iPhone 12

Was just waking past a T-Mobile store, checked out the iPhone 12 Pro, first impressions;

- Build quality abd design A+ top notch

- But WTF is up with the crap gesture navigation? You can't swipe back from anywhere on the screen like you can on Android? I always hated that the iPhone never have software nav keys on the bottom like Android since day one, then both platforms moved to the gesture system, and I hated that. Was so upset Google went full gesture based navigation, took me forever to get comfortable with it, after a decade of software keys on the bottom of my phone's.

- My point, playing with the iPhone 12 Pro now, I was swiping back to get out of apps, and nothing happened. It wasn't working. I had to ask the T-Mobile rep if the phone was broken or buggy LOL she says you can only swipe at the bottom of the screen. Not just anywhere like on Android.

- Wow, iOS. I think I'd maybe like it, but just more stupid BS from Apple and terrible gesture system. I hated gesture nav on my Pixel at first, just couldn't stand it. But accepted it finally. But holy cow Apples version sucks balls.

- And then that very strange behavior, when you swipe down on the screen, some bizarre search menu pops up out of nowhere. Swiping down anywhere in the screen should bring the notification shade down with missed texts or emails to reply to right from there. But there's some bug or something with this crazy search thing coming up.
Literally none of this is your impression of the phone except the design ... it's entirely about iOS. It's been this way for a decade now. If a developer wants to implement a back type navigation button without their app they can, and most do implement some version of it. It really isn't that big of a deal, though I do like that about Android.

Android you can swipe back from either side, the right or left, and from any area on that side, the top, middle or bottom.

Trust me, I hated gesture nav when Google first adopted it, I resisted for a good year, but gave in, I still don't love it, but I use it now, and find it ok. But just trying the iPhone 12 Pro it felt very different and not comfortable.

But to be fair, that demo phone was in a security clamp and bolted down, so I didn't have free range to truly try it. I'll give it another shot when I can actually hold the phone in my hand.

I still prefer software nav keys at the bottom, for the three keys; Back, Home, and Recents. But I understand that's outdated now, plus with phones so large the gesture systems are better.

I'm finding out there is no perfect phone. LOL.

The iPhone 12 Pro build quality is outstanding great. The display is amazing. But iOS ugh.

Same with my Pixel's, I love stock Android, but frigging Google puts sh1t hardware inside, always skimping out and half assing it. Or just making dumb design decisions. The Pixel phones could be so much better if they actually cared or tried harder. But I've been waiting years for Google to wake up, and make the holy grail Nexus / Pixel, and I'm still waiting.

And OnePlus was making headway getting better year after year, they were becoming the Super Nexus phone, the true flagship Pixel but better, but now they've gotten wonky still mediocre cameras, and they moved to that dumb curved edge display design, and their software used to be a tweeked stock Android but now it's becoming like Samsung One UI. OnePlus seems a little lost on who they want to be? Plus they kind of suck on updates and supporting their phones. Plus Chinese spyware?

Oh well...that's just the way it is I guess, there's no perfect smartphone.

Last edited:
Dont worry the 120Mhz display and crap will be in the Iphone 12 Pro Super Duper version to release in 6 months giving everyone who jumps on these first models buyers remorse, in typical Apple fashion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since iOS and the iPhone are both made in house by Apple, isn't the OS very snappy and smooth, and 60hz still feels good, and no problems whatsoever? Where with Android it has a history of certain phones being laggy and the 120hz really helps smooth out the Android OS, and is very noticeable difference.

My point being, I bet 120hz on an iPhone wouldn't be as night and day feel, compared to like 120hz on a Samsung Galaxy, which really does feel like a big difference

Was just waking past a T-Mobile store, checked out the iPhone 12 Pro, first impressions;

- Build quality abd design A+ top notch

- But WTF is up with the crap gesture navigation? You can't swipe back from anywhere on the screen like you can on Android? I always hated that the iPhone never have software nav keys on the bottom like Android since day one, then both platforms moved to the gesture system, and I hated that. Was so upset Google went full gesture based navigation, took me forever to get comfortable with it, after a decade of software keys on the bottom of my phone's.

- My point, playing with the iPhone 12 Pro now, I was swiping back to get out of apps, and nothing happened. It wasn't working. I had to ask the T-Mobile rep if the phone was broken or buggy LOL she says you can only swipe at the bottom of the screen. Not just anywhere like on Android.

- Wow, iOS. I think I'd maybe like it, but just more stupid BS from Apple and terrible gesture system. I hated gesture nav on my Pixel at first, just couldn't stand it. But accepted it finally. But holy cow Apples version sucks balls.

