Internet Explorer Passes 55% Market Share in January

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Internet Explorer and Firefox both showed gains in January along with a slight uptick for Opera, while the once up and coming Google Chrome continues to lose ground. Internet Explorer came in holding over 55% of all browser traffic in January.

I have to say: The new Interwebs Exploder is quite good. I found my self using it more and more. It works really good, is quite fast too.

Only thing it still lacks is plugin support and general configurability. But it's getting way better with every release.

Firefox on the other hand get's bloated and worse :/ (imho)

rob2@rob-desktop:~$ apt-cache search internetexplorer
rob2@rob-desktop:~$ apt-cache search internet-explorer
rob2@rob-desktop:~$ apt-cache search ie10

What is this internet explorer you speak of?

I use ie. For a few work apps that force me. It is pretty much as awful as ever. JavaScript Crashes just about every single time. I will never understand why anyone uses it or opera voluntarily.

I have to say: The new Interwebs Exploder is quite good. I found my self using it more and more. It works really good, is quite fast too.

Only thing it still lacks is plugin support and general configurability. But it's getting way better with every release.

Firefox on the other hand get's bloated and worse :/ (imho)

Unfortunately they're talking about IE as a whole. Version 8 is still the number one browser out there which only tells you a lot of people don't have their Windows Update settings working correctly because version 9 was forced onto PCs through it a long while back.

That said, on Windows I use Chrome because it self updates and I can have Java on my machine for Minecraft purposes but have Chrome completely oblivious to it's existence.

Unfortunately they're talking about IE as a whole. Version 8 is still the number one browser out there which only tells you a lot of people don't have their Windows Update settings working correctly because version 9 was forced onto PCs through it a long while back.

That said, on Windows I use Chrome because it self updates and I can have Java on my machine for Minecraft purposes but have Chrome completely oblivious to it's existence.

IE 9 was never forced onto PCs. It's always been an Optional Update. So even if you have auto updates on, you wouldn't get IE9 unless you manually told windows to get it.

Just sayin'

Cheers,

I use ie. For a few work apps that force me. It is pretty much as awful as ever. JavaScript Crashes just about every single time. I will never understand why anyone uses it or opera voluntarily.

Sounds a lot more like something unique to you and whatever you're doing on the Internet. IE is pretty much a "meh, it works so why bother using something else" thing for me. If you want a good browser, Lynx is pretty much unbeatable for security and performance.

Firefox...I'm not really sure why...just "feels" better under Linux than it does in Win7/Vista/XP (haven't tried it on 8 since I don't really boot into 8 that often).

W3 should be raw...NetApplications, Microsoft's preferred vendor for IE stats-a wee bit of bias there, weights their results are weighted by country "to give the most accurate results possible".

Your grapes are sour. W3's methodology and selection of web sites is quite different and isn't explained very well, unlike NA.

Even without weighting, a quite valid statistical analysis method, IE is still used by tons of people for whatever reasons. Most normal people don't care about nerd rage against IE, so that's not too surprising.

FWIW, I use Chrome and don't have strong opinions for or against modern versions of IE. It does seem quite useable though.

even though it's cliche to talk trash on internet explorer and it's more cliche to say it's cliche I still want that mother fucker to burn

I think it is great the browser people get if they know nothing is at least not flaming crap now. I have a strong preference for firefox personally (I tweak out on UI customization), but IE 10 works well. It's not like browser molasses as prior releases were.

Is it the BEST browser? I'd say no. But is it a good enough one? Yes, it is.

Version 8 is still the number one browser out there which only tells you a lot of people don't have their Windows Update settings working correctly because version 9 was forced onto PCs through it a long while back.

I guess it comes down to what you call setting up Windows Update Correctly. I have mine as download but notify me what to install. To me that's doing it correctly and why IE 9 was never automatically installed.

Firefox for me is still my preferred browser. I just like the way it's set up which suits me. I don't like IE 9 at all and I don't like Chrome. Tried Chrome for a while and just could not get used to it. Got rid of it and IE 9 (after I tried it and didn't like it). I use Firefox number one and occasionally IE 8.

I guess it comes down to what you call setting up Windows Update Correctly. I have mine as download but notify me what to install. To me that's doing it correctly and why IE 9 was never automatically installed.

Firefox for me is still my preferred browser. I just like the way it's set up which suits me. I don't like IE 9 at all and I don't like Chrome. Tried Chrome for a while and just could not get used to it. Got rid of it and IE 9 (after I tried it and didn't like it). I use Firefox number one and occasionally IE 8.

