Because I can use 5,000-6,000 a month. 90% of that is weekdays for my business sales.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The larger screen on the EVO is so much of an advantage with a little gain is device size. I can't even use my g/f's iPhone 4g now since it just seems so small and unusable on the web.

Apart from being less expensive, Sprint's service, at least here in NYC (and even without 4g), is so much better to AT&T it's shameful. From my experience with a 3GS, I don't know how AT&T gets away with charging for their garbage network. I think the pros/cons of both devices put them pretty much on even footing, but AT&T is a total deal-breaker.

The benefits of the iPhone lie in it's more physically solid design, ease-of-use of iOS and snappier performance and battery life (the "Live" wallpapers on the EVO just kill it).

The larger screen on the EVO is so much of an advantage with a little gain is device size. I can't even use my g/f's iPhone 4g now since it just seems so small and unusable on the web.

Apart from being less expensive, Sprint's service, at least here in NYC (and even without 4g), is so much better to AT&T it's shameful. From my experience with a 3GS, I don't know how AT&T gets away with charging for their garbage network. I think the pros/cons of both devices put them pretty much on even footing, but AT&T is a total deal-breaker.

The benefits of the iPhone lie in it's more physically solid design, ease-of-use of iOS and snappier performance and battery life (the "Live" wallpapers on the EVO just kill it).

Totally agree. And I think ATT is the deal breaker for most now a days. I admit the iPhone4 is a very nice piece of tech, and very high quality construction. But then ATT just asks you to bend over and take their bill up the ass. Just compare the full everything unlimited packages. Sprint is like $50-$60 cheaper per month, plus your getting 4G on the Spring network if you live anywhere but hillbilly-ville. And Sprint does not data cap you like ATT does.

I think Apple would sell 5 million iPhone's the first weekend if they opened it up to Verizon and T-Mobile.

My AT&T bill:

$45 for 450 minutes
$15 for 200 MB data
$5 for 200 texts
Total: $65/month

The cheapest EVO plan is $80 a month. Yes, it comes with more but I don't need more. The EVO would have been much, much more attractive if I didn't have to pay an extra $10/month for a feature I can't use (4G).

My old iPhone3G bill with full unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, data and internet w/tax was $184 per month. The same plan with T-Mobile right now on my Nexus-One w/tax is $107.

My Brother who just bought the EVO 4G, and also has full unlimited minutes, texts, data, etc...is w/tax like $118.

450 minutes would never get me past one week. I use my phone to talk to my clients for my supply business to custom home builders. At night and weekend my phone never gets used except for maybe texts and internet. 90% of my phone calls are on weekdays

My AT&T bill:

$45 for 450 minutes
$15 for 200 MB data
$5 for 200 texts

The cheapest EVO plan is $80 a month. Yes, it comes with more but I don't need more. The EVO would have been much, much more attractive if I didn't have to pay an extra $10/month for a feature I can't use (4G).

Plus Tax and fee's your at $75 a Month and your limited to the edge on data and text. These days people go way over 200 text a month alone.

Plus Tax and fee's your at $75 a Month and your limited to the edge on data and text. These days people go way over 200 text a month alone.

I think my phone would use more than 200mb of data and send 200 texts just sitting by itself on my nightstand... :D

My AT&T bill:

$45 for 450 minutes
$15 for 200 MB data
$5 for 200 texts

LOL 200mb of data are you retarded ? you would use that in one day !

the reason the evo uses more battery than the iphone 4 is because it's os actually really multitask rather than smoke and mirrors like apple

LOL 200mb of data are you retarded ? you would use that in one day !

the reason the evo uses more battery than the iphone 4 is because it's os actually really multitask rather than smoke and mirrors like apple

I use this little thing called WiFi. Also, the iphone 4 has way more battery life even without mutlitasking. And the few apps I've been using that have implemented multitasking are great. But yet, it does leave more work to the developers which means some or all may not be updated sufficiently.

I've had my iphone for 6 days and I already used 120MB Cellular Data according to my iPhone usuage status (whatever that means). I use Wifi at most locations at home, work and my girlfriends house. I download apps from itunes on my laptop and sync it to my phone. I use non-wifi data when im jogging/working out, out shopping with the gf (fuck i hate shopping with women), play online games with buddies, share photos and upload videos (this eats up a fuck load of data), YOUTUBE when im out and about, especially when im pooling. When im doing outdoor activities, ill use data off my apps as well. If you go over your data usage, you're goign to wish you had the 2GB plan.