- And then that very strange behavior, when you swipe down on the screen, some bizarre search menu pops up out of nowhere. Swiping down anywhere in the screen should bring the notification shade down with missed texts or emails to reply to right from there. But there's some bug or something with this crazy search thing coming up.
It does swipe back. You have to go from left edge of screen to right to swipe back. You bring the notifications down on the right side of the screen by swiping down from the top right. It's not the phones fault you aren't familiar with using it. :)

Just swipe left or right on the very bottom (a white bar will show up and you can flip between open apps, left or right). Or slight hold from the bottom to bring up all the apps to flip through. Swipe down from upper right to get to control center. Swipe down from upper left to get notifications. Still prefer how Android handles notifications but iOS works well enough.

Just swipe left or right on the very bottom (a white bar will show up and you can flip between open apps, left or right). Or slight hold from the bottom to bring up all the apps to flip through. Swipe down from upper right to get to control center. Swipe down from upper left to get notifications. Still prefer how Android handles notifications but iOS works well enough.

Thanks for the detailed explanation 👍

Dont worry the 120Mhz display and crap will be in the Iphone 12 Pro Super Duper version to release in 6 months giving everyone who jumps on these first models buyers remorse, in typical Apple fashion.
If this is typical Apple fashion, I’m sure you have lots of examples?

I admit the iPhone 12 Pro Max should be a beast and super smartphone. But I keep hearing it's a HUGE phone. People have cases for it already, someone did his Note 20 Ultra with a case on it, easily fit inside his new case for the 12 Pro Max, and still had gaps.

So the iPhone 12 Pro Max will probably be the best smartphone of the year, but it's basically a tablet.

I admit the iPhone 12 Pro Max should be a beast and super smartphone. But I keep hearing it's a HUGE phone. People have cases for it already, someone did his Note 20 Ultra with a case on it, easily fit inside his new case for the 12 Pro Max, and still had gaps.

So the iPhone 12 Pro Max will probably be the best smartphone of the year, but it's basically a tablet.

A bit taller than an iPhone 8 Plus. Same width and a touch thinner. About 1 oz. heavier. 6.7” screen (~87.4% screen-to-body ratio) vs 5.5” screen (~67.4% screen-to-body ratio). If you didn’t mind the size of the 8+ the 12 Pro Max should be about the same physically.

Slightly larger than last years 11 Pro Max but also thinner.

Compared to a large Android phone...

Not as tall as the Note 20 Ultra but a bit wider and thinner. About 1 oz heavier

Attachments

• 02ADDDBF-E9F9-4C5B-A73E-3FC1C95305B9.jpeg
    02ADDDBF-E9F9-4C5B-A73E-3FC1C95305B9.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D4F2539D-B169-468A-B188-B67FD691275E.jpeg
    D4F2539D-B169-468A-B188-B67FD691275E.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 0
  • 5F60514E-09A4-4C52-A933-B01DDA099767.jpeg
    5F60514E-09A4-4C52-A933-B01DDA099767.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 0
Yeah the 12 Pro Max won't be the only largest phone out, there's still plenty bigger. My thing is, even with the displays being all screen and little bezel, they're making them to the point they need to stop increasing the size every year. I could see the Galaxy Note 30 Ultra being 7". They just gotta stop at some point. Or speak with your wallet and if those gigantic sizes don't sell they'll make the next gen smaller.

How bout stuff larger batteries in the smaller phones too. Make a 6" iPhone, with all the high end Pro features not skimping one bit, but pack a huge battery inside, to equal the Max size battery life.

Yeah the 12 Pro Max won't be the only largest phone out, there's still plenty bigger. My thing is, even with the displays being all screen and little bezel, they're making them to the point they need to stop increasing the size every year. I could see the Galaxy Note 30 Ultra being 7". They just gotta stop at some point. Or speak with your wallet and if those gigantic sizes don't sell they'll make the next gen smaller.

How bout stuff larger batteries in the smaller phones too. Make a 6" iPhone, with all the high end Pro features not skimping one bit, but pack a huge battery inside, to equal the Max size battery life.
I really don’t know why they are still trying to go thinner at this point. They could add 2mm to the thickness and give a bigger battery and folks would still be happy with its thickness. That said, considering that the 12 Pro beats the 11 Pro in 4G only mode, I don’t think Apple missed the mark on battery life here at all. Not to mention Apple’s phone is so efficient that it could use nearly half the battery of a competing android Snapdragon 865 phone and still have better battery life while running circles around them in benchmarks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since iOS and the iPhone are both made in house by Apple, isn't the OS very snappy and smooth, and 60hz still feels good, and no problems whatsoever? Where with Android it has a history of certain phones being laggy and the 120hz really helps smooth out the Android OS, and is very noticeable difference.

