Internet Explorer Turns 15

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently I wasn’t the only one celebrating a birthday this week, Internet Explorer turned 15 yesterday. Has it been that long? Wow.

Internet Explorer made its debut on August 16, 1995, just one month after Microsoft released Windows 95. The browser was part of something called the Internet Jumpstart Kit that was part of the Microsoft Plus add-on to Windows 95. The browser's origins can be traced to the company's big Internet Strategy Day in which Microsoft announced it had recognized the Internet and would be adding Net capabilities to all of its products.

I know I shouldn't, but I have to nitpick.

Windows 95 was released August 24, 1995 to the general public.

I know.... that's the day I met my wife, and it was because of the Windows 95 Launch party at CompUSA. It's a long story, but it's true.

So, did you mean one month after the code was released to OEMs?

It seems like only yesterday when our little IE was cuddly little thing. I remember the play-dates with Comet Cursor and all the other little darling Spywares.

My how they have all grown.

I know I shouldn't, but I have to nitpick.

Windows 95 was released August 24, 1995 to the general public.

I know.... that's the day I met my wife, and it was because of the Windows 95 Launch party at CompUSA. It's a long story, but it's true.

So, did you mean one month after the code was released to OEMs?
You'd have to ask the writer of the article. However, according to wiki, Win 95 (OEM and Retail) have a release date of August 24 but a timestamp of July 11. The latter probably means Win 95 was "Released to Manufacturing" (RTM) on 7/11.

I used to boycott IE at first.
I was a Netscape user, and didn't want to use IE at first.
But as Netscape sucked more and more... Eventually, I had to give in to the superior navigator at that time. (Didn't know Opera back then)
And like 5, 6 years ago, I moved on to Opera.

I remember when I was using Lynx when I wanted to go on the web, but Windows 3.1 when I wanted to stay local. I didn't know of a web browser (text or otherwise) back then for Windows.

It wasn't under Windows 95 I discovered Netscape and chatted on CawfeeTalk Latte, one of the first web based chat room at virtualmedia.com

I wasn't very familiar with Internet Explorer until IE4 became integrated into Windows 98 and 98SE.

I recall it when it called itself "Mosaic". That was before it was adopted by Microsoft and renamed IE 1.0.

I thought Netscape picked up Mosaic, not Microsoft. The developers of Mosaic created Netscape Navigator.

All I knew, when my mom got a new 120MHz NEC, was that I double clicked on the AOL icon to get to the online chat rooms and WebCrawler.

Just yesterday, I was cleaning out my garage and I came across my IE 3.0 Midnight Madness shirt. They were given away free to the first 10,000 or so downloaders.

Damn, this thread is depressing b/c it reminds me of how old I am. :p

I thought Netscape picked up Mosaic, not Microsoft. The developers of Mosaic created Netscape Navigator.
That's what I also thought. Mosaic was the 1st browser I used (and it was back in college). Then Netscape, then IE, then Mozilla browsers (most recently Firefox for the past several years).

I remember when I was using Lynx when I wanted to go on the web, but Windows 3.1 when I wanted to stay local. I didn't know of a web browser (text or otherwise) back then for Windows.

Kind of messy to browse the web with Lynx when the use of frames became popular, eh?
:D

I used to love watching the 'e' spin in the upper right corner as I waited for my dial up to load the page.

Wow, I've completely forgotten about that spinning logo until you mention it :eek:
Used to be fascinated by it, lol

Ah, IE, how you have grown old and fat. The dinosaur is showing its age.

um, no.

IE-size.jpg

Firefox-size.jpg

Chrome-size.jpg

milliseconds or not, the performance isn't as good as other browsers. IE runs like crap on Windows 7 laptop when I start opening more than 1 tab. Chrome and Firefox fly on it just fine.

Well I don't know what to tell you, IE runs just as good as Chrome and Firefox on my computer.

Back