I've had my iphone for 6 days and I already used 120MB Cellular Data according to my iPhone usuage status (whatever that means). I use Wifi at most locations at home, work and my girlfriends house. I download apps from itunes on my laptop and sync it to my phone. I use non-wifi data when im jogging/working out, out shopping with the gf (fuck i hate shopping with women), play online games with buddies, share photos and upload videos (this eats up a fuck load of data), YOUTUBE when im out and about, especially when im pooling. When im doing outdoor activities, ill use data off my apps as well. If you go over your data usage, you're goign to wish you had the 2GB plan.

I agree. My guess is most of your data is the video sharing like you said. Most of mine is map data and web browsing. Don't really do much streaming or video sharing on 3G. Never really done online gaming on the iphone. Mostly stick to SP games.

Also, you can check your data usage and upgrade if you're getting close mid-month (have done that once).

Also, the iphone 4 has way more battery life even without mutlitasking.
It's the simple stuff.
No live backgrounds, no live weather... Pretty much nothing is live except for email and MMS/SMS. Everything else will have to be invoked by the user.
This includes stuff like even Facebook. FB on Android can pull your newsfeed automatically. That doesn't get invoked on iPhone without user interaction.

So I highly doubt the iPhone's battery life is inherently better... It's just that it doesn't do anything.

Which truth be told isn't a bad thing, but it does give the Evo a ton more flexibility and power than the iPhone.

The EVO tax sucks.

However, rooted + tethering and no cap, I'll pay it.

I don't to a TON of tethering, etc, on this device, but I'm only 10 days in on the month, and I'm already pushing 2 GB. I couldn't handle the restrictions on the data plan.

AT&T would completely ream me.

The EVO tax sucks.

That's really all it is...
Recoups their cost on the phone, I'd imagine.

I'd even accept calling it a 4G fee, but then you'd have to be able to opt out of 4G. So that's not it.

I'd even be willing for them to call it an unlimited cap fee, but then you'd have to be able to opt out of it for a 5GB cap. So that's not it.

The only thing it is is a tax on the phone to help recoup their costs.

WHy do you even have to "root" the android? Isn't it supposed to be FREE for developers to do whatever the hell they want right out of the box?

I don't know anythign about Jailbreaking the iPhones, but I have heard some awesome things about it. is this true?

WHy do you even have to "root" the android? Isn't it supposed to be FREE for developers to do whatever the hell they want right out of the box?

I don't know anythign about Jailbreaking the iPhones, but I have heard some awesome things about it. is this true?

You have to "root" Android for a couple of reasons.

1. You can't have everyone running around with the ability to brick their phones due to ignorance. Root gives you access to everything, bootloader, recovery, and system.

2. Root gives you the ability to do everything, even shit that the carriers want to charge you for, ie, Mobile Hotspots, etc.

What's the main reason of the two. I'd say equal. Even the guys that hang around XDA quite a bit still bitch and moan about things they've done to the phone, even though they could've avoided it all just by reading.

Imagine the populace with that .. lol.

As for jailbreaking, I have an iPad. The device would become significantly less attractive with out it. It's to the point now, I won't consider an iDevice whatsoever without the ability to jailbreak it.

A jailbroken iDevice is worth it. Lots of really neat things you can do.

Played with an EVO at BestBuy today and its just too damned big for me to consider. Its just short of being considered a tablet. How big would you guys say is too big for a cellphone screen? For me the EVO is what I would consider the limit with around 3.75" (half way between the iPhone and EVO) being jsut right. The EVO comes pretty close to not fitting into pockets as it is, and no I will never in my life run around like a super megatard with my phone attached to my hip. HTC should follow Apples lead on the EVO and increase the resolution for the EVO 2 but maintain the 4" size. In my pockets it might get crushed as it fills the entire pocket.

Don't knock the iPhone 4g's screen until you have seen how stunningly beautiful it is. For me, when it comes to a phone, its all about the screen as I use mine mostly for movies and web browsing. Haven't had a chance to check out the browser on the EVO, but Apple's browser for the iPhone is/maybe was light years ahead of everything else including Opera's Mini. I say was because I haven't played with every cellphone in existence.

Everyone likes to trash the iPhone as the worst thing to happen to cellphones when they wont even consider where we might be if Apple hadn't shown everyone else how to do it. We would still be on 2" monochrome screens.

Played with an EVO at BestBuy today and its just too damned big for me to consider. Its just short of being considered a tablet. How big would you guys say is too big for a cellphone screen? For me the EVO is what I would consider the limit with around 3.75" (half way between the iPhone and EVO) being jsut right. The EVO comes pretty close to not fitting into pockets as it is, and no I will never in my life run around like a super megatard with my phone attached to my hip. HTC should follow Apples lead on the EVO and increase the resolution for the EVO 2 but maintain the 4" size. In my pockets it might get crushed as it fills the entire pocket.

