iPhone 3GS - expectations met?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
So it's here. I think my wait (skipping the 3G) was worth it. Cheap, fast, 32GB, better battery life.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5283099/iphone-3gs-complete-feature-guide

I'm happy. :D Very curious to see what's going to happen with the OpenGL stuff. Carmack, please port Quake 3!!! :eek:

On a side note, it appears Apple has addressed every single "bitching point" that the competitors and bashers like to harp on. Really socked it to Palm too with the $99 iPhone. I have a feeling that, in light of the economy, that model is going to sell like hot cakes, especially since AT&T is lowing the service fees soon.

No front facing camera for video iChat, booo!

But the openGL/graphics was pretty sweet. Wonder if the rumors from last week are a bit true with a build in graphics chip. Then again it could be that they don't wanna make it that you have to have the new iPhone to play games, they don't wanna make old owners feel left out.

That's sort of the weird bind they're in. They want to offer new features, but they also can't go overboard and alienate all of the current owners.
I think the front facing camera's still something everyone wanted and expected but didn't show up.
The other things are nice, but it feels like a lot smaller of an upgrade than 2G to 3G...hence them keeping the 3G models on sale.

I think keeping the 8 gig 3g phone for $99 is a smart move on there part, but I don't think its because it isn't a substantial upgrade, its to slowly phase it out; I give apple 4 months before that phone is phased out of the lineup completely

I wasn't holding my breath for the OLED screen, but the front-facing camera I was seriously looking forward to seeing and was let down when it was just a rumor. :( Maybe on the next iPhone.

That said, the rest of the features look great. Sure, the 3G users are going to be a bit sore over it (just enough to feel outdated, but not enough to pay the premium for a new phone). They're also not happy about the price for upgrades (full retail), but the 1st gen iPhone cost a butt load more as well.

That said, adding:
-Better camera/picture taking software for it
-Video
-Better battery life
-Faster processor
-Compass (For maps, I seriously find this very cool but not mega sexy for most users)
-Voice commands

Considering I'm on a Treo 700wx right now, this is looking very appealing. If I had a 3G, I'd probably hold out for next year's version of the iPhone. The only thing that concerns me is AT&T. Meh,

Considering I'm on a Treo 700wx right now, this is looking very appealing. If I had a 3G, I'd probably hold out for next year's version of the iPhone. The only thing that concerns me is AT&T. Meh,

Yeah, if I had a 3G, I'd hold out till next year where they might have a front facing camera, but considering I don't:D

On a other note, even id they would have a front facing camera, a lot of people that I know got iPhones either last year or most of them this year (before the 3GS, after I told them to wait), so I don't see a lot of them getting into the iChat video thing anytime soon nor even next year if they do add it. I do however in 2 years when a most of them are going to be eligible for an upgrade, especially if the camera launches next year so they will get one with a camera before the following years model.

I'm just pissed that AT&T will not allow tethering and said it would take until the end of summer to ready MMS. Seriously, what the hell?

Eh, it's a step-up. More like a product life-cycle refresh than anything "must have" for me.

About the only thing that would be nice to have is the video capability.

I'm just pissed that AT&T will not allow tethering and said it would take until the end of summer to ready MMS. Seriously, what the hell?

OK, this is not news. AT&T is upgrading its network this summer, so maybe its just that AT&T can't support those services yet. After the upgrade we will have pre-4G speed, more commonly (well alteast here) known as 3.5G, hence the nickname for this iPhone 3.5G. Now the million dollar question, will AT&T charge out the ass for the tethering service.

OK, this is not news. AT&T is upgrading its network this summer, so maybe its just that AT&T can't support those services yet. After the upgrade we will have pre-4G speed, more commonly (well alteast here) known as 3.5G, hence the nickname for this iPhone 3.5G. Now the million dollar question, will AT&T charge out the ass for the tethering service.

Funny... my wife's blackberry can tether and send MMS just fine right now.

As could my old AT&T WinMo phone.

lol, I have been tethering for more then 3 years now and the network nearly went catatonic when the 3G iPhone was released. And it took AT&T nearly a year to admit it. I use to play FPS fine tether, I haven't been able to enjoy playing an FPS for near that year now.

It wasn't just that the 3G iPhone was slow, but all those 3G iPhones going active was way to much for AT&T and still is. This is one of the reason I've been keeping my ear so close to the road with this upgrade. I was irritated with the techs that originally told be AT&T was going to full 4G by the end of summer and then it turned out not to be true.

I have a jail broken iphone and I tether and have a video recorder currently. So I don't really care about the 3G S. Ive been tethering for 2 months, AT&T has never said anything, I even used my Iphone to play WOW on a recent road trip. I will upgrade when they no dobut release a 4g iphone next year.

