intranet losing DNS

xavierq

Gawd
I've got an intranet website set up, and few times a day typing in the domain name just times out, and I have to do ipconfig /registerdns to make it work again.

It's really frustrating, especially for the less tech savvy network users. Has anyone heard of this, or have something I can try to fix it?

I'm using IIS.

Do you perform that command on your desktop, or the server? It almost sounds like your authentication to the DNS server before your DHCP lease expires.

I'm doing it at each client. Right now we have a batch file we have people click. I'm not sure if given enough time it'll come back up on its own or not. I spend more time on it than most, so I'm seeing it happen a couple times a day. Most people call me and I have to remind them about the batch file, so it can't be affecting them too often.

Whats doing the DHCP/DNS on the network?
Id think that doing /registerdns on the clients registers THEM and has nothing to do with the Intranet web site.

SimpleDNS on the server. And yes, the problem is asynchronous. The site is still accessible to other people when someone is having the problem. But it happens to everyone sooner or later, so I can't blame a single client machine either.

Back