Introducing Backup and Sync for Google Photos and Google Drive

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The new Google service that can back up your entire computer is now live: Backup and Sync, available on both Mac and PC, allows users to continuously back up entire folders just by checking them off. Files will be accessible from any device that has Google Drive installed whether it’s a computer or a smartphone.

It’s a simpler, speedier and more reliable way to protect the files and photos that mean the most to you. This new tool replaces the existing Google Photos desktop uploader and Drive for Mac/PC. Backup and Sync is an app for Mac and PC that backs up files and photos safely in Google Drive and Google Photos, so they're no longer trapped on your computer and other devices. Just choose the folders you want to back up, and we’ll take care of the rest.

Google storage is too expensive for a full backup of any meaningful amount of stuff.

Backblaze FTW.

2.2GB? I do that in a weekend if I have something I go to where I'm only mildly interented.
My photo collection is - hold on - 1.04TB and growing. (there is some video in there)

I use Risilio(sp?) to sync and hope that with the policy change my raw pictures still count as free storage via amazon.

It’s a simpler, speedier and more reliable way to protect the files and photos that mean the most to you.

Oddly it's Google from whom we need protection. No thanks. Not giving my shit to you sounds easier still.

Yet again Linux is ignored, yet they have internal versions... Fuckers, guess I'll just use NextCloud.

Apart from game save files and emails, I have never run into a situation where cloud storage would have allowed me to do something I could not do so otherwise (IE I have never needed a photo off my computer while I am out and about, nor have I ever needed the cloud storage space for backups).

The fappening essentially told me how unsafe cloud services can potentially be, even if it is complete user error (I don't trust myself to take the necessary precautions), thus why I have bought a phone with 256GB internal, making sure that under normal circumstances I would never need to use cloud to store my photos due to lack of space.

In other places, the cost of cloud storage is high enough that it's actually cheaper for me to store the data locally on HDDs and replace them every 3 years than it is to pay for cloud storage, not to mention the fact that it's safer and faster.

Cloud storage definitely has its uses, but my rule of thumb is: cloud is for data you want shared, if you don't want it shared, don't use cloud, full stop. Not even a completely closed cloud system is fool proof.

Backups are not what I'd use cloud for at least.

Yet again Linux is ignored, yet they have internal versions... Fuckers, guess I'll just use NextCloud.
You've got a good point there. This is just like when they introduce a new feature or huge app update and they show / release it first on the iPhone.

Back