Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7

HardOCP News

[H] News
Internet Explorer 10 is now available for Windows 7 users. Grab it if you want it, try it if you haven't.

Internet Explorer 10 harnesses the untapped power of your PC, delivering pages full of vivid graphics, smoother video, and interactive content. Experience the web the way you want to with pinned sites, built-in Spellcheck, and seamless integration with your PC running Windows 7. Improved features like SmartScreen Filter and Tracking Protection let you be more aware of threats to your PC and your privacy.

with IE11 coming out pretty soon what's the point of upgrading to version 10?

IE 10 has features that IE 9 does not. Also, I think IE11 will not be out for Windows 7 but I do not know that for sure.

so is IE10 included as part of that platform update being released today for Windows 7?...hopefully not as it would make much more sense to include it as a separate optional download

It is a separate download. *sigh* Click on the link and you will see.

The UI for IE8-10 has remained pretty constant. Most end users probably won't notice the difference, which is probably a good thing.

It is a separate download. *sigh* Click on the link and you will see.

I don't know why you're sighing...the link has nothing to do with the Windows Update rollout of IE10...today there's a separate platform update being released for Windows 7

IE10 finally has last tab session remembrance which will be really helpful in a business environment.

with Firefox 516 coming soon, what's the point of upgrading to Firefox 279?

the difference is this...first off MS does not release new versions of IE that frequently, especially in relation to Firefox...MS has strongly hinted that IE11 will be included with the major update for W8 coming out in a few months...so the fact that MS is not calling it 10.1 or 10b etc makes it a major release...and MS has never had 2 major releases of IE within a few month timespan...hence the question of why bother...just wait for IE11

It still has the same piss poor layout that they have used the last few generations. I'll pass.

the difference is this...first off MS does not release new versions of IE that frequently, especially in relation to Firefox...MS has strongly hinted that IE11 will be included with the major update for W8 coming out in a few months...so the fact that MS is not calling it 10.1 or 10b etc makes it a major release...and MS has never had 2 major releases of IE within a few month timespan...hence the question of why bother...just wait for IE11

Always a first time for everything. Microsoft knows the name of the game now is update frequently or die. Customers are not going to wait anymore for the software giant to play catch up. Microsoft used to be able to dictate the future, but not anymore - at least not outside of the desktop. More mobile devices are being bought now than ever before - phones, tablets, convertibles - and Microsoft knows they need to get with the program or eventually be washed away.

Some of you guys may laugh, but the "year of Linux" has finally came - just not very noticeably so.

I used the link in the OP and it updates to the same version in this offline installer.

the Facebook issues are fixed now, now I can finally uninstall Chrome.

You can take your IE10 and shovel it.

hDECAD0EB

Yeah I don't get that one either.

I'll give it a try. I liked IE9 when it first came out and although Chrome is my mainstay, I'm always looking to try something a little different on the browser front.

"pin it" is very nice. anyone know how can we add [H] to it and make the forward and back buttons red?

"pin it" is very nice. anyone know how can we add [H] to it and make the forward and back buttons red?

With IE9 all you had to do was drag the tab to the taskbar... (but for some reason [H] doesn't have a favirotes icon for me, so this isn't working right now...:eek:

Some of you guys may laugh, but the "year of Linux" has finally came - just not very noticeably so.

It's been the "year of Linux" for 17 straight years. Even the people that predict the apocalypse and the second coming of Christ think you guys have no credibility. Pack it up and go home.

With IE9 all you had to do was drag the tab to the taskbar... (but for some reason [H] doesn't have a favirotes icon for me, so this isn't working right now...:eek:

its working thanks a lot, the buttons are red also. can't wait for v11 :D

The only reason I started using IE10 in Windows 8 was because of the native Pinch-2-Zoom and Pinning functionality.

Chrome is still the better "renderer" but that is because developers don't follow standards and code only to WebKit.

Internet Explorer is the better overall app in book. Firefox is getting more stable this year. Chrome has gotten more unstable the past two years.

That is all.

So far I like it ok. Doesn't seem to be any bugs in it so far. I do like the spell checker and auto correct feature better on this than on others. I also like how when typing in a password or something else that is hidden, being able to click the eyeball icon and see what youre typing is very nice. I type fast and sloppy and always seem to have to enter my passwords a couple times cause I screw it up.

Always a first time for everything. Microsoft knows the name of the game now is update frequently or die. Customers are not going to wait anymore for the software giant to play catch up. Microsoft used to be able to dictate the future, but not anymore - at least not outside of the desktop. More mobile devices are being bought now than ever before - phones, tablets, convertibles - and Microsoft knows they need to get with the program or eventually be washed away.

If you are talking about chrome os then I would beg to differ and as for the ubuntu operating system I doubt it will catch on considering the general consumer has never heard of ubuntu. I personaly am not a big fan of linux because of the additional time I have to spend to set everything up and make sure things are compatiable.

So far I like it ok. Doesn't seem to be any bugs in it so far.

You're lucky because there are hundreds if not thousands. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't seem to care and basically hasn't fixed any between the release preview several months ago and now. Way to go IE dev team.