My point being, I bet 120hz on an iPhone wouldn't be as night and day feel, compared to like 120hz on a Samsung Galaxy, which really does feel like a big difference
The iPad Pro is 120 Hz and it’s very noticeable. I’m very much looking forward to it coming to the iPhone. It's like the entire UI was dipped in butter.

Trimlock typical apple fashion like releasing their new model phone lacking features that every other phone has had on the market for a year plus, and then adding it 6 months later or on their next phone, because they claim they could not do it (also doing it on their laptops in terms of hardware used, always a 1-2 years behind). I do recall this years past happening often when Apple was falling behind on features from other makers like Samsung.

Trimlock typical apple fashion like releasing their new model phone lacking features that every other phone has had on the market for a year plus, and then adding it 6 months later or on their next phone, because they claim they could not do it (also doing it on their laptops in terms of hardware used, always a 1-2 years behind). I do recall this years past happening often when Apple was falling behind on features from other makers like Samsung.
Again, they've literally never done this ever and I'm not sure what planet or universe you're living in. Apple isn't behind 1-2 years. They might not release features that Android phones have right away, but they have the best camera for photos and videos (such as shooting in Dolby Vision HDR, which no other phone does right now), they have the fastest chip of any smart phone and have for years now, and they release their phones a year apart, not 6 months apart. They don't randomly release a mid-cycle phone halfway through the year with more features. They've never done that and it makes you sound very silly to be honest. Are they lacking Android features? Sure. But your original statement about Apple's "typical fashion" is just plain wrong. If you love Android, that's great. Use Android. But blatantly pulling incorrect information out of your nether region isn't helping you or anyone else.

A month ago when iOS 14 officially came out and remember seeing all these YouTube videos on how to theme your iPhone and change the icons but it used this weird shortcuts method which seem annoying, So every time you would click your app it would run shortcuts for a second or two and then launch the app.

But wasn't there something recently that came out that could avoid that? Icon themer or something?

Some of the setups I've seen using this look super cool beautiful setups on these iPhone home screens. I wonder if this will get Apple thinking about possibly officially adding theming in iOS 15?

A month ago when iOS 14 officially came out and remember seeing all these YouTube videos on how to theme your iPhone and change the icons but it used this weird shortcuts method which seem annoying, So every time you would click your app it would run shortcuts for a second or two and then launch the app.

But wasn't there something recently that came out that could avoid that? Icon themer or something?

Some of the setups I've seen using this look super cool beautiful setups on these iPhone home screens. I wonder if this will get Apple thinking about possibly officially adding theming in iOS 15?
No, you still can't theme your phone. Not like Android. You can only use weird workarounds, which aren't really the same thing and I couldn't stand having my phone like that. It would be nice if there was more customization, but customization has never been an Apple thing.

I'm curious about them removing the data port completely. Certain things like restoring can't be done easily without a USB connection to a computer. They'd also have to move iOS into the MacOS ability to restore OTA.

Wouldn't count on it. It took Apple the better part of two decades to add a dark theme to the modern MacOS; I wouldn't expect it to allow theme packs on an iPhone. Although I am happy that even this ad hoc theming is an option.

You provided no examples and proved to the rest in this thread that you have never witnessed an Apple release.

Apple never mentions why it didn't include a popular Android feature.

Apple's phone releases are 1 year apart, the only time it released a new phone mid year was the iPhone SE.

Can you provide an example of Apple making claims to why they couldn't 'add' a feature from Android?

I'm curious about them removing the data port completely. Certain things like restoring can't be done easily without a USB connection to a computer. They'd also have to move iOS into the MacOS ability to restore OTA.
I don't think this is something even remotely on the horizon, unless Apple makes a big push to get people to buy wireless charging.

In the past and even recently there were rumors where Apple was trying to make it so if you had any major hard glitches you had to bring the phone into an Apple store and them removing the data port would make it harder for side vendors to access their devices.

USB-C FFS! I want that Lightning port dead.
At the rate things are going, you might not see any port.

I also think we overstate the importance of ditching Lightning. Yeah, USB-C would make for universal cables and maybe enable a few more accessories, but I don't think it would actually change the landscape much. You don't use wired peripherals with phones as much as you do with tablets or PCs, and Lightning cables are pretty easy to find.

Back