Introducing HDMI 2.1 Specification

HardOCP News

[H] News
HDMI Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI specification featuring advanced features for the HDMI eco-system. It supports a range of Higher Video Resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, Dynamic HDR, and increased bandwidth with a new 48G cable. Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification. HDMI Specification 2.1 Feature Highlights Include:

• Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.
  • Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts—on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
  • 48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.
  • Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.

Well, I guess I won't be getting a new TV or computer monitor this year, while I wait for the OLEDs to have this specification.

I have no reason too since I bought a Sony Bravia 50 inch back in October of 2013. Thing works great and turns on pretty quick, plays netflix and Xbox One games just fine. OTA HD looks really good on it as well.

Could Game Mode VRR save us all from the bi-partisan Freesync/Gsync wars?!

This and more in the next episode of....

Well, I guess I won't be getting a new TV or computer monitor this year, while I wait for the OLEDs to have this specification.
My over 10 years old 720p 52" Panasonic plasma is still going strong with a beautiful image. For a while, I was thinking of upgrading to 1080p full HD, but as fast as things are improving, I'm glad I didn't bother.

This is why I don't like buying new tech when it comes out. Always wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation for a more mature/reliable product.
Just like you should never buy the 1st year model of a new car design.

Remember the early 4k TV's that only had 1080p inputs :confused:

I guess that's one good thing about the new Intel CPU's & chip sets. Since they are just a small tweak/improvement from last year there shouldn't be any real problems.

HDMI needs an audio-only mode. On my PC I use DisplayPort for my 2K 144Hz monitor and I've recently started using an HDMI splitter to act as a display connected to my Denon AVR-3806 so that I can get multi-channel PCM audio to the receiver. I shouldn't have to do that, HDMI should be capable of sending audio to an AV receiver without the need of the HDCP handshake or maybe they need to modify the handshake. I want to use HDMI for lossless multi-channel audio without a display!

This digital copy protection stuff is busted.

Got a 4K display last month. Shame they can't do a firmware update and support the new spec. Oh well. Stuck at 60Hz for another 3 years I guess. lol

So how does this benefit you with 4k TVs (aside from PC gaming)? And for PC gaming, won't this essentially require you to buy a new video card?

HDMI needs an audio-only mode. On my PC I use DisplayPort for my 2K 144Hz monitor and I've recently started using an HDMI splitter to act as a display connected to my Denon AVR-3806 so that I can get multi-channel PCM audio to the receiver. I shouldn't have to do that, HDMI should be capable of sending audio to an AV receiver without the need of the HDCP handshake or maybe they need to modify the handshake. I want to use HDMI for lossless multi-channel audio without a display!

I've been wanting this for awhile. Even without the phantom PC display, it could be very useful for just your television. One issue I have with the Xbox One and PS4 Plus is that they only have one HDMI out, so I have to either sacrifice audio quality, or lose HDR. With an audio out HDMI, you could just plug devices directly into your TV, and it could pass through the audio, so that you wouldn't need to upgrade your receiver every year too. Sure, you'd have to get a receiver with HDMI 2.x (if it got such a feature), but you wouldn't need to upgrade it when HDMI 2.x + 1 came out.

Reactions: djoye
like this
So how does this benefit you with 4k TVs (aside from PC gaming)? And for PC gaming, won't this essentially require you to buy a new video card?

Release in 2Q 2017 or later, I guess there's another excuse to upgrade... :)

10 bit color support @ 4:4:4 chroma would be nice to have. Not sure about the video card question but you may be right about that. I don't know if the ports on any recent graphics card would support the new spec with a driver update. Guessing we would need to upgrade that piece of hardware too.

This is why I don't like buying new tech when it comes out. Always wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation for a more mature/reliable product.
Just like you should never buy the 1st year model of a new car design.

Remember the early 4k TV's that only had 1080p inputs :confused:

I guess that's one good thing about the new Intel CPU's & chip sets. Since they are just a small tweak/improvement from last year there shouldn't be any real problems.
HDMI 1.4, released in 2009, supported UHD 4K @ 30 Hz and DCI 4K @ 24 Hz.

The 30Hz 4K was designed for movies and not much else. It was a little ahead of it's time, but I'd assume that was the idea. 24 and 30hz are typical movie framerates.

I'm all for this standard as it actually seems like they're addressing some things I've had issues with. It'll probably take a while to rollout and even longer to be fully adopted so I don't know if anyone with current tech will feel left out any time soon. That said, if you were looking to buy new tech this year, I'd personally hold off.