It wasn't just that the 3G iPhone was slow, but all those 3G iPhones going active was way to much for AT&T and still is./QUOTE]

I remember reading an article to this effect a few weeks ago. It said the average iPhone uses something like 50MB/month of network, which far exceeds what AT&T planned around, and is really congesting their now-oversold network.

Can you have the $30/300 min voice plan with the iPhone? I don't need 450 mins.

For anyone with a 3G phone already, the 3G isn't that huge of a deal probably.

To those with an original iPhone (before the 3G came along), like someone I work with, it's a much bigger incentive to buy.

He's already drooling at having 32GB to load up with pron, er I mean music.....yeah right. :D

Not that impressed with the 3GS. This is coming from a 2.5G user. But i'll probably upgrade regardless. No way I'm going to continue to fork over $75 a month out of contract. Was thinking of going with a BB 8900, but the WebKit browser is a large selling point for me.

they are sticking a 3 year old camera in there (as we are starting to get 12megapixel cameras and hd video recording on phones this summer), and still no word on multitasking, no front facing camera, apple starting to get cocky mocking other companies!

I am very disappointed in the 3GS. I like the faster internals (however we still don't know what processor its using) and I like the video recording. However, I see this more of a mid-life cycle upgrade. I'll wait till the next revision to upgrade.

I am one of the orginal iphone users so I was looking forward to hearing what apple had to offer. I am not impressed. Since I did not upgrade to 3G it does have some things that I could use. However I was hoping for more like the OLED and front facing camera. I know maybe I was hoping for too much here. I am still pissed at AT&T for not having MMS support ready. My wife and son have been sending all sorts of stuff on MMS on our AT&T family plans using their razors but know I have to wait even longer? WHY?

I pre-ordered the 32GB 3GS, last night. This would be my first iPhone. However, I just got off the phone with one of my best buds (in San Francisco) who's an absolutely fanatical iPhone freak. He's owned every new release, but suggested that I wait 'til next year for true 4G, OLED, a few more improvements. Bummer, 'cuz I was pretty excited about finally getting an iPhone. Not sure what to do now. :(

I have the 3g already and will be waiting for the next revision to upgrade... Couple neat features... but nothing I need really and nothing I'm going to pay a premium for.

decent upgrade for 1st gen iphones, good for new iphone users, lame for 3g. I can do pretty much most of the upgrades with a jailbreak. I just wanted a new one since I got some cracks in mine. :( hopefully it'll last until next year... or palm releases a 32gb touchscreen phone with the same size as the iphone.

I pre-ordered the 32GB 3GS, last night. This would be my first iPhone. However, I just got off the phone with one of my best buds (in San Francisco) who's an absolutely fanatical iPhone freak. He's owned every new release, but suggested that I wait 'til next year for true 4G, OLED, a few more improvements. Bummer, 'cuz I was pretty excited about finally getting an iPhone. Not sure what to do now. :(

Tough call if they will even go that far, depends on if the technology is at a price point they can make the profit really.

LOL, just got done talking to AT&T. Pre-order does not guarantee an iPhone 3GS, in fact you have the same chance as someone who comes in that day to pick one up. Also, I can only pick up one iPhone on release, even with family plan, so I'm going to be saving about $40 on release. AT&T quickly shoot my tethering questions saying they have "no fucking clue" and 'guesses' that they won't have any tethering until September. Illegal tethering here I come.

I have a current 3G iPhone and would like the new one but will have to wait for the upgrade however. Looks like 3.0 software will improve my iPhone a fair bit! Here in the UK we are getting tethering and MMS!

I think it is lame. Especially since the main new feature (7.2 HSPDA) is not even going to be rolled out completely for a few years...by then the next iphone will be out anyways.

-New OS...Available on others as well
-Better Camera....Still sucks badly overall
-Compass.....What? Ya..I can honestly say I have never wanted or needed a compass in my phone.
-Faster Speeds/Processor.....Ok, maybe usable, I dunno...seems kinda lame if they are gonna bone the rest of the iPhone/iPod user base with apps that dont work really well on them now.

WEAKSAUCE is all I can say.

Im planning on jumping on this since it's a good upgrade from my 2G iphone however im disappointed in the case of the iPhone. I wanted something a bit more interesting.

Funny thing is I just got my 8GB iPhone 3G last Friday, thank god for the 30 day return policy. I will be turning it in on release day for a 16GB iPhone 3GS if I can get ahold of one.

Love how iTunes syncs everything, switching will be a breeze.

Back