• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

iPad Mega Review Round-Up

I think it's more that people are annoyed that supposed "tech" reviewers don't know shit about tech and have no idea what the fuck they're talking about, apparently.

I didn't see any factual inaccuracies in the review round-up. Can you point out where they "have no idea what the fuck they're talking about"? It seems people here are just angry that other people like the iPad.
 
I didn't see any factual inaccuracies in the review round-up. Can you point out where they "have no idea what the fuck they're talking about"? It seems people here are just angry that other people like the iPad.

I didn't say there were factual inaccuracies, but when they refer to technical performance with vague, subjective hype-isms such as "brisk" and "it rocks", they're not doing readers a service by "reviewing" it. Why not include some benchmarks, such as how long it takes to open/run certain apps? Maybe even compare against other devices?

I'll quote this post because I feel like it's very accurate.

Since when is "Wicked fast" a measurement for cpu performance?

Browser performace: "Excels at browsing the web".... OMFG IT EXCELS AT IT


what the hell does that even mean?

This is the most useless review sheet ever created. Ever.



Ever.
 
You can get Visual Studio Express for free.
There's also the release candidate for all versions of the new Visual Studio, which are currently free.

They're bloated to all hell, yeah, but that's another debate.
 
I didn't say there were factual inaccuracies, but when they refer to technical performance with vague, subjective hype-isms such as "brisk" and "it rocks", they're not doing readers a service by "reviewing" it.
I suspect the vast majority of people reading these broad-focused mainstream publications aren't interested in seeing benchmarks; they'd rather hear the overall impressions of the reviewer; so in fact, it would be a disservice to bombard them with detailed performance statistics and architectural analysis.

Regardless, the amount of vitriol these positive impressions has spawned amongst online nerds is pretty comical. What's it to you if someone else really likes something that you don't?
 
OMG! IT'S THE OFFICIAL BEARER OF THE iKOOLAID!

COME ONE COME ALL! DRINK WITH THE APPLE iCULT!

Actually I dont own any Apple products at the moment. I did have the original Iphone, but gave it up and now use the Nexus One.
Apple did what NO ONE else was able to do...to get people to buy a tablet/slate. We can all bitch and moan about it but its going to be a huge success, and because of that success, other manufactures will come forward with similar/better products...that the Ipad opened the door to.
The one thing Apple has over everyone else is the damn App Store...oh sure WE dont care about that but EVERYONE else does. All day long at my job people talk about their APPS...If a client asks about my N1, they want to know about the apps...but they are talking about APPLE apps, they dont even know about Android.
Theres nothing wrong with liking this product. I like the idea that its not a full blown desktop OS. I want FAST..my Asus netbook, to me is slow....and I never use my netbook for content creation..I only carry it for media consumption...So why wouldnt I like the Ipad?
 
I suspect the vast majority of people reading these broad-focused mainstream publications aren't interested in seeing benchmarks; they'd rather hear the overall impressions of the reviewer; so in fact, it would be a disservice to bombard them with detailed performance statistics and architectural analysis.

Regardless, the amount of vitriol these positive impressions has spawned amongst online nerds is pretty comical. What's it to you if someone else really likes something that you don't?

I was going to say that we'll have to agree to disagree, but then I remembered what the typical Apple-zealot's capacity for technical knowledge was like and have to accept that you're probably right. :p
 
OMG! IT'S THE OFFICIAL BEARER OF THE iKOOLAID!

COME ONE COME ALL! DRINK WITH THE APPLE iCULT!

Lol. My favorite quote from that article was:

Your grandma will embrace it. Your aunt will embrace. Your cousins. Your kids. Everyone who doesn't have a fucking clue about computers and don't want to learn and don't care.

I think what disturbs me the most is the amount of people who want to use to use technology but have no interest of even the slightest bit of knowledge about how it works. I understand the "I just want it to do what I want and I don't care how" mentality, because my mother is the same way. But she at least understands how to avoid fake links, fake Windows popups that lead to viruses, etc. A lot of people just don't "have a fucking clue," as the article puts it, and this is why people are foolishly suckered into such scams.

