iOS5 on iPhone3GS?

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Any performance improvements to be had with iOS5? I am particularly interested in browsing speed.

Don't do it. It's an evil plot to make you want to buy a new phone once your current phone slows down due to the new enhancements. I currently own a Iphone 3g and wish I never updated the damn thing. It's a lagging piece of crap. My wife's Iphone 3g is alot faster than mine only becuase she never updated to 4.0 and above. Even the Iphone 4 will not be able to utilize all the new goodies that the latest Iphone 4s has to offer.

Don't do it. It's an evil plot to make you want to buy a new phone once your current phone slows down due to the new enhancements. I currently own a Iphone 3g and wish I never updated the damn thing. It's a lagging piece of crap. My wife's Iphone 3g is alot faster than mine only becuase she never updated to 4.0 and above. Even the Iphone 4 will not be able to utilize all the new goodies that the latest Iphone 4s has to offer.

This, this, this.

Yeah, I also had an 3G that I "updated". If I hadn't sold it to a friend I swear I would have shot that thing.

Fortunately, iOS5 on a 3GS doesn't suffer performance wise. My girlfriend was running iOS5 for almost 2 months and never complained about it being sluggish. If it was sluggish, I would have gotten pummeled.

On my iP4 I haven't seen any speed decrease.

I'm not sure if you can do it with a 3gs, but you can downgrade a 3g back to 3.1.3 if any of you are worried and try it and find it sluggish.

5.0 actually seems snappier to me on the 3GS then the 4.x software was.

Bricked is always a possibility when doing a OS flash no matter what it is, and I suspect that the missing apps is people not realizing that by default the OS will put newsstand and videos into the second window by themselves, your original second window is now the third. I thought most of my apps were gone until I realized that. Just moved those two apps wherever you want them and it's fixed.

The 3G was the same hardware as the original iPhone except for the 3G antenna and an improved battery. It is a garbage SoC so the performance decrease was to be expected. The iPhone 4 is definitely faster with iOS 5, and I'm reading that the 3GS has also gotten a good improvement in browser speed and overall performance.

Seems a little snappier on iOS5 than 4.3.5 on my 3GS. All the new improvements to iOS5 revives the 3GS a bit. I'm sticking with 3.1.2 on my wife's older 3G iPhone however. That said, 2 new 4S' arriving tomorrow! :D

I'm not sure if you can do it with a 3gs, but you can downgrade a 3g back to 3.1.3 if any of you are worried and try it and find it sluggish.

You can, as far as I know, but the time spent on rolling back the phone could be better spent drinking. An iphone 3G is well and truly fucked the moment OS4 is installed, rolling it back will only prolong your suffering.

how are people complaining about the 3g... shit.. this is not what the thread is about..

the 3gs seems to as quick with the new iOS5 upgrade... anandtech had benchies that actually seen improvments

I want to update to iOS5 but waiting because I depend on ultrasn0w to unlock my phone.

You can, as far as I know, but the time spent on rolling back the phone could be better spent drinking. An iphone 3G is well and truly fucked the moment OS4 is installed, rolling it back will only prolong your suffering.

LOL x100

5.0 actually seems snappier to me on the 3GS then the 4.x software was.

Seems a little snappier on iOS5 than 4.3.5 on my 3GS. All the new improvements to iOS5 revives the 3GS a bit.

the 3gs seems to as quick with the new iOS5 upgrade... anandtech had benchies that actually seen improvments

I agree with all of the above.

iOS 5 is definately an improvement.... 4.3.2 was almost unusable on my 3GS due to poor memory management and pruning. If I closed apps constantly, it wasn't too bad, but otherwise it was almost unusable. But so far with iOS 5, no slow performance issues even though I've got a ton of apps on the multitasking bar.

The most frustrating thing is that Apple seems to be selective on certain new features .... such as no location based reminders on the 3GS.

how has iOS5 been on the touches?
i have the stupid issue where the battery drains overnight if i leave Wifi on.

If you are still using a 3G (like me for another week or two) you should downgrade it to 3.1.3. 4.x is no bueno on original iPhone or 3G hardware.

The sad thing about Android is that you have to keep updating cause the newer version works better than the older. 2.3 run way better on my HTC Hero than 1.6. I guess Android was kind of crappy back in the old days. When the new version of Android requires more power than the old one, that'll be the day where I remove the "beta" tag from Android.

It's probably worth preserving your old baseband for resale value :) Use redsn0w to cook a custom .ipsw firmware w/ your original baseband, then just shift+click restore to that new .ipsw. You don't have to have to bother rooting your phone afterwards, but you will retain your old Gevey unlockable baseband, making your phone much more valuable when you decide to sell it.

With that said, iOS 5 is running perfectly on my friends 3GS phones. Very snappy.

I wish an untethered ios5 jailbreak would hurry up so I can finally upgrade from 4.2.6!

how are people complaining about the 3g... shit.. this is not what the thread is about..

I was hoping to upgrade, but may wait a bit since I have a 6.15 baseband for a hopeful downgrade to fix gps. Do you by any chance have a link to anandtech story?

I did make the switch and I see no reason not to do it. It is faster than whatever version of OS 4 I had on there. Better functionality. Faster better browser.

how has iOS5 been on the touches?
i have the stupid issue where the battery drains overnight if i leave Wifi on.

I updated an iTouch (4th gen? I don't know, came out with the iPhone 4...) to iOS 5 and I have to say time is better spent touching yourself than touching the iTouch after the update. It feels very sluggish, battery use is really bad, too.

I don't know, I just don't like it. Thank god it ain't my iTouch.

I have occasional hesitations after a couple of days, but I think that's tied to icloud which I just disabled but I'll have to wait a while to see if it comes back. Otherwise, it's not bad.

I updated an iTouch (4th gen? I don't know, came out with the iPhone 4...) to iOS 5 and I have to say time is better spent touching yourself than touching the iTouch after the update. It feels very sluggish, battery use is really bad, too.

I don't know, I just don't like it. Thank god it ain't my iTouch.

It's rather fast on my (really) old 3GS... it shouldn't be slower on the A4 based iPod Touch 4! Unless if the UI is really that much more taxing at Retina resolutions? :p

I don't know. There must literally be millions of people running iOS 5 on a 4th gen device, so the high-res display can't be causing all this. Before the update everything was smooth and stable - and now I feel like Apple kind of lost the magic.

What always made me angry at other manufacturers was that even simple actions such as swiping through home screens wasn't as smooth as on Apple's devices. To my surprise, the update made the iTouch intermittently lag like a Motoblur phone (some people might know what I mean). I have never seen anything like this on iOS.

Typing is even worse. I think they screwed up something with that auto correction feature, because that is causing trouble for real. When you type a single character, the iTouch is unresponsive for a very short timespan, apparently processing. You can use it, but it is really annoying. You can't type fast.

Maybe there's even more. But I am too tired to play around with it :D

Never had a tethered jailbroken device, can you explain what it is exactly?

Same thing has as an untethered except you need to rejailbreak it each time you restart your phone, hence the term "tethered".

If you 3gs is the old bootrom, it will be untehthered. That's what mine is and that's what is say on sn0wbreeze.

I'm on a vzw i4 runnin 4.2.6. AFAIK, there is no untethered jb for the 4 yet.

hmm all these negative comments have me interested. I'm going to jailbreak my touch and see how it runs

Back