IE8 is the highest you can go on Windows XP. IE9 is the highest you can go on Windows Vista, and IE10 isn't out yet.

Because it integrates with group policy. This is something firefox or google chrome doesn't do cleanly.

Hell take at a look at the deployment guide for firefox.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Deployment:Deploying_Firefox

It is a fucking mess.

Group policy manager is way easier to set up things like proxy/safe zones, trusted sites, active x controls, the list goes on.

People will never understand this.

ie has been getting better but still sucks...

Thanks for the detailed analysis and review!

I've been using Internet Explorer as my primary browser since IE6, always has been functional and never had any real issues for me. IE8, IE9, and IE10 are bliss.

Firefox on the other hand..... ugh... renders many pages improperly, runs slowly, consumes heaps of memory per tab (often 100-150mb+ per), updates itself extremely frequently with too-rapid versioning, and lacks in visual polish such as dragging tabs or windows around for their animations. The only thing I like it for is noscript for testing and browsing sites sometimes.

Chrome, I have yet to use on a personal basis as it has the google "spyware" and IE works well.

The main reason that IE is over 50% usage is because 90% of computer users probably don't know anything about any others since they are not there when Windows first starts up. Honestly anyone I know outside of the hardcore computer nerds have no clue Firefox or Chrome even exists. Has nothing to do with being better or worse.

I have seen a few TV adds for Chrome and never saw one for Firefox or Opera since ZDTV went off the air.

I will never understand why anyone uses [...] opera voluntarily.

opera user here, i can answer

opera was first in several areas:

tabbed browsing
omnibar
speed dial
page (not just font) zooming
mouse gestures

and still, opera's functionality is still the best in those things.

i can browse faster and cover more ground and attain more information faster in opera than i can in chrome due to requiring less inputs.

Yeah FireFox for me is getting more slow and buggy... and I barely use any addons...

IE and chrome seem more stable and responsive now...

still, FF is my default

well chrome has not been very stable in the past months... they had a huge problem with gifs, they were not loading.

Oh oh oh, I figured it out.... All those people who got windows 8 can't figure out how to download an alternative browser because Win 8 is too confusing to use!

Do I get a candy? :D

Oh oh oh, I figured it out.... All those people who got windows 8 can't figure out how to download an alternative browser because Win 8 is too confusing to use!

Do I get a candy? :D

So what your saying is that there are so many people using Windows 8 that it would make a difference in the IE market share? :D

Only ever used Firefox for some things that wouldn't render correctly on IE (written to only render properly on FF). I guess my not [H]ard enough, never had a major issue with IE. Would like more plugin support etc, but I generally am just reading things on the internet, don't need much to display text.

Your grapes are sour. W3's methodology and selection of web sites is quite different and isn't explained very well, unlike NA.

Even without weighting, a quite valid statistical analysis method, IE is still used by tons of people for whatever reasons. Most normal people don't care about nerd rage against IE, so that's not too surprising.

FWIW, I use Chrome and don't have strong opinions for or against modern versions of IE. It does seem quite useable though.

I second this post.

Although I have been having some issues lately with Crome and streaming.

IE 9 was never forced onto PCs. It's always been an Optional Update. So even if you have auto updates on, you wouldn't get IE9 unless you manually told windows to get it.

Just sayin'

Cheers,

False.

Lsat year, IE8 was pushed - automatically and as an important update - to all Windows XP PCs. IE9 was similarly pushed to all Vista/Win7 PCs. The only consumer (non-managed) PCs who didn't get it were those who disabled Windows Update or added the IE blocker toolkit to explicitly block it.

Managed PCs (WSUS Server, SMS/SCCM, Intune) recevied it only if their system admin approved it for them. Admins always take precedence over automatic installs in managed environments.

opera user here, i can answer

opera was first in several areas:

tabbed browsing
omnibar
speed dial
page (not just font) zooming
mouse gestures

and still, opera's functionality is still the best in those things.

i can browse faster and cover more ground and attain more information faster in opera than i can in chrome due to requiring less inputs.

First is irrelevant at this point when they almost all do it. Plus Opera fails at the most important features.

1) Security
2) Control over what content is allowable (i.e adblock, no script etc)
3) Stability

Of course my primary bitch with IE and opera comes from how I use them. I do a ton of streaming video through places like twitch.tv and frankly both of them suck balls at it. I pretty much use chrome for general web and forums due to speed and the fact that It isn't hard to turn off creepy uncle googles tracking and firefox for video since even with FF's issues it just does it better. Even ignoring all that, I refuse to use opera because of all the butthurt bitching they have done to the EU.

Back