Maybe the Guv'ment will get around to upgrading this time too? I'm still on IE7 at work, almost every webpage tells me my browser isn't supported :(

I decided to try Linux again after 10+ years, and also used some Mac gear (why oh why it sells so god damn much being that expensive). I must say that, yes, year of Linux arrived. I'm considering moving almost all my machines to it - except the gaming one, for now.

Maybe the Guv'ment will get around to upgrading this time too? I'm still on IE7 at work, almost every webpage tells me my browser isn't supported :(

Blame MS.

There's absolutely no reason why MS is holding back their IE updates for users on older OSes. As a result, you've got all these older and insecure versions of IE that won't get updated by MS. Developers have a right to not have to jump through hoops because MS can't get its act together, W3C be damned.

If IE11 doesn't get rolled out to Win7 users then they'll be missing out on some pretty big advancements in HTML5. With the sudden rise of web apps, not offering an up-to-date browser for everyone is going to backfire on MS. Hard.

It's not that developers only code around webkit. Firefox rarely has any problems. But IE? Get ready to start sifting through your code and adding a whole lot of workarounds.

Thanks again, Microsoft!

(to everyone who's sane, for the love of god please use a proper browser)

You're lucky because there are hundreds if not thousands. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't seem to care and basically hasn't fixed any between the release preview several months ago and now. Way to go IE dev team.

Yeah the beta or whatever the hell it was called was a bugfest. All kinds of weird things going on with it. Ive only been on this thing for a few hours today and the only thing I can spot so far that's a little wonky is that it seems to take forever to start up but aside from that, everything seems to be running pretty smooth.

(to everyone who's sane, for the love of god please use a proper browser)

Thing is, if you use Windows 8 on a touch device, IE 10 is about the most proper browser there is, Google and Firefox have made little effort for touch in Windows, not that I blame them, but I think it made more sense for Microsoft, for better or for worse, to focus resources on the newest capabilities of their newest OS when no one else was than to back port a browser designed for touch to two OSes that never had touch in mind that are 6 and 12 years old.

It will be interesting to see if IE 11 gets back ported, my guess is that if they back ported 10 to 7 that they will 11, it shouldn't be that different and 7 is still their dominate OS. Microsoft historically hasn't been that bad in support of legacy products. You'll never see Google or Apple support anything as old as XP in their portfolio. And how many modern browsers will run on 12 year old versions of Linux? Who even runs a 12 year old version of Linux on a desktop?

tried out IE10...I saw a lot of reviews talking about how much faster it was then IE9 but I don't see that...it's a tad slower...oh well, at least IE10 is more standards compliant now :)

If you are talking about chrome os then I would beg to differ and as for the ubuntu operating system I doubt it will catch on considering the general consumer has never heard of ubuntu. I personaly am not a big fan of linux because of the additional time I have to spend to set everything up and make sure things are compatiable.

Stay inside of the context I was talking about. I said outside of the desktop, Microsoft's presence is virtually gone. Linux has won. Top that off with the rising popularity of mobile devices versus desktops, Linux will win in sheer numbers of users.

We here will cling to our desktop until they pry it out of our cold dead fingers, but the average Jane and Joe only wants something to post on Facebook and play Angry Birds and check their emails. Thank goodness for businesses that still need desktop computers or Microsoft will have to start tightening their belt.

It's not IE?

Sarcasm :-P

I don't adhere to browser wars. Each serve my needs. Chrome for personal browsing because I like it's bookmark and setting sync, Internet Explorer for work because RD Web Access and SharePoint works like a champ, and Firefox for random plug-ins I rarely need, like YouTube Download Helper to save music videos I know will be pulled offline.

Stay inside of the context I was talking about. I said outside of the desktop, Microsoft's presence is virtually gone. Linux has won. Top that off with the rising popularity of mobile devices versus desktops, Linux will win in sheer numbers of users.

I don't dispute your analysis of Microsoft in the mobile space at the moment but Android is not desktop Linux. What drives Android are it's apps that have more to thank to a JVM than Linux. I run a number of Android apps in Bluestacks and don't even have any Android device and no Linux machine at the moment. As for Linux wining, other than Samsung, no one at the moment is rolling in dough from Android (which you will call Linux) device sales.

Android will be widely deployed because it is free but it's another matter how much success partners will gain from that. We'll know more in the coming year as Android and Linux consoles and Ubuntu phones and tablets come out and how well HP and other PC makers looking to deal with the decline of the PC market fare.

We here will cling to our desktop until they pry it out of our cold dead fingers, but the average Jane and Joe only wants something to post on Facebook and play Angry Birds and check their emails. Thank goodness for businesses that still need desktop computers or Microsoft will have to start tightening their belt.

I agree and this indeed may be the biggest issue with the mobile space. People will buy a few apps, get the best deals they can on phones, but beyond their phone service though this is a big market that ain't gonna spend much money. Google and others can get ad money, some apps like Angry Birds will do gang busters, but even Facebook is having a hard time monetizing mobile.

There's a lot of growth in mobile at the moment but there's clear signs of issues and troubles in it that will become more and more noticeable as the growth flattens which is invariably the case with new technology as it matures.

That's not to say that the mobile space isn't going to make tons of money and become bigger and bigger but there's never enough gold in a gold mine.

Back