iPhone 11 and 11 Pro / Max

melk

[H]ard|Gawd
I've never had the S version of any iPhone, and always went with the 4,5,6,7 etc... Skipped the 8/X and finally got the XS last year.

I must say the battery life jump alone over the XS is insane, along with the new cameras, since photography is probably 80% of my use of my phone.

I'm currently on a payment plan through my carrier AT&T so I need to go talk to them and figure what it would look like to upgrade through them, and then talk to Apple and see how I can switch to their upgrade plan.

The drop tests are super impressive and I might go careless. Trying to decide between the white and green.

I've never had the S version of any iPhone, and always went with the 4,5,6,7 etc... Skipped the 8/X and finally got the XS last year.

I must say the battery life jump alone over the XS is insane, along with the new cameras, since photography is probably 80% of my use of my phone.

I'm currently on a payment plan through my carrier AT&T so I need to go talk to them and figure what it would look like to upgrade through them, and then talk to Apple and see how I can switch to their upgrade plan.

The drop tests are super impressive and I might go careless. Trying to decide between the white and green.

I'd be inclined to choose the green, not so much for the novelty of it as that the colored steel is more likely to avoid scratches than the 'plain' steel on the white model.

With that said: I'm also an XS user and don't feel a rush myself. I know the 2020 model is believed to be a big upgrade, and I'd be pining for it even if I had an iPhone 11 Pro land in my lap. Might as well wring more use out of my current phone.

I’m on T-Mobile JOD and it’s in fact cheaper monthly for me to go to the 11 from the XR. Holy crap, the phone is noticeably faster. As for the XS to 11 Pro upgrade, based on what you just said using that phone that much for photography, I would recommend it because night shots are that important.

I think the Apple yearly upgrade program is the best because Apple includes Apple Care+.

only reason I’m still on JOD is mostly convenience.

The other iPhone 11 thread in this sub-forum was locked as it was derailed per usual.
I thought I brought it back on track after my mediation... quite frankly it was derailed due to people getting out of their way to defend Apple. Don’t see people so passionately defend Google or OnePlus. But enough about that!

I thought I brought it back on track after my mediation... quite frankly it was derailed due to people getting out of their way to defend Apple. Don’t see people so passionately defend Google or OnePlus. But enough about that!
We just wanted a thread to talk about Apple’s latest phone and not derail the thread into yet another discussion of iOS and how it compares to Android. A topic that was repeatedly brought up by the same individual in the same thread 5 times because it wasn’t catching traction and got to the point it annoyed some of us. This topic derails the new iPhone thread every year and is brought up by, yet again, the same individual.

We’ve asked for a separate thread for the iOS vs. Android topic since it warrants it. That was literally what we were asking as to avoid derailing the iPhone 11 thread into another iOS whine fest by a user that has clearly never liked iOS to begin with (and that’s completely fine). But I guess it’s just easier to derail the thread, lock it down, and then claim we were defending Apple when we just wanted to discuss the actual phone. This derailment never happens in the Google or OnePlus thread because no one goes out of their way to derail it by bringing up iOS in threads about Android phones.

That is all I have to say on that matter.

Last edited:
Yeah the fact that Apple's upgrade program includes AppleCare+ is a huge benefit, so I'm going to see what I need to do to switch over.

I also read that you can now extend AppleCare beyond the normal time limits as well, which is extra nice as some items (MacBook, iPad) I tend to use for more than 3 years, so having coverage on those older devices is really nice as well.

Chang3D with T-Mobile, to get the 11 Pro Max, is it still the $349 down?

Yeah the fact that Apple's upgrade program includes AppleCare+ is a huge benefit, so I'm going to see what I need to do to switch over.

I also read that you can now extend AppleCare beyond the normal time limits as well, which is extra nice as some items (MacBook, iPad) I tend to use for more than 3 years, so having coverage on those older devices is really nice as well.
That is correct, this is the first year I didn’t outright buy 24 months of AppleCare+ because if you pay monthly then it can go on indefinitely past 24 months. It’s more expensive to pay monthly though.

