Internet

Aushvill

n00b
hi folks

I have a Router with 4 Ethernet ports. :eek:
Have 2 computers ...one running Windows Vista , other runnin XP.

I have broadband internet connection.

I connected both to the router.
I can use the internet, though only on 1 machine at a time..:eek:

I want to use internet simultaneously on both ...BUT dont know how to configure that... :confused:

Tell me how to connect the machines so that I can use internet on both at same time..

been told the I have to setup a LAN or somethin...:confused::confused::confused:

go to start, run or press windows r (bring up run box)

Type in cmd.

then type at the prompt in the black box "ipconfig /all" (Without quotes)

Paste the output here.

Then we figure out the computer getting internet access has an external IP.

...then you get probed with more questions - so lets get them out of the way now...

1. What router
2. What modem
3. What port in the router is that modem plugged into?

Now depending on those questions, you'll get answers like:

That's a switch - not a router ... or ...
Its not going to work if you plug your modem via usb to your computer ... or ...
You need to plug your modem into the spot on your router labeled "WAN" or "internets" ...or even worse ...
RTFM!!!

...but this really all depends on you giving more info :p

Sounds like a DHCP issue to me, but hard to tell with this little information.

@ Shockey

.... and then wot ..

We really need the information Shockey asked for first. I mean we could play guessing games all day, but we need something first to provide direction. If we see what DHCP is doing, then we may know what to do next.

all i wanted to say was that if u could be specific as to your requirements, it could be easier for you to help me and to save your time .... also increasing my awareness on the topic.

The more data u ask for, the more u will have to sieve thru unwanted stuff....

and besides I intend to learn from you.

Doctah has already asked three questions that you've yet to answer.

Unwanted data is opinionated. An "ipconfig /all" can tell us a lot about whether your router is configured correctly or not.

@ Shockey

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : *******
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter Broadband Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadband Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.204.XXX.XXX(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.XXX
218.248.241.XXX
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FB-C2-B3-14
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-19-FC-6F-DA
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.XXX.XXX(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.XXX
218.248.255.XXX
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

@Shadowspawn

Router model : Nokia Siemens Residential Router 1600

You have the info, now let the magic begin ...:cool:

Any other info needed, I'll provide..

Last edited:
Did you get the router new, or used?

What ports do you have things plugged into? Computers in LAN, modem in WAN?

You have no gateway or DHCP enabled on your router.

On home-user routers, on the back where the ports are, there are a set of ports (usually blue/yellow) for LAN and one port that's black/orange, that single port is a WAN port for you to connect your modem to.

You have no gateway or DHCP enabled on your router.

On home-user routers, on the back where the ports are, there are a set of ports (usually blue/yellow) for LAN and one port that's black/orange, that single port is a WAN port for you to connect your modem to.

I did setup a LAN, sometime earlier.That was when I needed a "gateway " to be entered manually. But that didnt work either.

The current settings are of default settings ... I just setup the internet connection (entering only my userid n password as provided my ISP, the rest was done automatically) ...n it connected..(although only a single PC at a time.)

However, I see that DHCP is enabled (as it should be...)
Correct me if I am wrong.

@ CaseyBlackburn

Yes, the ports are connected properly.

Can't insert an RJ 45 connector cable into an RJ 11 port ....

Last edited:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.204.132.197(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

That is not default settings, default settings would give you an IP address of 192.168.0.X

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.199.107(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Any 169.X.X.X IP address is Windows Auto-configuriation IP Address.

That just means that the host machine will accept a DHCP from a DHCP server.

FYI DHCP is not always defaultly enabled. You can see that your DNS server redirection was sent to your host, but not a DHCP address. You might have to go and double check.

That was when I needed a "gateway " to be entered manually. But that didnt work either.

The gateway should have been default to your router.

That is not default settings, default settings would give you an IP address of 192.168.0.X

Any 169.X.X.X IP address is Windows Auto-configuriation IP Address.

That just means that the host machine will accept a DHCP from a DHCP server.

FYI DHCP is not always defaultly enabled. You can see that your DNS server redirection was sent to your host, but not a DHCP address. You might have to go and double check.

The gateway should have been default to your router.

What are you trying to get at ?? (to the point)

Check with your ISP..while it can be a full router/gateway, it looks like it's configured in bridged mode, but it's doing the PPPoE, and it's only allowing 1x PC to connect.

Does your ISP charge for multiple PCs?

What are you trying to get at ?? (to the point)
His point:

Your computer should not be getting the address: 117.204.132.197
Your router should be assigned that address.
Your computer should be getting an internal/private address of some type.
I find it interesting you have a PPP connection listed in your IPConfig /all output. I don't remember that showing up on my system (win 7) when I had DSL. The PPP part was taken care of by the router (ie. you put the user name/password in the router - not the computer).

Check with your ISP.
I'm going to have to agree. I can't find any manual on this router via google?!?!? Its kind of hard working blind.

When I search, I keep finding people using an ISP called BSNL and having the same issue you're seeing. When I go to the BSNL website, I feel like I'm looking at some tripod/anglefire site from 1999 :(. I'm really surprised I don't see any documentation on their website for this router as it seems to be something branded specifically for this ISP

When you received this router, did it come with any instructions on how to access its configuration page?

