DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.204.141
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

well here is your issue.
on your computer, you obviously have a DUN connection setup for your internet access.
This means the current router is setup in bridged mode.

You need to either contact your ISP or find the manual for this modem/router combo, and figure out how to change the settings so it will act as a router and do the authentication for the internet connection.

missing 4th octets aside.

well here is your issue.
on your computer, you obviously have a DUN connection setup for your internet access.
This means the current router is setup in bridged mode.

You need to either contact your ISP or find the manual for this modem/router combo, and figure out how to change the settings so it will act as a router and do the authentication for the internet connection.

missing 4th octets aside.

I don't think that connection is active guys. That IP is Static, so that's why we see something there. I'm guessing it's not active.

amidst all this fiasco , all that I am getting is even more confused...

could some one plz up their " ipconfig/all " results..

that way things will be more clearer.. atleast for me...

I don't think that connection is active guys. That IP is Static, so that's why we see something there. I'm guessing it's not active.

if that PPP adater wasn't active, it wouldn't show up.

just because it doesn't change, doesn't mean it's static. I can unplug my cable modem for a couple days, and when I plug it back in and reboot my router, I get the same IP. But it's not a static IP.

OP, I believe I asked before but you never answered.

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network Connections

do you have a connection called "Broadband C" under the "Broadband" heading?
If so, what is the Status? Does it say connected? If so, what is the "Device Name"? "WAN Miniport (PPPOE)"?

If it's connected, right-click on it and select "Disconnect"

after doing this, can you still access the internet?

FYI, the PPP Adapter as being the culprit was also mentioned by YeOlde, doctah, and ShadowStriker way back when; but it doesn't appear that suggestion ever went anywhere.

amidst all this fiasco , all that I am getting is even more confused...

could some one plz up their " ipconfig/all " results..

that way things will be more clearer.. atleast for me...

your ipconfig is ALMOST correct. The problem is, your ISP requires a DUN connection. Normally, your router takes care of this, and you will ONLY see the Local Area Connection and Wireless network Connection. But because you are still using the DUN connection, it's also showing up.

Which is why it's been stated you need to find the manual for your modem/router, or call up your ISP.

This is what your ipconfig /all SHOULD look like:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ********
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disco
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FB-C2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom Ne
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-19-FC
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Last edited:
if that PPP adater wasn't active, it wouldn't show up.

just because it doesn't change, doesn't mean it's static. I can unplug my cable modem for a couple days, and when I plug it back in and reboot my router, I get the same IP. But it's not a static IP.

It is a static ip though, it says: DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

It is a static ip though, it says: DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

#1 - DHCP doesn't exactly work the same way in a DUN setup. I worked for a DSL ISP for 5 years in all sections of the place. PPPoE will NOT show up as DHCP Enabled under an IPCONFIG. The IP is tied to the username, not the MAC address. Same thing with a dial-up connection.
DHCP request is NOT sent by the "computer," per-se, it's sent along with the authentication process.

#2 - I created a PPPoE connection on my computer. It's not connected. It does not show up in my ipconfig /all

OP, upload a picture of your network connections, similar to this

winxp-network-connections.png

or if you use vista/7
network_connections.png

the information shown in network connections, my not look like the pictures above though, i.e the connections shown

I called up the service provider 2 weeks ago. Gave a written complaint.Called them up 3 more times.
Yet no action taken from their side.
I donot see a point in waiting any longer, or calling them up yet again.

however, I managed to find this router configuration tool for my router.

the following are the screen caps of the editable config modes .
I have provided all the screen caps
P.S all of them ..

the first one is this http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7986/wanh.jpg
titled : "WAN Setup"

hit any of the "EDIT " buttons , this page comes.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/72/edit1a.jpg
titled : "ATM PVC Config"

NOTE : all of the EDIT buttons direct to this same page., only difference being the Port/VPI/VCI values - which can be seen from the WAN Setup page.

click on the "NEXT" button, this page comes
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6929/next1.jpg
titled : "Connection Type"

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9083/next2.jpg
titled : "PPP Username and Password"

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2645/next3.jpg
titled : "Network Address Translation Settings "

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2715/next4.jpg
titled : "WAN Setup - Summary"

this concludes the WAN config settings

Then there is a page "Lan Setup"
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2796/lanf.jpg
PS : There was a talk of DHCP being disabled, it can be enabled here, along with many other settings.

the last configurable page is " DSL Settings"
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/228/dslsettings.jpg

as far as router configuration goes , this as far as it gets ...
if yal can fathom any of the settings and can guide me on the same,

I think this is all the info required .

PS. Plz refer to the page titles, while guiding about the configuration.

thanx

Last edited:
So based on those links that you show of screenies of your ISP supplied "gateway"...it is indeed a combo modem/router, it is capable of performing the PPPoE authentication (thus you DON'T need to do it on your computer)...it is capable of performing like a common home grade router...doing NAT and DHCP...handing out 192.168.1.xxx addresses.

Why don't you turn on DHCP on it?