Last edited:
I wonder why the iPhone 11 seems to have worse battery life than the 11 Pro in the hands of some reviewers. Have we really reached the point where even a higher resolution OLED can outperform an LCD? Fascinating if true.

I wonder why the iPhone 11 seems to have worse battery life than the 11 Pro in the hands of some reviewers. Have we really reached the point where even a higher resolution OLED can outperform an LCD? Fascinating if true.
I think apple’s website shows a 3 hour difference between the 11 and the 11 pro max. To me, the phones sport some crazy battery life already. Apple has always been good about sacrificing certain capabilities for the sake of battery life, which is why I think we lost 3D Touch.

I’m still sad about that, I really liked it.

The iPhone shortcut scripting thing is pretty neat, but I need some extra directions.

That should be fixed today. 13.1.1 was released and should address it. I expect to see more tests done that show the 11 destroy the 11 pro like its supposed to.

That should be fixed today. 13.1.1 was released and should address it. I expect to see more tests done that show the 11 destroy the 11 pro like its supposed to.
I don’t see it destroying the 11 Pro. They’ll likely be comparable and not far off from each other.

That is correct, this is the first year I didn’t outright buy 24 months of AppleCare+ because if you pay monthly then it can go on indefinitely past 24 months. It’s more expensive to pay monthly though.
That's how I did AC+ for the iPad Pro I bought, last year. I splurged on the 12.9" version because I wanted a nice mobile content consumption device to stream Netflix, Amazon, YouTube TV and read ebooks. I plan on keeping this thing for as many years of service as I can squeeze out of it. $6/month for indefinite AC+ is a small price to keep it running.

Last edited:
Just ordered my 11 Pro max today and my girlfriend an 11. I'm upgrading from a iPhone X and her from a iPhone 8. Should be here at the middle of the month. I'm happy to be going back to a bigger phone.

Just ordered my 11 Pro max today and my girlfriend an 11. I'm upgrading from a iPhone X and her from a iPhone 8. Should be here at the middle of the month. I'm happy to be going back to a bigger phone.
If you have an Apple Store or two near you then just check their stock every so often. You should be able to get your phones in a day or two with in store pickup. But that’s only if you don’t want to wait.

It’s a solid upgrade from the X and 8. I actually use/used both of those for my personal and work phones recently. The 11 Pro was a bigger upgrade than I expected personally.

That's how I did AC+ for the iPad Pro I bought, last year. I splurged on the 12.9" version because I wanted a nice mobile content consumption device to stream Netflix, Amazon, YouTube TV and read ebooks. I plan on keeping this thing for as many years of service as I can squeeze out of it. $6/month for indefinite AC+ is a small price to keep it running.

Earlier this month my iPad Pro 10.5 display went bad (not cracked), six weeks outside of the 24 month AppleCare warranty :( Repair estimate was $449 so i just traded it in broken at Best Buy.

I replaced it with an iPad Pro 11 and went with the $6/month plan this time. It’s going to cost $15 more over the first two years, I can live with that to keep the warranty going “forever”. I’d still be using my 10.5 right now if I could have gotten it repaired cheap...

Last edited:
If you have an Apple Store or two near you then just check their stock every so often. You should be able to get your phones in a day or two with in store pickup. But that’s only if you don’t want to wait.

It’s a solid upgrade from the X and 8. I actually use/used both of those for my personal and work phones recently. The 11 Pro was a bigger upgrade than I expected personally.

I have no problem waiting and don't have an Apple store nearby. That's good to hear about the upgrades being noticeable. I got big hands and the X wasn't that comfortable but I managed.

My 11 pro max arrives today. I pre ordered on sept 14th. I’m looking forward to testing it out and seeing how the battery compares real life to my xs max. The xs max already has great battery life for my uses, but if it’s improved that’s a plus.

My 11 pro max arrives today. I pre ordered on sept 14th. I’m looking forward to testing it out and seeing how the battery compares real life to my xs max. The xs max already has great battery life for my uses, but if it’s improved that’s a plus.
11 Max Pro regularly gives me 8-10 hours SoT for reference.

