iOS 8 released

Why the hell does it need 5.8GB of free storage?

I can't give up my tweaks just yet :(

now it's the waiting game...

Who else is stuck on Preparing Update?

Why the hell does it need 5.8GB of free storage?

likely due to temp files and stuff during the installation plus creating a new partition for the 'new' install. It wont use that much once installed.

Just do a backup with iTunes, then do a DFU restore to iOS8, and restore with your backup.

I can't give up my tweaks just yet

now it's the waiting game...

I hear ya, but in my experience with iOS8, it's worth losing a jailbreak for IMO. So many great enhancements over iOS7

I've been downloading and installing for an hour on my Mini Retina and about 45 min on my Air. (one personal, one work device)

So many great enhancements over iOS7
As someone who has not followed the iOS8 launch, what am I looking forward to? I downloaded and installed in about an hour, but I Can't tell any difference.:confused:

As someone who has not followed the iOS8 launch, what am I looking forward to? I downloaded and installed in about an hour, but I Can't tell any difference.:confused:

The Podcasts app is completely broken for me. Umm... healthcare stuff? Ability to run Swift code?

The Podcasts app is completely broken for me. Umm... healthcare stuff? Ability to run Swift code?

Hehe, I don't do podcasts, and the healthkit app is currently broken according to an article I just read.

what's swift code?

I don't know if I can live without my fake GPS app...I mean literally. I could starve without my Carl's Jr. burgers :D

1.9 GB on my 5S. don't know if it's so large due to having iOS 8 beta on the phone.

So did you upgrade from the Beta to the GM?

Apple advised users/developers that upgraded to the GM from a beta to 'erase all content and settings' under the settings app. Apparently there was a lot of junk/log files/etc used in the betas that's not required with the GM

tried out swift-key, but overall, not terribly impressed. I never understood the appeal on Android either though... perhaps it's one of those things that you have to stick with to get the hang of it.

I am hoping that with the new keyboards API, you can essentially just replace the skin on the stock Apple keyboard with a dark one.

tried out swift-key, but overall, not terribly impressed. I never understood the appeal on Android either though... perhaps it's one of those things that you have to stick with to get the hang of it.

I am hoping that with the new keyboards API, you can essentially just replace the skin on the stock Apple keyboard with a dark one.
I haven't tried swift-key but swype does take some getting used to. then you'll notice how much faster you can "type" especially while...um...being preoccupied (not driving :D).

But in any case, the keyboards have a different prediction pattern so all the previous implementations of swype-like keyboards for iOS (via jailbreak) were cludgy. If that isn't addressed through this new API they'll be lacking on iOS compared to android.

So did you upgrade from the Beta to the GM?

Apple advised users/developers that upgraded to the GM from a beta to 'erase all content and settings' under the settings app. Apparently there was a lot of junk/log files/etc used in the betas that's not required with the GM

It's not done downloading, I'll see how it goes as is.
The download itself in 1.9GB not the installed size.

It's not done downloading, I'll see how it goes as is.
The download itself in 1.9GB not the installed size.

oh OK, I gotcha. But yeah, if you're currently running the beta, make sure you do a clean restore or just 'erase all content and settings' once you get it up an running.

if not, then just ignore lol

oh OK, I gotcha. But yeah, if you're currently running the beta, make sure you do a clean restore or just 'erase all content and settings' once you get it up an running.

if not, then just ignore lol

It's taking forever to download now. it started downloading twice and gave me "not enough storage space" errors, I freed up 5.6gb of space and it still had that error.
I rebooted and now I am just waiting.

My iPad was 1.1gb download and it's all done and up and running.

I think my iPad Air needed 5.9gb free. Real PITA since I have a 16gb one, oh well I just deleted a bunch of games I haven't bothered to play yet LOL.

Safari seems to be a bit snappier and I like how the tool bar shrinks so you can see more of the web page. I don't know what to call it but that thing when you swipe up and it brings up the WiFi, Bluetooth, volume, brightness, etc toggles... I don't like how my brightness settings reset and now when I bring up that bar of options it darkens the screen so it makes adjusting the brightness through that thing to be useless. I know it's easy to swipe, change, swipe away again until you find the brightness you like. Just seems odd from a company that tries to make things as easy and user friendly as possible to change something in a way that dumb. *first world problems* hehe

Not sure how much space I needed on my phone, I cleared up 5.xx GB, it downloads and then tells me it can't install due to lack of space, did it 3 times, so I just reset the phone, updated, and restored from an older backup. the backup I did prior to the updates wouldn't restore, said it was corrupt.
All is fine now.