His point:

Your computer should not be getting the address: 117.204.132.197
Your router should be assigned that address.
Your computer should be getting an internal/private address of some type.
I find it interesting you have a PPP connection listed in your IPConfig /all output. I don't remember that showing up on my system (win 7) when I had DSL. The PPP part was taken care of by the router (ie. you put the user name/password in the router - not the computer).

I'm going to have to agree. I can't find any manual on this router via google?!?!? Its kind of hard working blind.

When I search, I keep finding people using an ISP called BSNL and having the same issue you're seeing. When I go to the BSNL website, I feel like I'm looking at some tripod/anglefire site from 1999 :(. I'm really surprised I don't see any documentation on their website for this router as it seems to be something branded specifically for this ISP

When you received this router, did it come with any instructions on how to access its configuration page?

I started it, you ended it, we earned ourselves 2 pints of Guinness! I glanced right over the PPP adapter in his ipconfig output, so indeed his Nokia is running as a pure old fashioned bridged modem, it's not a router/gateway at all (or at least not configured as one).

OP:

Take a picture of the ports on this "router". It isn't acting as a router. It is odd that we cannot find a manual of any kind for this device.

It isn't working because your ISP is providing one IP and the first computer to be connected is taking that IP. Your PC is essentially sitting on a public IP for all of the world to see which is probably not the safest place for you to be, given your apparent lack of knowledge.

You need to purchase a Linksys or Dlink router and connect that to your modem/router. Once connected it will pull the one IP given by your ISP. Then you need to connect your computers to the new routers LAN ports.

You should be good at that point.

OP:
Take a picture of the ports on this "router". It isn't acting as a router. It is odd that we cannot find a manual of any kind for this device.

Thanks for clarifying that. :p I would assume he would have known what a router was if he was using the term... :rolleyes: It sounds like some archaic switch/hub.

Thanks for clarifying that. :p I would assume he would have known what a router was if he was using the term... :rolleyes: It sounds like some archaic switch/hub.

You'd be surprise how many people mistakingly mix modem with router with switch.

The Nokia Siemens is very similar to many of the Speedstream 4100/5100 and replacement Motorola models that we see AT&T use today for their residential DSL setups. AT&T sets them up as a router for a single computer, it does the PPPoE and does NAT and DHCP will allow 1x private IP address behind it. However, the unit can be configured as a pure bridged modem also...as most of us will reconfigure it so we can use our own routers to do the PPPoE and obtain the public IP address.

I'm betting that's his setup.

Do you realize how many times people use the terms "router" and "switch" without knowing what they mean? Given the OP's apparent level of knowledge, I doubt he can describe the functions of either. If he could, he wouldn't need to ask for our help. No offense to the OP.

I am breaking my posts down into the simplest terms because it is clear he doesn't understand what he is working with. This doesn't give you the right to make smart ass comments.

I am referring to it as a router only because of its name, which I am sure is the reason the OP is using the term as well.

It clearly isn't acting as a router but instead is acting as a modem. This is why I asked for the picture of the interfaces.

The rest of my previous post stands as is.

Do you realize how many times people use the terms "router" and "switch" without knowing what they mean? Given the OP's apparent level of knowledge, I doubt he can describe the functions of either. If he could, he wouldn't need to ask for our help. No offense to the OP.

I am breaking my posts down into the simplest terms because it is clear he doesn't understand what he is working with. This doesn't give you the right to make smart ass comments.

I am referring to it as a router only because of its name, which I am sure is the reason the OP is using the term as well.

It clearly isn't acting as a router but instead is acting as a modem. This is why I asked for the picture of the interfaces.

The rest of my previous post stands as is.
I'm just trying to point out its harder to help someone if they don't know how/which terminology to use.

I'm just trying to point out its harder to help someone if they don't know how/which terminology to use.

Yes it is...but as you gain experience in tech forums...you'll notice that many users that ask questions will not know the correct terminology. The best help can be given by anticipating that, and heading in that direction...rather than jump down the throat of the OP because they didn't know the different, resulting in them feeling like an idiot and leaving the thread/forum...instead of getting help, and then having the correct terminology explained to them in a constructive manner.

wonder if just NAT needs to be enabled?
Looks like it's a DSL modem/wireless router combo.

no... because if everything was configured properly, you would not be able to use the PPPoE connection that was setup on the computer.

For one thing, OP, you need to atleast disable the PPPoE connection. Easiest way:
Open IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> Select "Never dial a connection"

then you will need to access the router, looks like it's IP is 192.168.1.1 with a default username and password of admin/admin

and then it looks like Advanced Setup -> WAN from the menu.

atleast, that's what it should be for, for a Nokia Siemens Residential Wlan Router-1600 ( or SL2-141 Type -B)

http://navjottomer.blogspot.com/2009/12/port-forwarding-of-nokia-siemens.html
This link is about port forwarding, but atleast provided some screen shots of the setup pages for this router

edit: is this your router?
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/391212/siemens-sl2-141-full-user-manual

Based on what is found from google - I agree with j-sta. This "thing" seems to be a router, but it's just not currently setup to work as a router. There are people talking about using the "built in wireless"...