So based on those links that you show of screenies of your ISP supplied "gateway"...it is indeed a combo modem/router, it is capable of performing the PPPoE authentication (thus you DON'T need to do it on your computer)...it is capable of performing like a common home grade router...doing NAT and DHCP...handing out 192.168.1.xxx addresses.

Why don't you turn on DHCP on it?

I have provided screencaps with current settings, without making any mods myself.
Following up with earlier comments provided, I wanted to present the situation as it is , hence have not made ant mods.

I shall do so only on your directions....

however, I managed to find this router configuration tool for my router.

This is a great start. I think you're close now. That device status page might be usesful as well. It should be the closest thing to an "ipconfig /all" for your router/modem...

I'd start by figuring out where the PPP connection is coming from:

PPP adapter Broadband Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadband C
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.204.XXX.XXX
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.XXX
218.248.255.XXx
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

We need this disabled. Check in your network connections to see if this is something you can disable. Maybe you installed an application for this ISP's service? If so - you might need to disable it...

Next, I'd enable the DHCP server on the LAN Setup page
Start address: 192.168.1.2
End Address: 192.168.1.50
Lease Time (hour): 1

Then reboot the router. Once it comes back up, do an ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew (or reboot the PC).

Once you've done the release/renew (or rebooted), check to see if you're getting a 192.168.1.x address; then see if you can ping 192.168.1.1; then...the big test...see if you can ping google.com (or open the browser to check). Then test the other computer - confirm its getting a proper 192.168.1.x IP.

If you cannot get to the internet from this point, see if you have some sort of application on your PC that was installed for this service. If so, there is likely a username/password. You can enter this in the router as well (the 4th screen cap you posted).

...if you know there is an app installed, you might want to provide some screen caps of it as well. I know its annoying to post a bunch of info and screen caps, but its the only way we won't be working in a blind situation.

You might need to make a few more changes on the PC, but this is a good start as you have the screen caps to get you back to a working internet connection if something goes wrong. That DUN connection confuses me a bit and I think it might cause problems. I haven't seen a DSL connection that connects from the PC (as opposed to router) in quite some time...

Just to note: Your ISP sucks. I'd switch if possible b/c their support is horrid. They wouldn't help you with a device they gave you? That's sad. I'm not one to complain much - but, if legal, I'd record a conversation with them and make a youtube clip about them. Bad press is bad press.

...and maybe once you get this sorted, you can find somewhere to post a log of what you had to do so others using this same crap company won't have to wait weeks trying to figure out wtf is going on...

Just my 2¢

this tells me just what I thought; the router/modem combo is acting as only a modem. But as YeOlde said, it can do the authentication and NAT, be an actual router, so you can get online with multiple computers provided it gets configured properly.
Some of those options, though, you will need to get the information from the ISP, searching around, or testing each one out yourself.
Namely the PVC configuration and Encapsulation mode.

The PPP username and password they would have already provided to you; which is how you are currently authenticating directly from your computer.

he will definitely need some of the info before attempting this. It will take more than just "turning on DHCP" to get the router to do the authentication and turn it to router-mode.
Seeing as how the screenshots he provided show the username and password boxes empty, really nothing set in the PVC configuration and encapsulation modes, and he has changed no settings, simply turning on DHCP will do nothing except have the router hand out IPs.
It has not been configured to do the authentication so there are more steps to it than that.

edit: ok, I do see you said to enter the username and password into the router; that steps needs to happen at the same time as turning on DHCP. Not after turning on DHCP and trying to ping google.

I've also stated previously; the DUN/PPP connection on the computer will basically need disabled. The easiest way to do this, is:
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> select the "Never dial a connection" radio button -> OK.

edit: ok, I do see you said to enter the username and password into the router; that steps needs to happen at the same time as turning on DHCP. Not after turning on DHCP and trying to ping google.

You're likely right - especially b/c of that PPP connection showing up in ipconfig. The reason I'd try it after the fact...I've not seen a DSL connection in years that needed a username/password setup in the router.

My recent experience has been with the 2wire boxes from ATT and the little crap modem/router from Embarq (or whatever they changed their name to). Neither have that type of authentication setup...

You're likely right - especially b/c of that PPP connection showing up in ipconfig. The reason I'd try it after the fact...I've not seen a DSL connection in years that needed a username/password setup in the router.

My recent experience has been with the 2wire boxes from ATT and the little crap modem/router from Embarq (or whatever they changed their name to). Neither have that type of authentication setup...

a DUN/PPP connection would not be necessary if it were a DHCP network like cable internet. The fact that there is an active DUN/PPP connection tells me that his ISP uses a form of authentication other than modem MAC address (ie, PPPoE)

thanks to your help (all those who have viewed and/or commented on this thread).
I got it working now. :cool: :) :cool:
Has really streamlined my work at home. :p:p

Thanks again for bearing with patience the minuscule knowledge i have (rather "had", ) on the topic.

Sorry for being late at the thanks giving :)

HF always has n always will rock ;)

Last edited:
Back