It's also as if people are annoyed when they can't just push one button and have the computer magically know exactly what complex task they want to accomplish. Maybe if they took the time to RTFM they would figure it out, and expand their knowledge at the same time.

To everyone wondering why typical users here find the iPad and Apple users in general so laughably silly; look at where you are. This is the [H], not some bullshit average-user tech forum full of Apple zombies.
 
I was going to say that we'll have to agree to disagree, but then I remembered what the typical Apple-zealot's capacity for technical knowledge was like and have to accept that you're probably right. :p

I don't think this disinterest applies to any particular group of people. Outside of a handful of people at work, I don't know anyone who gives a shit about computer benchmarks or architecture. The performance details that this online community obsesses over are utterly irrelevant to them; what they care about is whether it will work well for them .

I can hardly blame them either; it's pretty boring stuff and ultimately pretty inconsequential.
 
It's also as if people are annoyed when they can't just push one button and have the computer magically know exactly what complex task they want to accomplish. Maybe if they took the time to RTFM they would figure it out, and expand their knowledge at the same time.

Whats wrong with pushing one button and having the computer know what task I want to accomplish?..
 
no it doesnt have a webcam. no clue why thats a dealbreaker for some.
Because a lot of people do videochat? I videochat every day with various people, so I can understand the apprehension in the iPad not having one.

yes, it multitasks, there are apps that will run in the background already ready at launch (like pandora) and more coming with the iphone os 4 update. for the most part, the default view for ipad apps are single app view only. but again, thats going to change with the iphone 4 os update.
Then why do so many reviews have, as a complaint, the fact you *can't* use Pandora and, say, read your email at the same time. Oh, that's right, because 3rd party multitasking isn't supported. Sure, you can have Pandora in the foreground, and still get notifications of, say, emails, etc., because multitasking support is enabled for Apple's written applications. But you can't open Pandora, begin playing music, and then switch to another app. It'll shut down Pandora.

And the 3rd party multitasking support for OS 4.0 is still just a rumor.

umm.. widescreen? if you turn it on its side, its widescreen, im sure you know this so im not sure what you meant by that. clarify?
It's not "widescreen" in the native sense, as no matter how 1024x768 is aligned, it's not a true widescreen setup. The screen basically distorts to fill it.

you will be able to plug in digital cameras with a cheap adapter which im sure we'll find on monoprice for next to nothing within a month.
That's only if Apple authorizes 3rd parties to create adapters for it. Remember, one of the benefits cited by Apple fanatics as for why it's so great (a closed ecosystem), also results in much fewer options and often more-expensive accessories. It also shouldn't be *required* to have to buy an expensive adapter to have simple USB support.

no it doesnt have flash, but its got mp4 support and html 5 support. but lets be honest. 90 percent of the people that use flash these days, use it only to watch youtube and hulu. a pay for hulu app is coming (apparently the whole site will be behind a pay wall soon for the most part). youtube isnt a problem. i think people are making flash a bigger deal than it really is.
Thousands upon thousands of websites use Flash. It's not simply Youtube and Hulu. Hell, during the iPad press conference, Steve Jobs even went to a website that used Flash, and the infamous blue box appeared for where the Flash object would be.

I honestly don't get why people keep saying "Flash is not a big deal". It seems like because Steve Jobs said so, everyone thinks it's true. Unfortunately, Flash is still very much a big deal.

anyway, just my opinion. theres so many great applications for the iphone and ipad. i cant wait to get mine. i say this, as a droid owner. i love my phone but googles app store doesnt hold a candle to all the fantastic things that are available for the iphone/ipad.
And how much head time did Apple's App Store have over Android's Marketplace. Android will catch up with time.
 
I didn't see any factual inaccuracies in the review round-up. Can you point out where they "have no idea what the fuck they're talking about"? It seems people here are just angry that other people like the iPad.