That's double what I get on my Pixel 3XL. :(
Which is weird because this phone has the best battery life since my Pixel 2XL that regularly got 8 hours SoT. Pixel 2XL was also a battery beast for me, not sure why Google ruined that with its next phone.

11 Max Pro regularly gives me 8-10 hours SoT for reference.

I drool at that thought of such amazing battery life :)

I also have the Pixel 3 XL, and like it enough, but man the battery life is mediocre at best, I probably get like 5.5h SoT on average. I would love a phone that goes at least 7.5h to 8h SoT. My wife has my old Pixel 2 XL, and I swear that was a slightly better phone than the 3 XL. The Pixel 2 XL, probably gave me 6h to 6.5h SoT on it's best days, but still nowhere anywhere close to 8h to 10h.

Last edited:
I drool at that thought of such amazing battery life :)

I also have the Pixel 3 XL, and like it enough, but man the battery life is mediocre at best, I probably get like 5.5h SoT on average. I would love a phone that goes at least 7.5h to 8h SoT. My wife has my old Pixel 2 XL, and I swear that was a slightly better phone than the 3 XL. The Pixel 2 XL, probably gave me 6h to 6.5h SoT on it's best days, but still nowhere anywhere close to 8h to 10h.
Maybe I have early onset dementia because I swear the 2XL got me 7-8 hours SoT. I remember it was a major improvement over my 7 Plus at the time.

Maybe I have early onset dementia because I swear the 2XL got me 7-8 hours SoT. I remember it was a major improvement over my 7 Plus at the time.

Wow, 7h to 8h SoT with the Pixel 2 XL, that's AMAZING. We're you running a custom ROM + kernel combo to achieve that?

Appears as though this thread lasted about as long as the last one before complete derailment.

Back on toipic,
That said, to those I said I'd respond about the screen to, I am setting the phone up now.

I get about 6-7 hours SoT on my Pixel 2 XL. Super tempted by the Pro Max right now. I'm just waiting for the Pixel 4 XL reviews before making the decision to finally cross the divide!

I get about 6-7 hours SoT on my Pixel 2 XL. Super tempted by the Pro Max right now. I'm just waiting for the Pixel 4 XL reviews before making the decision to finally cross the divide!
I just texted my boss and told her I'd take her up on an iPhone 11 Pro (not Max). The agency is paying for it, so there's really no reason to refuse. I still have my 3XL and might get an OP7T in a couple weeks. I'll have to use the 11 whenever I'm working. Time will tell if I get tired of switching between phones.

Deep Fusion appears to have a much greater impact on enhancing details than I thought it would.

I'm still bummed I couldn't find any iPhone 11s in stock when Costco had the T-Mobile trade-in. Wait for the next one I guess.

Have an iPhone 11 on order and it should ship next week.

Wanted to go back to a smaller phone again as I went from 7+ to X to XS Max and now 11.

My 11 Pro ships on the 14th. Haven't used an iPhone since my 7 Plus.

Second day on the 11. Not bad so far, just running into the usual stuff you'd expect on an iPhone (e.g., can't set defaults, can't turn off game center, etc.) but after playing a game for 5 hours and only dipping to 50%, all that just fades away.

As a sidenote, anyone who says Apple's stuff is simple has not had to setup a brand new iPhone recently. It's arguably more complex than setting a brand new Pixel, asking you to enable this and that. I suppose that's the price of not setting everything to opt-in like Google, ha!

The one thing I really miss it the always-on display. Too bad even the OLED iPhones don't have that or Apple could have gotten more money out of me!

Last edited:
For those moving from an iPhone to an iPhone you just put them by each other and it recognizes that you have a new iPhone and it will set up the new pine from the old iPhone.

Or just make an encrypted backup in iTunes/iCloud and restore it on the new phone.

I've had mine since day one and I love it. The cameras and battery life really stick out compared to the XS Max. Not that my XS Max struggled with either, it's just that this was such a big upgrade compared to it. I've pulled out my phone a lot more for photos too. Not just taking a picture of something or someone for a reason, but to just capture something.

Had mine for a few days, can’t believe how much easier it is to unlock now.

when I have to use my 6S I have to use that “silly” button.

Back