My biggest concern with HDMI (in-general) is handshake issues. It felt like HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, and the new HDCP standards came out too close to one another. No matter what the various components claim, there have been tons of issues with supposedly compliant TV's, AMPs and the newer 4K consoles and movie players. Blank screens, signals cutting out, pass-thrus that bork the signal, etc.
It's like the dawn of HDMI devices all over again, and this is after years of it finally working pretty well.
I don't want there to be an HDMI 2.1a hitting 6 months later that complicates everything and can't pass-thru the current devices.

30Hz? That sounds useless for anything other than spreadsheets and word docs. Crappy tube TVs for 60 years had 60fps.

4K was only about film footage when the standard was done, in 2009 most people still had 720p sets, 1080p's were finally evening-out in price and 4k was a term almost nobody outside of movie-buffs knew about, and only then because it was a resolution being used by movie-studios to transfer their analog films to digital HD (to be published at 1080p on BD).

This new standard will be the first that requires new cabling, however, since the first spec introduction.

Last edited:
I guess Dell is going to support the new standard, since they've announced a 32" 8K monitor (assuming it's not vaporware). http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...32-inch-8k-overall-thinnest-monitors-ces-2017

I suspect that the 2017 models will either be upgraded or come with 2.1 compatibility (even 2016 models may be upgradeable)

Rob Tobias HDMI Licensing Administrator President said:
From CE Pro: "How an individual piece of equipment will meet the 2.1 standard will depend on the manufacturer and the features. Some manufacturers may be able to achieve 2.1 compliance with just a firmware upgrade; others will require new hardware,"

With variable refresh rate I guess we can finally watch the Hobbit the way it was meant to be seen without pulldown. I seem to be upgrading receivers a lot more frequently lately though, maybe it's time to go back to selling separates since the video / media section is evolving way too fast while the audio section is perfectly fine. Building quite a collection of Pioneer Elite receivers in different rooms being underappreciated.

This will bring back stupid people to stores who only have 1080p tvs but they decide to pay like 100 dollars for a higher end cord because they think they will get higher quality, even though the cheap 5 dollar cord works just as good for their setup.

Well I've been converting to display port camp over the last 1-2 years. Mostly happy with it and I can see how so many love it. I don't believe its gotten the full support it deserves and that leads to the simple fact that even though it states impressive video/audio specs I've only really been able to use the Video part of it. I've got a complicated display setup:
1. LG 31" 10bit CInema 4k via DP1.2
2. Asus 27" 1440p 144hz 3d via DP 1.2
3. HiSense 55" 4k HDR via HDMI 2.0
4. Sony 7.1 24bit/192khz receiver via display port1.4>hdmi adapter 1.4 for audio

I had to do the wonky dp>hdmi because my receiver is located too far away for me to use optic cable, this receiver is pre-4k so it doesn't offer 4k pass-thru hence using my GPU's only HDMI for the TV, and I'd need to redo a significant amount of speaker wire to move the receiver. Having said all that the adapter(despite DP specs stating otherwise) is only giving 2 channel 16bit audio. My MOBO has builtin HDMI 1.4 with realtek but I leave it off because it really confuses some games. . .

Side note for those interested in DP1.4 stuff: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp..._g-sync_hdr_monitor_will_release_in_q3_2017/1

For all these reasons I'm pretty happy about the ideaHDMI 2.1 but this leads to current headaches:

As ridiculous as all of the above is, 4k stuff is really getting out of hand now. First there was non-hdr, then HDR10 w/ mention of DolbyHDR. Now HDR2 is coming, DolbyHDR is getting some actual support, and I've seen listing of a third type. Now variable refresh rate(cool but. . .Gsync Freesync Nsync). We've also got all these color scheme combos, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, RGB, 8bit, 10bit, 12bit. Non oled, oled, and about a half dozen different panel offerings. All this and the 4k landscape is changing roughly every 4-6 months or so now. I honestly think this industry needs to take a step back and evaluate a better feature development strategy timeline. It too much, too quick and there's nearly zero uniformity any more.

It takes time for new standards, wishlists and new mfring capabilities to settle.
We are in the middle of some large changes which always start off as a lesser set of abilities.
Ride the storm!

Perhaps be thankful we are getting such nice things very quickly.
A bit of a downer if you want your kit to remain current and near the leading edge for longer.
Such is life when everything is heavily tech oriented.
Alternatively, stay a couple of years behind, have a fatter wallet and less headaches.

There wont be any in that manner.
There arent HDMI 2.0 cables, only bandwith capabilities.
Same will apply.

Thank you Mr. Internet Police. I just know some vendors will try to fool dolts into buying high priced cables now that there is a new spec. I just read the comments.

