iOS 17 released today (if you haven’t been getting spammed about it enough on every social media platform)

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
iOS 17 dropped today at 10:00 AM PST.

I updated both of my devices since they are newer in their life cycler and not older. Most importantly my 12.9” iPad Pro 6th Gen (M2, if that makes knowing that easier). iPadOS got a bunch of updates to make the usability better, and I’ve been using this as my primary computing device lately, so I’ve wanted all those improvements. My phone is an iPhone 13 Mini. I didn’t see as big a need to update my phone “immediately”, but did anyway because why not?

I’ve downloaded about 60 square miles around my house on maps. Added widgets that I couldn’t before. Enjoyed the better autocorrect and Siri functionality. No bugs to report so far, but it’s early days. And I figure I can live with the tradeoff of some bugs for the feature improvements this time around. I normally wait at least 3-4 months for a point release. But again, iPadOS had a lot of welcomed changes so, tradeoffs and what-not.

Chime in with your experiences or features you like the most and/or new tips/tricks involving iOS17.

Last edited:
This is mindboggling to me:
In iOS 17, Apple has added the ability to download Maps for use offline

$40 USD Nokia Microsoft phone were able to do it 12 years ago, google map on iPhone for how many years (terrible interface for it but still able) ?, iOS is way too much rich people with giant dataplan oriented imo.

This is mindboggling to me:
In iOS 17, Apple has added the ability to download Maps for use offline

$40 USD Nokia Microsoft phone were able to do it 12 years ago, google map on iPhone for how many years (terrible interface for it but still able) ?, iOS is way too much rich people with giant dataplan oriented imo.
Well, as you note it hasn’t been a limitation on iOS because of Google Maps. Not sure what you mean about Google Maps having a bad interface though. As much as I don’t like to use Google products, their maps app works way better in Japan than Apple Maps does. I used it everyday, multiple times a day for nearly 4 months without any kind of problem (other than you know, big data spying on me).

Getting it on Apple Maps is yes, long overdue. But hey whatever, we have it now, so why complain about the past?

(Also maps really doesn’t take much data at all to stream. Even using data services that charge by the MB, maps doesn’t even make a dent. I would know, I did that for 4 months).

Not sure what you mean about Google Maps having a bad interface though.
the download of map on my iPhone google maps do not let me download a region (say north east nord America), I need to drag square, it does not show me what I have downloaded or not on the map, the square does not match natural delimitation, does not seem to work well and seem to lost them from time to time on updates. So much that I know a lot of people that do not do it and have story about not using their GPS because of not having data reaching them in the mountain or something.

(Also maps really doesn’t take much data at all to stream. Even using data services that charge by the MB, maps doesn’t even make a dent. I would know, I did that for 4 months).
Data service need to exist and it seem non trivial for people without dataplan or roaming :
https://www.canstarblue.com.au/phone/apple-maps-data-usage/

A simple 200 hours of driving/walking around unknown city during a vacation would be over 1 gig

Deadjasper says you can swear now, so thats nice. we(work) just updated all our ipads to 16.6, guess theyre gonna make us update again...

the download of map on my iPhone google maps do not let me download a region (say north east nord America), I need to drag square, it does not show me what I have downloaded or not on the map, the square does not match natural delimitation, does not seem to work well and seem to lost them from time to time on updates. So much that I know a lot of people that do not do it and have story about not using their GPS because of not having data reaching them in the mountain or something.
It doesn’t delineate on the map itself that’s true, but you can see the exact region in terms of what you’ve downloaded.
Data service need to exist and it seem non trivial for people without dataplan or roaming :
https://www.canstarblue.com.au/phone/apple-maps-data-usage/

A simple 200 hours of driving/walking around unknown city during a vacation would be over 1 gig
Sure maybe. But that’s speaking like no one can get what now days is considered a minimal amount of data while traveling. And that would be spread out over a considerable amount of time. 200 hours would be like working a full work week for 5 weeks worth of maps (8 hours a day 5 days a week. And that’s a lot!). And frankly that isn’t most people travel schedule in general. Or even commute day in general. Assuming a 3 hour usage of maps per day, it would take 9.5 weeks to use that amount of data. And that is still a very high amount of maps usage for a normal person.

This isn’t to downplay the importance of what you’re saying. Running maps was critical for me on a daily basis. So quite the opposite. But I’ve been to both Asia and Europe on very limited data services and never had an issue with specifically navigation. And I’ve been doing so repeatedly year after year for at least the last 6 years.

Anyway. I’ll leave it there. Agree to disagree if there is more after this.

Last edited:
It doesn’t delineate on the map itself that’s true, but you can see the exact region in terms of what you’ve downloaded.
I could need to ubinstall google map and reinstall it (because I have the feeling it indeed was able to show me this in the past)

Sure maybe. But that’s speaking like no one can get what now days is considered a minimal amount of data while traveling. And that would be spread out over a considerable amount of time.
Yes every year it past I would imagine it get to be less and less an issue has coverage get better, thus the baffling why now instead than 2008-2012, Nokia Maps/transit app of that era seem like are still better than the modern offering.

But I’ve been to both Asia and Europe on very limited data services and never had an issue with specifically navigation.
Those would probably among the best place to be for data service and price, try rural Canada in mountain heavy region ;) Where I am from there is large no radio signal zone, let alone cell service.

I just upgraded my Apple Watch 4 Cellular to the new Watch OS and it has soooo many new usability improvements.

The App bubble organization is way better. The new swipe up for widgets gives more quickly glanceable info, and using the side button for the control panel feels much more intuitive.

I dislike the new fitness app though because I have to scroll more to get info that I want where before I could see it all just from opening the app. And ditto the weather app. It’s more pretty, but takes longer to see all the info. More tapping.

Last edited:
Back