Don't knock the iPhone 4g's screen until you have seen how stunningly beautiful it is. For me, when it comes to a phone, its all about the screen as I use mine mostly for movies and web browsing. Haven't had a chance to check out the browser on the EVO, but Apple's browser for the iPhone is/maybe was light years ahead of everything else including Opera's Mini. I say was because I haven't played with every cellphone in existence.

Everyone likes to trash the iPhone as the worst thing to happen to cellphones when they wont even consider where we might be if Apple hadn't shown everyone else how to do it. We would still be on 2" monochrome screens.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that the EVO doesn't fit what you like.

Personally, the screen size alone WAS the reason to get the phone. The iPhone 4s screen is gorgeous. It's too small for any real browsing.

I certainly don't trash the iPhone for being terrible. It's a great phone in alot of ways.

Personally, however, I wouldn't own an iDevice without the ability to jailbreak it. It's way too restrictive, and I don't like living inside of iTunes.

Lastly, I'm sorry, but charging for cloud based backup, is a massive fail as well. Seriously, this is 2010 and still not having cloud based syncing without paying a massive $99 per year fee is stupidity of the highest order.

That needs to be changed.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that the EVO doesn't fit what you like.

Personally, the screen size alone WAS the reason to get the phone. The iPhone 4s screen is gorgeous. It's too small for any real browsing.

I certainly don't trash the iPhone for being terrible. It's a great phone in alot of ways.

Personally, however, I wouldn't own an iDevice without the ability to jailbreak it. It's way too restrictive, and I don't like living inside of iTunes.

Lastly, I'm sorry, but charging for cloud based backup, is a massive fail as well. Seriously, this is 2010 and still not having cloud based syncing without paying a massive $99 per year fee is stupidity of the highest order.

That needs to be changed.

I guess I am one of the ultra rare people that hardly does any texting, social grouping, emailing, or have any news programs that require syncing. All them things are just useless features to me.

I seriously use it mostly for mobile web browsing, media playback, and calls. I would get an iPod instead if it could use 3G for mobile browsing.

I probably would have gotten an EVO if I hadn't seen the resolution of the new iPhone.

How would they not know that the phone is using as much data as a typical home account? I would think the people that do this versus non-tethering have a severely substantial high data usage. But when the new iPhone is jailbroken I might just have to check out what exactly can be done.

I probably would have gotten an EVO if I hadn't seen the resolution of the new iPhone.
Looks above function for Apple lovers, eh?

Seriously, what's the actual benefit to the iPhone 4's screen other than marketing gimmick?

Yes, it looks nice. Yes, more devices should implement it. But it's not really a feature that helps you be more productive or anything. Now, if the iPhone 4 offered advantages ALONG WITH that, it'd be a different story. However letting it come down to screen alone is rather silly.

How would they not know that the phone is using as much data as a typical home account? I would think the people that do this versus non-tethering have a severely substantial high data usage. But when the new iPhone is jailbroken I might just have to check out what exactly can be done.
Because ATT caps everything.
You might be able to tether it OK but there's only so far ATT will let you go with that before you get cut off (or in the case of the new plans, they just start charging you more).

Seriously, what's the actual benefit to the iPhone 4's screen other than marketing gimmick?

Yes, it looks nice. Yes, more devices should implement it. But it's not really a feature that helps you be more productive or anything. Now, if the iPhone 4 offered advantages ALONG WITH that, it'd be a different story. However letting it come down to screen alone is rather silly.

Because ATT caps everything.
You might be able to tether it OK but there's only so far ATT will let you go with that before you get cut off (or in the case of the new plans, they just start charging you more).

That's precisely what they'll do. They'll just ding you for more.

To the others : What's better? Dropping $20 a month to your already outrageous data plan costs just to tether, or, jailbreak , spend the 9.99 on MyWi, and be done with it.

Tethering is awesome. Yes you will use more data. Is it worth it? for 9.99 one time (data costs not included)? I'd say yes.

That's precisely what they'll do. They'll just ding you for more.

To the others : What's better? Dropping $20 a month to your already outrageous data plan costs just to tether, or, jailbreak , spend the 9.99 on MyWi, and be done with it.

Tethering is awesome. Yes you will use more data. Is it worth it? for 9.99 one time (data costs not included)? I'd say yes.

The problem with MyWi is that it's an app. Which Apple could pull at any time. (Read: when they figure out it cuts into tethering profits).

not sure where you guys are at
but most of my friends who got sprint got evo 4g
they loved it at first
but eventually they hated it
I even used it just to play with it
that thing is huge like those old palm or digital calendar pads not sure how people deal with it it is like 1/3 of the ipad size to log around with kind of annoying I always thought going towards the future the smaller and more snappy the phone but I guess I was wrong

It's really not a ton bigger.