Not to bring this back up in a negative way, but I did find (at least) one factual inaccuracy in the review matrix. The one guy who says it "outputs 1024x768 HD to a video screen". I think someone already mentioned this, but since when is 1024x768 "HD"? I'd say that's an instance of "not knowing what the fuck they're talking about". :p
 
No Flash
No USB
No HDMI/VGA/DisplayPort/DVI
No Firewire
No widescreen
No multitasking
No expandable memory
No webcam
Applications must be approved by Apple before you can use them

But somehow it's the future of computing. Suck my dick Apple.
 
Also I stopped going to Gizmodo after their staff used that TV-B-Gone on some poor guy trying to do a presentation at CES and shutting down every booth's TVs. As I recall some of their staff got banned from CES. Their site is literally almost nothing but Apple spam articles. I just went to the front page of their site and counted 28 Apple articles, 5 of which are at the very top of the page. Just fucking ignore Gizmodo, they don't deserve any hits on their site.
 
i see not many people watched andy's video review. thats too bad, he actually had a few concerns, with over 20 minutes of ipad on screen content in that review.

to the guy that said you wont be able to buy an adapter for cameras unless its 3rd party, and then its only a maybe. might want to look at this... http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

comes out late april and is both a direct to camera via usb, or straight from sd connector.

as far as calling me a nazi for understanding what apple is trying to do with the device. im sure the remaining holocaust survivors out there.... bah never mind.
 
i see not many people watched andy's video review. thats too bad, he actually had a few concerns, with over 20 minutes of ipad on screen content in that review.

to the guy that said you wont be able to buy an adapter for cameras unless its 3rd party, and then its only a maybe. might want to look at this... http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

comes out late april and is both a direct to camera via usb, or straight from sd connector.

as far as calling me a nazi for understanding what apple is trying to do with the device. im sure the remaining holocaust survivors out there.... bah never mind.

SixtyWattMan said:
No Flash
No USB
No HDMI/VGA/DisplayPort/DVI
No Firewire
No widescreen
No multitasking
No expandable memory
No webcam
Applications must be approved by Apple before you can use them

How is this device possible? (and at $30 at that)
 
And some other Apple loving idiot over at computer world said it's likely going to put MS out of business and its a replacement for gaming systems.

WTF you've got to be kidding me. There are some ok games for the iPhone, but nothing that doesn't get too boring after more than a little bit or just more puzzle type games. Not many games actually play well with touch controls.

And put MS out of business? I haven't heard anything nearly that funny, but then again I skipped the gizmodo article. Wouldn't want to give those idiots any more page hits.
 
Is it wrong that they think 1024x768 through a vga connector can be called HD video? This coming from Tim Gideon of PC Mag.
 
i have to admit this thing is a lot like a giant ipod touch. i mean it'll sell because of the apple name but to each their own
 
i have to admit this thing is a lot like a giant ipod touch. i mean it'll sell because of the apple name but to each their own

Yeah, I had a 21" TV once. I have a 55" now. Two TVs, same content, totally different experience.

Screen size, it matters.
 
This is intresting: http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1371&news=Tablet+PC+Shipments+Sales+2010+Gartner

Can't remember where I read it but I saw a number that said that they were expecting 4 million iPads to ship this year. So that leaves 6.5 tablets that Gartner expects to ship that WON'T BE IPADS!

The bulk of the rest will no doubt be Windows 7 desktop devices, leaving Andriod and the rest. But I do see the iPad and Windows 7 desktop as dominating this market. And then Courier.

This is just getting started folks and I just hope that we see the bulk of the good iPad apps on Windows and other platforms. I would think that if the bulik on the tablet market isn't iPads that this will be the case.
 
I dont see the iPad as worthless.

Its a fantastic ebook reader by almost all accounts, it definitely is the most open when you look at all the formats it supports / third party extensions (kindle has a full on app for it)

Its app store will, eventually, produce VERY nice applications that DO do many nice things for the specific device. The Marvell comic app / Periodic Element apps already show this to fantastic extent.

