iPad (3), MBA, or None?

FrostBite

[H]ard|Gawd
My wife and I have iPhone's, 4 and 4S respectively, we've been upgrading since the 3G/3GS times, we plan to upgrade to infinity, and I've had an iPad 2 for a year since I got it at launch. While I originally envisioned the iPad to be a great gadget to play with, I've really been reaching for my iPhone almost 90%+ of the time. The only thing I really like, and I mean absolutely love, is Air Video which is able to transcode on the fly all my media and TV recordings. I also have two computers, one for gaming, the other a NAS/HTPC combo using Windows 7 MC.

I'm selling the iPad 2 because I am getting a very good price for it, and I am $100 away from purchasing the new iPad with retina. I am now asking myself though, why buy another iPad? AirVideo is great, fantastic compared to watching it on my iPhone 3.5 inch screen, but is $500 worth it for this program? It than came to me, can I justify spending double for a MBA? I can afford it, but I'm not overflowing with money; I'm also very concience of money (I'm an accountant), and won't spend it unless I feel I will get a lot of use out of it which makes the iPad 2 purchase sting me somewhat. Which is why I am asking the people on these forums for their thoughts on this - is having an iPad worth it in my situation? Would a MBA, which would replace the desktop duties for my PC and make it for gaming only, be worth it for, what I am assuming, more versitility? For the little that I use, should I foresake them both and live with the iPhone only?

I ended up with the iPad 3 instead of a MBA, though I have a Dell 13" laptop (E4310 I believe) from work but hate carrying it around. I use my iPad for everything I need, and even for work now. It is one of those choices where are you willing to sacrifice some laptop functions for the mobility of the iPad, and will you actually use it.

The hardest thing to do for someone is tell their life situation from two paragraphs of explanation. From our limited knowledge of you based off of what you said:

Keep everything you have and don't buy anything new. That way you don't gain or lose anything.

A better explanation of our lives when it comes down to technology is twofold, computers and iPhones. I use my computer for games, and if it's not being used as a game, it's in sleep mode. My wife uses the NAS/HTPC to watch her TV recordings. For the iPhones, I primarily use it to read news (AP Mobile), and check emails while my wife uses it for emails and a few games.

The iPad 2 comes into play when I want to have a cigar on the patio, and watch a TV show via Air Video. My wife may want to watch something in the kitchen, or lay down and watch a video/youtube. I am definately selling the iPad so I will be without it, and have the cash instead. From there though, I can't seem to make up my mind on pocketing the cash, spending the cash plus a little more for a newer iPad, or spending double for a MacBook Air. I guess my question, after writing the above, is for people that have both an iPad and MBA, and which they use more, why, and if they had to choose one or the other, which one would they want?

My wife has an iMac, iPhone 4, and an iPad and guess what she uses the most? iPhone.
The iPad gets used VERY sparingly and the iMac gets used when serious work needs to get done. That leaves the iPad out the equation.
For most people, and you sound like most people, tablets are very much a luxury item that could be done without.
And an Air sounds like a machine that would suit your needs very well.
So I guess my vote is either keep the cash or buy an Air.

Dude....

You hardly used your ipad 2. You're having second thoughts on an iPad 3.

Skip it. You don't need to ask here. If you change your mind you can buy one anytime.

Last edited:
Dude....

You hardly used your ipad 2. Your having second thoughts on an iPad 3.

Skip it. You don't need to ask here. If you change your mind you can buy one anytime.

I agree with this, from your second post it sounds like the iPad is the last piece of tech you use on the rare occasion. I would pocket the cash and go without an iPad for awhile, I sold mine gen 1 a few weeks before I got the 3 and honestly missed it everyday. I bet if you sell it, after a week you will forget you even had it.

Dude....

You hardly used your ipad 2. You're having second thoughts on an iPad 3.

You know what, I didn't even think about that, and I can buy another one anytime I want it; if I miss it, I'll go out and buy a new one. In the mean time, I'll sit on the cash, and see what my needs are when Ivy Bridge comes out and/or ultrabooks come into play. Thanks for the help ya'll.

I've got a MBA that I use mostly in bed which is one reason I considered the iPad since it would be more comfortable to use but I couldn't justify having both, wouldn't get as much monies back as I would want for MBA, and I'm still trying to see if I can get by on just a tablet alone.

If you needed a MBA you'd know it imo... It's a far more versatile machine and frankly I think it justifies it's price better than an iPad, but if you don't need it for work or any serious amount of writing then it's a waste over a tablet, which itself is generally just a luxury item anyway (that 3rd/4th device you reach for because the form factor is more comfortable/relaxed at times).

I've got a desktop because I game and enjoy tinkering with it. I own a netbook because at times I need a serviceable machine for work/school, eventually I'd like to replace it with a 13" ultraportable. I own a tablet because I got it for $300 last summer during Office Depot's $100 off promo... Otherwise I'd probably be waiting for lower prices still, even tho I've gotten a ton of use out of it.

My tablet basically supplanted my netbook and phone for leisure around the house (read: couch) and when traveling, but if I didn't have it I'd manage just fine between phone/netbook. That's ultimately what it comes down to imo, very few people truly need a tablet but a ton need a smartphone and/or laptop for various reasons.

Why do people think they know what others need based on what they think they need? There are people who use a tablet exclusively and find it suits their needs perfectly, and better than most laptops. Netbooks were a total disaster, IMO.

IMO, a phone is only really useful when I have no other option. But any time I do have an option, the phone stays put. I like having a phone because it fits in my pocket, but again, I won't go web surfing on a phone if I can avoid it. Since owning a tablet, I find I use my laptop less and my phone less. I use my desktop about the same as before. Maybe if I were the type who spent all day in mind-numbing conversation about nothing (actually, many times having a phone to yak on is worse than nothing, because the conversations are destructive and overly negative), I'd think differently about the phone. I'm sure there are people who do productive work using a phone, though, so I'm excepting them. There are way more people who really should not be allowed to own a phone, if you ask me (and, of course, no one is doing so).

And speaking of ultrabooks...heck, if you're going to own a laptop, it might as well be an ultrabook, assuming you aren't giving up too much in terms of horse power. Nothing beats light weight for a portable device. But tablets are eating into this market.

Ever since tablets came out I couldn't envision a use for them, and no amount of Apple shoving tablets down everyone's throat will change that. Sure, there are people who find them useful but it's a small minority and almost everyone I know who has bought an iPad ended up selling it on eBay a year later advertised as "mint condition, hardly used".

If I were you I would wait either for the next iPhone (hopefully with a larger screen) or an Ivy Bridge ultrabook/MBA or MBP refresh. It doesn't sound like you're desperately in need of another computing device anyway.

I went through the same dilemma last year when the new MBAs were rel'd. I ended up getting the MBA with the intent of selling my 2009 MBP. So fast forward 8 months later and I've now got a new iPad and sold the MBP & MBA. I'm picking up a mac mini but with just the iPad I have no complaints.:)

Back