Dell's 5 incher is way too big. But I'd say the Evo is good size, the max size I'd want on a phone anyway.

Here's a video review, just look at the first few seconds of it to see the size.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wzZ5kQWFyY

to be honest I am loving that htc aria I played with it a little at the bestbuy mobile story at the mall near me yesterday
even tho that thing got 600mhz vs. the evo4g 1ghz
it seems to me the aria is quite snappy I am really liking the phone so much I am thinking about selling the iphone4 hahahhaha I know I know.. downgrade a flagship att phone to a "mid" range cripple droid haha

to be honest I am loving that htc aria I played with it a little at the bestbuy mobile story at the mall near me yesterday
even tho that thing got 600mhz vs. the evo4g 1ghz
it seems to me the aria is quite snappy I am really liking the phone so much I am thinking about selling the iphone4 hahahhaha I know I know.. downgrade a flagship att phone to a "mid" range cripple droid haha

The Aria is actually free with contract on ATT... You're within 30 days, you could return iPhone for a refund and get the Aria for free :D

It's not crippled at all. The Aria is actually a decent phone, it just won't match up to the Evo in terms of speed. (From what I've read, the Aria is perfectly snappy though).

Edit- Another option coming out is the Captivate on ATT in a month or two. It's a non-slider (100% touch) phone. Just as beefy as Evo (might lack a front camera though), but thinner, smaller screen, AMOLED display, and double the battery life (Supposedly). That might be an option for you. The downside is dealing with ATT's data capping (Android devices can eat a TON of data).

The problem with MyWi is that it's an app. Which Apple could pull at any time. (Read: when they figure out it cuts into tethering profits).

MyWi has no affiliation with Apple. They are though Cydia upon jailbreaking the phone.

The Aria is actually free with contract on ATT... You're within 30 days, you could return iPhone for a refund and get the Aria for free :D

It's not crippled at all. The Aria is actually a decent phone, it just won't match up to the Evo in terms of speed. (From what I've read, the Aria is perfectly snappy though).

Edit- Another option coming out is the Captivate on ATT in a month or two. It's a non-slider (100% touch) phone. Just as beefy as Evo (might lack a front camera though), but thinner, smaller screen, AMOLED display, and double the battery life (Supposedly). That might be an option for you. The downside is dealing with ATT's data capping (Android devices can eat a TON of data).

true that but honestly man
I like the size of the htc aria I think it might be the smallest decent droid phone from any carrier? I can't stand the size of the evo4g and

I think keeping the 4 and selling it on my own would be profit ;) because I had the first 2g and 3g iphone it is almost all the same to me now... I am loving the htc design and might go to the flagship htc droid phone when it suppose to come out end of the summer supposedly with samsung and dell and SONYx10a but oh wells I can't stand the size of the evo.. it is just crazy..I like at&t mostly.. I can't stand verizon's cs and at&t cs is great.. tmobile service and cs is crap I might or maybe not switch to sprint one of these days just to see..
in about 2-3 years maybe

How can someone on a hardcore computer forum not understand the benefit of a higher resolution? Yes, it has many benefits. One of the big ones being making text on non-mobile websites much, much easier to read.

MyWi has no affiliation with Apple. They are though Cydia upon jailbreaking the phone.
Well, iPhone 4 hasn't been jailbroken yet... I've heard it theoretically has been, but haven't heard of anyone actually doing it yet, unless that's changed recently.

How can someone on a hardcore computer forum not understand the benefit of a higher resolution? Yes, it has many benefits. One of the big ones being making text on non-mobile websites much, much easier to read.

That's true.

I love my EVO, the phone is quite usable - although I do have large hands. and the screen is great - I can squint and still not see an individual pixel. The resolution difference at least for me is like debating the efficacy of a 100 megaton warhead versus a 95 - at ground zero it looks pretty much the same. I have had no battery issues, but then again I plug it in every night. If you are happier with the iPhone here's to your happiness. I tend to like my screens a little larger.

I've had my Evo since launch and so far I'm lovin it! The screen is awesome and I can no longer go back to the small iPhone screen for browsing, I actually find myself using the Evo more than my iPad to browse and watch YouTube. So far sprint service has been great with much better reception and data for less than at&t and Google nav app is amazing. Overall the Evo is much better than my previous iPhone 3gs and Sprint provides much better service for less I will NEVER go back to at&t they are by far the worst service provider that I have ever dealt with.

Back