OP just needs to figure out how to get to the configuration page. I assume he'd have to set his NIC to a static IP and go to the 192.168.1.1 address.

...what a crappy setup.

OP:

It isn't working because your ISP is providing one IP and the first computer to be connected is taking that IP. Your PC is essentially sitting on a public IP for all of the world to see which is probably not the safest place for you to be, given your apparent lack of knowledge.

You need to purchase a Linksys or Dlink router and connect that to your modem/router. Once connected it will pull the one IP given by your ISP. Then you need to connect your computers to the new routers LAN ports.

You should be good at that point.

These images should be of help (if any ?)

1.http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4474/img3425n.jpg
2.http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6537/img3427e.jpg
3.http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2756/img3428l.jpg
4.http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6963/img3429d.jpg

Regarding the terminology, I think these images will sort out all the confusion (as thought to be from my side) and misconceptions.

No offense, but that's the weirdest shit I've seen. It looks like something out of an anime show because of the blue and yellow and white colours. :p

I think this is what you're looking for. Link

No offense, but that's the weirdest shit I've seen. It looks like something out of an anime show because of the blue and yellow and white colours. :p

I think this is what you're looking for. Link

I thought the images were to help clear whether this is a router or a modem and not intended to begin a judgment on the form factor.
Besides your comments bout the form factor (if there is any !!!) :rolleyes:

I had already visited that link , before posting on this forum.
They OP on that link still has his query unanswered " Now, can u help me? step by step... How to configure it on my PC...??? "
.. which in theory is the same question as mine....!!

PS : I would like to know where does this discussion stand.. ?
Will I be able to get any help ? or not ?

The pictures are fine.

Who setup this router to begin with? Was it put in place by the ISP?

I ask because the configuration is not your average install.

I thought the images were to help clear whether this is a router or a modem and not intended to begin a judgment on the form factor.

They OP on that link still has his query unanswered " Now, can u help me? step by step... How to configure it on my PC...??? "

I'm pretty sure ShadowStriker's comment about colors and whatnot was more sarcastic.

FYI, as I posted in my previous post, which wasn't answered, although you have pics...

this is your router, correct?

is there any sort of reset button on the router? Although I don't see any in the pics

It says inanswered, but there's a solution someone posted. I'm assuming it didn't work for you?

Last edited:
an additional question would be... how do you get the one computer connected to the internet?
do you use a DUN connection? ie, was an internet connection created on the computer, that you have to click on to get connected, or atleast automatically connects?

is there anything listed here:
Open IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> "Diaul-up and Virtual Private Network settings"

PS : I would like to know where does this discussion stand?

Your fix would be simple if we knew what was going on inside that box. It is a modem/router all built into a single box. Your pictures clarify that (thanks). It HAS to have some sort of interface to "program" it. Now its just a mater of figuring out how to access it and what changes need to be made.

My sister has a similar box from her ISP. When you access the configuration page, you can tell it to function as a basic modem, or you can tell it to function as a NAT router.

So from this point, you're going to need to figure out how to access that configuration page. Without the manual, we can only go based on experience with other/similar boxes or based on what is found on google. One of the sites I saw (the same ShadowStriker posted) stated you can access it from http://192.168.1.1. Based on your ipconfig /all, you won't be able to access that unless you setup your NIC for a static IP as you're not currently getting an IP in that format. Not sure if you know how to do that and I'd hate to have you making changes that might kick you off the internet.

If I were in your position - I'd ask the ISP for a PDF copy of the manual (and then post it online so people can find it in the future) - or if they have any specific instructions on setting up that box to function as router/NAT firewall.

or

I'd try to purchase my own router. Since your computer is getting an IP directly from the ISP - I think you won't have any issues if you buy a router and set it up per the instructions it comes with.

If this box is provided by the ISP, why don't you just call their support and get them to help you? It's provided by them, so they know it best. Plus, you are paying them for their service so demand that they help you get what you pay for.

If this box is provided by the ISP, why don't you just call their support and get them to help you? It's provided by them, so they know it best. Plus, you are paying them for their service so demand that they help you get what you pay for.

I think this would be the best option for you OP. seeing as you may need to be walked through setting this router up to function correctly for multiple computer and people on here are having no/little experience. It will take longer most likely than just calling up your ISP support number and asking them ;)

I'm pretty sure ShadowStriker's comment about colors and whatnot was more sarcastic.

FYI, as I posted in my previous post, which wasn't answered, although you have pics...

this is your router, correct?

is there any sort of reset button on the router? Although I don't see any in the pics

No. this is not my router. This has a USB port mine has none.

Here is a list of similar sounding names or makes. NONE OF WHICH ARE MINE.

Nokia Siemens : C2110

Siemens :
c-010-i
CL-110
E-010-I
e-110
Gigaset
Gigaset-204A
Gigaset-SE567
GigasetSE105
GigasetSE505
gigasetse515