IP35 Pro RAID 1 Setup

oozish

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, The manual for the ip35PRO doesn't even mention RAID; so I'm asking here. I'll have a 75 gig Raptor as my main drive, 2 500 gig WD 16mb cache drives in RAID 1 and 1 320 gig (old) drive for storage.

I plan to: 1. Flash Bios 2. Enable Raid in bios 3. Setup Raid Config (control-I) and build array for the 2 large drives; 4. Exit Raid bios and then install VISTA; 5. Install F6 drivers (these I just copied from the CD from abit; 6. Format C: (raptor) then install VISTA

Is this the procedure? Am I missing anything? Will I be able to setup RAID this way? I didn't 'make' a F6 floppy, I just copied the drivers from the abit CD to a floppy, is this ok?

Thanks,

no need for f6 floppy, since you're installing vista on the raptor you don't need to access your raid drives during install. Best procedure (least windows/drive confusion) would be to

have only the raptor installed in the computer
update bios
install vista
enable raid in bios and setup the 2 500s in raid 1
add the 320 drive

no need for f6 floppy, since you're installing vista on the raptor you don't need to access your raid drives during install. Best procedure (least windows/drive confusion) would be to

have only the raptor installed in the computer
update bios
install vista
enable raid in bios and setup the 2 500s in raid 1
add the 320 drive

Thanks Axan, however, I would normally want my raptor to function in AHCI anyway, wouldn't installing raid with the 2 drives plus the main (raptor) drive be the best Idea since I want AHCI for all drives except the RAID 1? Or will my drive turn on (AHCI) after I do the procedure you outlined? Otherwise I'll be in IDE mode for the raptor wouldn't I?

And further, wouldn't I want to F6 during install to provide the raid drivers for the OS? I've got the F6 drivers needed for raid and obviously I need to install those prior to the OS; When do I provide the RAID (F6) drivers for the RAID 1?

sorry I"m so confused...Advise...

the f6 drives are just need if you planing on installing the os on the raid partition, in your case you will install chipset and raid drivers after vista is installed. Kinda like adding drivers for video card or printer.
Not sure about the ahci because i never used it but im pretty sure you can set the mode to ahci for the raptor before or after you install vista.

the f6 drives are just need if you planing on installing the os on the raid partition, in your case you will install chipset and raid drivers after vista is installed. Kinda like adding drivers for video card or printer.
Not sure about the ahci because i never used it but im pretty sure you can set the mode to ahci for the raptor before or after you install vista.

Thanks I'll give it a try your way. I'm guessing this might be possible to set up with all the drives attached to begin with and just select the drives I want for RAID?

I'm not sure if I can select 'ahci' mode for 1 drive and RAID for the others...I'll just have to mess around I suppose. thanks for your help though! :)

I'm not sure if I can select 'ahci' mode for 1 drive and RAID for the others...
I believe when you select AHCI, it's enabled for all drives....RAID or not. I don't think it will matter.

Back