It DOES stream video on a relatively large, extremely portable screen that gets fantastic battery life and is capable of being carried around everywhere you go.

It 100% provides a fantastic canvas experience for displaying content to others that will make a great impression.

Now, it absolutely sucks for DOING work, but its friggen amazing for VIEWING work. Its pretty much the mega super awesome viewing device. If all you want to do is CONSUME info, its amazing, especially for $500.

Its not a computer, and cannot begin to rival a computer in terms of actually creating things. For viewing things though....id take one. I wont be buying one, because next year there will undoubtedly be a faster version with a camera...but yeah, id probably buy that one in a heartbeat.
 
Now, it absolutely sucks for DOING work, but its friggen amazing for VIEWING work. Its pretty much the mega super awesome viewing device. If all you want to do is CONSUME info, its amazing, especially for $500.

Its not a computer, and cannot begin to rival a computer in terms of actually creating things. For viewing things though....id take one. I wont be buying one, because next year there will undoubtedly be a faster version with a camera...but yeah, id probably buy that one in a heartbeat.

Actually it ain't all that great of a media consumer. Sure its slick but I can actually watch BD movies on my tablet. Now I have to do it with an external drive if I use the disk, but that can be ripped and put on an the hard drive. And I can hook it up to an HD TV and watch if in full 1080P.

Plus all the eReaders are out for the PC, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, etc. And of course I can download torrents directly to the device. Plus full web, Flash games (TONS work great with touch).

But to fair to you are at admiting a full function computer is more powerful and the media play back prowess of a Tablet PC does come the the fact that it is a full function computer.

One thing I see a lot of iPad folks bemoan is the lack of a camera. I don't get it. Got a front facing camera on my tm2 and while its neat in laptop mode, using is slate mode isn't all that great. It's just not natural to keep it in position. It's like holding a mirror and I just don't get the appeal of that all. It's MUCH more useful in laptop mode though I guess I could see using to conect to people in a pinch.
 
I dont see the iPad as worthless.

Its a fantastic ebook reader by almost all accounts, it definitely is the most open when you look at all the formats it supports / third party extensions (kindle has a full on app for it)

Its app store will, eventually, produce VERY nice applications that DO do many nice things for the specific device. The Marvell comic app / Periodic Element apps already show this to fantastic extent.

It DOES stream video on a relatively large, extremely portable screen that gets fantastic battery life and is capable of being carried around everywhere you go.

It 100% provides a fantastic canvas experience for displaying content to others that will make a great impression.

Now, it absolutely sucks for DOING work, but its friggen amazing for VIEWING work. Its pretty much the mega super awesome viewing device. If all you want to do is CONSUME info, its amazing, especially for $500.

Its not a computer, and cannot begin to rival a computer in terms of actually creating things. For viewing things though....id take one. I wont be buying one, because next year there will undoubtedly be a faster version with a camera...but yeah, id probably buy that one in a heartbeat.

Let me summarize your post.

Mega, super, awesome, amazing, fantastic, fantastic, fantastic, fantastic.

I understand what you were trying to say, but you forgot to mention 'magical'.
 
To everyone wondering why typical users here find the iPad and Apple users in general so laughably silly; look at where you are. This is the [H], not some bullshit average-user tech forum full of Apple zombies.

Sorry, but this was great! :D:D:D

As for this whole iPad ordeal, I've tried to stay out of it and stay away from debates becuase the majority of them are downright silly but, someone above said something to the effect of "so what if other people like it, what's it to you?"

Pair that sentiment with the views expressed in that "ipad is the future of computing" article and it leads to a pretty bleak future for a power user.

The sentiment I feel towards the iPad's influence on computing is very similar to the influence that the Halo and Madden franchises have influenced what is commonly known as "gaming" these days. Does that make sense to anyone else?
 