Is anyone else's 4S battery being murdered by this?

Is anyone else's 4S battery being murdered by this?

disable background app update, location services and limit ad tracking.

Also, enable "reduce motion"

my iPhone 5 battery was getting hammered... changing those settings made it awesome.

found everything but reduce motion. Where is that?

I already had limit ad tracking on.

found everything but reduce motion. Where is that?

I already had limit ad tracking on.

under accessibility

edit: make sure to disable 'system services' under location services as well. IIRC, it's under a submenu

I'm about to do another fresh install, so I'll let you know exactly what I turned on/off. My phone went from using 10% in an hour (even in standby) to using maybe 15% in an 8 hour period in standby mode.

ok, so also under spotlight search, turn off anything that you don't use it for. I only use it to find apps quickly, so I have everything turned off except for that.

Turn off handoff and suggested apps (unless you have a mac and plan on using handoff)

Turn on 'reduce transparency' under accessibility

Turn off background app refresh

Turn off location services for things you don't use... also system services. I suggest turning on "status bar icon" under location services as well. I found this to be one of the biggest battery hogs. If you see that icon in the status bar for any length of time, find out what's using it and turn it off.

You should see a healthy bump in battery life... especially if you set your phone up as a 'new phone'. Also, keep wifi and BT off unless you're using it.

Battery murder has seemed to slow doing the above.

I prefer to leave Bluetooth and wifi on for the seamlessness of getting in and out of my car and house, so I'll take a hit in battery life for that, but it seems to be back to how it was before the update. I had all this stuff set to these suggestions before, the update must have reset them to their default...which is dumb and annoying.

But the battery is doing just fine now.

I upgraded 2 iPhone 5 phones and an iPad Air to ios 8 yesterday. I ended up downgrading all back to ios7 today. None of us were impressed and the battery life on our iPhone 5 phones was beyond pathetic

If you want to downgrade hurry up and do it before Apple closes the door

is there any way to hide that pesky "In addition to searching your iPhone..." message in Spotlight?

edit, seems to have vanished. :confused:

Last edited:
I updated my iphone 5s and ipad 3 yesterday afternoon. The updates went smoothly and I had no space issues. Both devices had at least 2GB free prior to the update.

I haven't had the chance to play with the ipad much yet but I did like that the browser bars minimized when scrolling down. That was a smart change. I'm not sure about the bookmarks menu though. It moved to the left side and stays open until you close it. It also shrinks the browser window (laterally) while it is opened.

I like the predictive text added to the keyboard in Message. I spent a half hour catching up with a friend and found that predictive text improved my speed by about 50%. I have always hated the screen keyboard after moving over from my Blackberry phones. I would go so far as emailing responses if I was near a computer. I will definitely check out some aftermarket keyboard replacements but I would still be happy with just the new Apple version.

The bottom menu has a much cleaner look. The health app is a joke for the time being. I'm a bit frustrated that they still won't let me delete the gamecenter. After the update, all of the games on the phone want me to start it up.

The OS just seems a bit more refined. It will take me a couple of weeks to find all the new features and try them out. So far, I'm not having issues with 3rd party apps except for the gamecenter issue.

ok, so also under spotlight search, turn off anything that you don't use it for. I only use it to find apps quickly, so I have everything turned off except for that.

Turn off handoff and suggested apps (unless you have a mac and plan on using handoff)

Turn on 'reduce transparency' under accessibility

Turn off background app refresh

Turn off location services for things you don't use... also system services. I suggest turning on "status bar icon" under location services as well. I found this to be one of the biggest battery hogs. If you see that icon in the status bar for any length of time, find out what's using it and turn it off.

You should see a healthy bump in battery life... especially if you set your phone up as a 'new phone'. Also, keep wifi and BT off unless you're using it.

You'll see a healthy bump in battery life, but the usability and utility of your iPhone goes down too. You're painting with too broad a brush here.

For instance, yes, turning off background app refresh is a good idea… for apps that don't really need it. Do you need Instapaper or Twitter to refresh in the background? Probably not. Facebook certainly needs BAR turned off, as it's a notorious battery hog. But you probably want to have your podcast app able to update in the background, rather than wait for you to launch it and manually download new podcasts.

Reducing transparency won't save you any battery life of significance, either.

iOS 8 "The biggest iOS release ever"

What's the difference lol? Noticed a few slight styling changes and my battery dying within 4 hours now. Not impressed.

Back