iOS 5.1 Update

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
Just updated my iPhone 4S and the first thing I noticed on the lock screen is the camera icon.
It is not a button anymore, you slide up to open the camera from the lock screen and slide down to close it (or press the home button).

Not sure if I like the slide up feature though, I didn't mind double tapping the home button and then pressing the camera button. I guess this way saves wear and tear on the home button.

I love that AT&T iPhone updates immediately display a "4G" icon on a "3G" phone.

I love that AT&T iPhone updates immediately display a "4G" icon on a "3G" phone.

Oh, it does? My sisters boyfriend is going to show me that and start gloating.

I updated my iPad 2 and it looks no different.

Yeah... it's totally false of course but it's hilarious that they put it in there.

No, there was no change to what the AT&T iphone's can throughput... it's not a 4G phone at all.

The iPhone 4S has HSPA+. AT&T is marketing two types of 4G: 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE. They've been lobbying Apple for months to have the iPhone 4S display a 4G graphic when using HSPA+, and I guess they succeeded.

You know, all the changes are described in some detail in the "More info" section of the update.

You can also find that info here.

Personally, I love the new Camera unlock feature! I've been waiting for it ever since the leak.

I've gotten rid the Camera app from my home screen (i.e. put away in a folder with other unused Apple apps that I can't delete) and never use it directly anymore. I always used the double-press home shortcut. So I really appreciate this being a faster (and cooler) way to get to the Camera.

About "Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream", that's nice, but it's not as smart as I'd like it to be.

Consider a typical case where you take multiple similar pictures with the intention of keeping a single "best" one. Say you take 3 pictures, delete 2 and keep one. But all 3 remain in Photo Stream.

I think it would be good if it deleted photos from Photo Stream automatically, as soon as you delete the corresponding original. But I don't know if others would have a problem with this behaviour.

Stuck most of my apps inside Folders. I didn't care for having 5+ screens to scroll through.
iphone-home.jpg

Why does it say 4G on Sprint? I get the AT&T thing, but Sprint?
I put 4G there to see if anyone would notice. :)

There's a trick to hide the newsstand app in a folder. Google it.

thanks, I'll google that since I don't want it there.

EDIT: it doesn't work, maybe they fixed it it in 5.1

Last edited:
Stuck most of my apps inside Folders. I didn't care for having 5+ screens to scroll through.
iphone-home.jpg

I don't get it, did you just figure out how to use folders?

Anyway to those complaining about the new 4G icon, why arent you complaining about the Atrix 4G, or any of the 4G devices on AT&T and T-Mobile that run on HSPA+. Why are you just worked up over the iPhone?

I don't get it, did you just figure out how to use folders?

Anyway to those complaining about the new 4G icon, why arent you complaining about the Atrix 4G, or any of the 4G devices on AT&T and T-Mobile that run on HSPA+. Why are you just worked up over the iPhone?

I actually found out about folders a couple of months ago. My sister showed me since I couldn't find the "New Folder" button. lol

I just updated to 5.1 and it is a welcomed update. When I locked my phone, the sound would appear to lag on 5.0 and that has disappeared. I do think having the camera shortcut always visible on the lock screen will decrease wear on the home button. The most important improvement to me is the ability to delete single photos from Photo Stream. It became a nuisance if I wanted to use HDR and both copies were streamed. I'm glad that was finally resolved.

There's a trick to hide the newsstand app in a folder. Google it.

It seems that 5.1 fixed the trick. I was able to easily put the Newsstand into a folder on my friends iPhone running 5.0.1 but no go on 5.1.

I just updated to 5.1 and it is a welcomed update. When I locked my phone, the sound would appear to lag on 5.0 and that has disappeared. I do think having the camera shortcut always visible on the lock screen will decrease wear on the home button. The most important improvement to me is the ability to delete single photos from Photo Stream. It became a nuisance if I wanted to use HDR and both copies were streamed. I'm glad that was finally resolved.
So now you have to manually delete the same photo twice, right? Once from your Camera Roll and another time from Photo Stream? Doesn't that suck.

So now you have to manually delete the same photo twice, right? Once from your Camera Roll and another time from Photo Stream? Doesn't that suck.

Yes, it's inconvenient, but at least you don't have to turn off the Photo Stream or wait until it is removed automatically anymore. But there is also the setting to not save the original.

I don't understand why they can't make the photo disappear from Photo Stream whenever you purposefully delete the original. Under what circumstance would anyone want to delete originals but keep a copy in Photo Stream?

Note that "import and delete" photos is different from outright deleting them.

Edit: Or an added "Delete photo here & Photo Stream" button.

I don't understand why they can't make the photo disappear from Photo Stream whenever you purposefully delete the original. Under what circumstance would anyone want to delete originals but keep a copy in Photo Stream?

Note that "import and delete" photos is different from outright deleting them.

Edit: Or an added "Delete photo here & Photo Stream" button.

So that you don't have to have every photo ever taken on your personal device.

how crunched for space could someone be on one of these devices? photos are only a few meg. they also need a batch deleting option for these photos, one by one takes forever!

how crunched for space could someone be on one of these devices? photos are only a few meg. they also need a batch deleting option for these photos, one by one takes forever!

Over the years the photos add up and I also have music, videos, apps , and books on my device. If you use your device as a camera only, then you could store thousands of images on your device.

iOS 5.1 finally lets me turn 3G off. Hopefully the data reliability problems I've had ever since upgrading to 4s will go away now.

Thanks Apple!

iOS 5.1 finally lets me turn 3G off. Hopefully the data reliability problems I've had ever since upgrading to 4s will go away now.

Thanks Apple!

It got rid of that option for me :( (was in the later dev betas I had).

Non carrier branded phone on AT&T here.

It depends on the user. Apps, videos, and music can take a lot of room. Some games (like Infinity Blade, Dead Space, GTA III, etc.) can be a couple hundred MB or more. Even Rage HD is almost 2GB by itself. I'm running low on space and had to convert my audio files to 128 kbps ACC to make room.

You can do a batch delete the photos. In Photos, press the "Select Items" button in the top right, select the photos you want deleted, and press delete.

It got rid of that option for me :( (was in the later dev betas I had).

Non carrier branded phone on AT&T here.
I checked on one from someone I know and see it doesn't have disable 3G listed either, only "Cellular Data". This was on a Sprint 4s updated to 5.1.

Last edited:
Why would you want those deleted photos lingering in your Photo Stream then?

So that those photos can be accessed from other devices as well as the original device that took the photo.

I don't think Photo Stream can be used as permanent photo storage. I thought it had a 30 day rolling window, so photos older than 30 days drop out.

Or do you have 30 days to download them from the cloud, after that they stay in Photo Stream library forever?

Was wondering if anyone noticed any "improvement" in battery life after this update? My battery still seems to drain twice as fast as the old iphone 4

I don't think Photo Stream can be used as permanent photo storage. I thought it had a 30 day rolling window, so photos older than 30 days drop out.

Or do you have 30 days to download them from the cloud, after that they stay in Photo Stream library forever?

Photos that I took in October when I got my first iPhone are still in my photo stream.

Back