The majority of people don't care about open platforms or freedom to choose. They don't want to be frustrated with 'complicated' things like PCs or be overwhelmed with tons of choices. They want a walled garden approach where someone higher up makes most of the complicated and/or 'scary' decisions for them. Hell, many of the people that I work with are downright intimidated with their PCs and end up calling me up because they're afraid to make changes. They'd rather have someone (or something) else do it for them.

Power users may bemoan the lack of features and choices when it comes to the iPad or any Apple device, but people want that. Even if the iPad turns out to be a fad, it will at least symbolize what's in store for the future. To me, that's far more important that the device itself (which I care little about personally).
 
Actually it ain't all that great of a media consumer. Sure its slick but I can actually watch BD movies on my tablet. Now I have to do it with an external drive if I use the disk, but that can be ripped and put on an the hard drive. And I can hook it up to an HD TV and watch if in full 1080P.

I suspect the content delivery method for the iPad will be through the itunes store, arguably, far more convenient than ripping a blue ray disc.
 
I actually read what people on Mac forums are saying about iPad, and even amongst them, there's alot of people that would rather spend the money on a Macbook instead, since the iPad is restricted in terms of content creation, hardware, computing power and adaptability.

Let's face it. People won't really be able to live off of the 16GB $499 iPads. The ones that will be used would be 32/64GB variants with 3G ability, which have to be coupled with accessories. By the time you're done, the aforementioned $1200 bill would've put you close to the entry 128gb macbook Air, or any macbook for that matter.
 
Cheif editor of Engadget did basically a huge iPad advertisement on Jimmy Fallon. Their site is unbiased. :rolleyes:
 
Having built my own boxes for several years, I snagged my first Mac about 2 years ago and I've been pretty happy with it (note: I didn't say "mesmerized").

Coming from a predominately PC background, with a recent dash of OS X in the past 2 years, I'd note that, from what I've seen, it is much more stable than Windows has been (typically - it's got to be much easier to design an o/s for a limited amount of hardware). Now, anyone that knows their way around a PC won't see the BSoD on a regular basis and knows how to keep their machines clean and running properly.

This does not go for the rest of the world.

The iPad (not having had my hands on one like most people in this thread), is a niche product - a created niche by Apple. It will not fit the typical board user here but it will fit into the lives of various non-technical and technical people alike. Oh, and the fanboys - certainly (my boss has got two coming up for the US next week or so).

This is a "wait and see" kind of product. What will people do with it? How will people integrate it into their daily lives? What would you do with one if you had it in your greasy little hands?

Me? I'll wait until the 2nd generation and see what they tag onto it for features.

I'm intrigued to see what happens in the next few months as people truly learn what this product can or cannot do.
 
I think the major issues we have here is that we, being [H], are generally needing machines that can handle content creation, whether it'd be for coding, office productivity, artistic merits, or even modding games for that matter! This is not something that the closed ecosystem of Apple caters to all that well within the app store.

To be honest, there are things about the iPad that are exciting. the fact that it's using ips capacitive screen, the long hours that it can run on a charge, the weight and thermal dissipation all makes it a well oiled machine. I think all of us at H look at it and want to see it being made or modded into way more than what it is. If Apple does not have that draconian lockdown on everything regarding iPad, we might very well give it much harder look.

Someone on [H] might look at iPad and think that:

-IPS screen would've been awesome if it supports wacom stylus and have full pressure sensitivity.
-socket CPU, MXM factor VGA and SODIMM slots being fully upgradeable would be great.
-Hot swappable battery that we can replace ourselves would make it last even longer
-Having more connectors built-in would reduce accessories needed and give us more freedom
-Ability to replace HDD by using SATA interface would mean we can make a 1TB SSD speed demon if we really wanted to, and make it run whatever OS we wanted it on!

Anyways, I agree with wrathh with how that we should look and see how people adopt to it, as this is clearly a device for everyone else. Who knows, maybe we will fall in love with a competing product one of these days...
 
Back
Top