Thank you Mr. Internet Police. I just know some vendors will try to fool dolts into buying high priced cables now that there is a new spec. I just read the comments.
:p
There will always be scammers and dickheads who fall for it, not really newsworthy.

It takes time for new standards, wishlists and new mfring capabilities to settle.
We are in the middle of some large changes which always start off as a lesser set of abilities.
Ride the storm!

Perhaps be thankful we are getting such nice things very quickly.
A bit of a downer if you want your kit to remain current and near the leading edge for longer.
Such is life when everything is heavily tech oriented.
Alternatively, stay a couple of years behind, have a fatter wallet and less headaches.

I agree with you on all fronts. Thankfully that HiSense is HDR10 and at least gives me an affordable entry in all this and some time to wait it out. At some point I'll probably just re-organize that room to make it all a bit more organized and cable efficient.

Humm, when might we see this new HDMI 2.1 support in motherboards etc?

Sony and Panasonic target 8K TVs for 2020 Olympics

"Japanese tech firms want to bring something particularly special to the Tokyo Olympics: 8K TV"

"TV-makers Panasonic and Sony will be partnering with broadcaster NHK and others to develop broadcast technology capable of handling 8K video."

"reportedly wants to start full-scale broadcasting of 8K TV in 2018."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/26/12656286/8k-tv-broadcasts-2020-olympics-sony-panasonic

"Japanese tech firms want to bring something particularly special to the Tokyo Olympics: 8K TV"

"TV-makers Panasonic and Sony will be partnering with broadcaster NHK and others to develop broadcast technology capable of handling 8K video."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/26/12656286/8k-tv-broadcasts-2020-olympics-sony-panasonic
Damn. I may just go from a 720P tv straight to an 8K tv at this rate.

Damn. I may just go from a 720P tv straight to an 8K tv at this rate.
I suspect it will be several years after that before we have consumer 8K panels. That said, if 8K is coming in the next 10 years, I can imagine U.S. networks jumping straight to 8k. That said, I think 4k is pleny of pixels for 99% of the people in the U.S. At this point, it's the wider gamut and HDR that are the most essential new features.

I suspect it will be several years after that before we have consumer 8K panels. That said, if 8K is coming in the next 10 years, I can imagine U.S. networks jumping straight to 8k. That said, I think 4k is pleny of pixels for 99% of the people in the U.S. At this point, it's the wider gamut and HDR that are the most essential new features.
Good point. I'd rather have better all around image quality than just resolution.

"CES in January 2018 will see the first 8K TVs go on sale around the world. If we’re right, the countdown to 8K TVs for the home has already begun. We must be ready."

Is it possible to buy an 8K TV now?

Yes – Sharp sells its 85-inch LV-85001 for US$130,000/UK £106,960/AUS$176,500, but only in Japan. Dell showed-off its UP3218K, a 31.5-inch 8K monitor, at CES 2017, and announced that it would go on sale in March 2017 for US$4,999/UK£4,100/AUS$6,800.

Do manufacturers have 8K TVs ready?

Absolutely – and they have had for a few years....."

http://www.techradar.com/news/8k-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-futuristic-resolution

No guarantee that a standard will be set by then. FWIW NHK and the BBC did 8K broadcasts back in 2012, but it only was to a couple of public viewing spots. The tech has been there for a while, the issue is just getting it to the point where it's affordable to mass market.

"CES in January 2018 will see the first 8K TVs go on sale around the world. If we’re right, the countdown to 8K TVs for the home has already begun. We must be ready."

Is it possible to buy an 8K TV now?

Yes – Sharp sells its 85-inch LV-85001 for US$130,000/UK £106,960/AUS$176,500, but only in Japan. Dell showed-off its UP3218K, a 31.5-inch 8K monitor, at CES 2017, and announced that it would go on sale in March 2017 for US$4,999/UK£4,100/AUS$6,800.

Do manufacturers have 8K TVs ready?

Absolutely – and they have had for a few years....."

http://www.techradar.com/news/8k-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-futuristic-resolution
Dell's is a monitor, not a TV and none of those are really consumer products. Dell's is definitely for audio (and perhaps video) types and only pros and very well heeled enthusiasts are going to buy that monitor.
I'm sure some billionaire may buy a $130k TV, but very few would consider a TV that costs 2.5x the median household income a consumer item. When they hit 25k (with some sort of content delivery system in place), we're at the very beginning of adoption (see 2011 for Sony's 4k projector that, as I recall, came with some sort of 4k Movie delivery system)

Back