Internet Browsers

CrimandEvil said:
Anyone else have trouble using Firefox 9? I uninstalled 8 (but not the plugins) and it keep freezing up on me. Maybe I should do a new install (with no plugins)? I don't know but 8 never gave me trouble like this.

Mine wont even load now. It keeps giving me the same old microsoft error thing. send/dont send error report crap.

i dont surf much at home, so i dont really care. i'll just be reinstalling windows in the next month anyway. It's about time i did.

sirholio said:
Mine wont even load now. It keeps giving me the same old microsoft error thing. send/dont send error report crap.

Looks like 0.9 isn't as stable as I thought. :rolleyes: I'm happy with 0.8, though.

I think its something to do with the extensions used, I have an extension that doesn't work right after I went to a night build of 8.

I think microsoft should put some effort into improving IE [maybe focusing on making it the most secure browser (ironic I know)], then maybe they could pull back the browser market.

>Its weird that more people use FireFox over Opera yet Opera was named Best Browser by PCWorld.com

What's odd about that? Opera will cost you money -- most people will chose based on price if the utility function delta is small enough.

I seem to be one of only few people who have found that Firebird/Mozilla et al. still don't render pages correctly. After reading the comments about Gecko having the 'best renderer' I laughed and then laughed some more.

In the link I posted earlier where I had 2 images linked to the W3C site to show my compliance, Gecko has for some reason rendered a large nasty-ugly white border around one of the images. In another page I've just created, Gecko has decided to place 1 pixel gaps between certain elements on my page. Even IE get's it right, and they don't fully support CSS1, let alone CSS2.

Of course, as a self-proclaimed Opera user, I am quite pleased to say, it renders perfectly in Opera!. Check it out here, maybe it's just my machine?

http://members.shaw.ca/rfelix/index.html

THC

As far as I can tell it renders fine, maybe you should take sceenshots of how its suppose to render instead of bitch about something others can't see (if it's not rendering right).

eloj said:
>Its weird that more people use FireFox over Opera yet Opera was named Best Browser by PCWorld.com

What's odd about that? Opera will cost you money -- most people will chose based on price if the utility function delta is small enough.

You dont have to pay for Opera, you just get an ad banner that you never notice anyways.

No serious user will run in ad-mode. It scews up the whole layout. Which just strengthens my point; the ad thing is just another parameter turning people to the other gratis browsers.

CrimandEvil said:
As far as I can tell it renders fine, maybe you should take sceenshots of how its suppose to render instead of bitch about something others can't see (if it's not rendering right).

Same here, in FireFox 0.8.

Ok, here's a sample of the error on the last link I posted:

mozilla_render.gif

It does this in Mozilla 1.5, and Firebird 0.9 as well. Have you guys ever been to Slashdot? That page renders funny as well. Perhaps I've somehow got 2 b0rked installs of Gecko engined browsers, but I know these pages do not look as they should.

THC

edit: and I wasn't bitching, I said I was laughing :)

and below is the pic from Opera, IE shows it this way as well:

Opera_render.gif

TwoHardCore said:
Ok, here's a sample of the error on the last link I posted:

mozilla_render.gif

It does this in Mozilla 1.5, and Firebird 0.9 as well. Have you guys ever been to Slashdot? That page renders funny as well. Perhaps I've somehow got 2 b0rked installs of Gecko engined browsers, but I know these pages do not look as they should.

THC

Yeah, ignorance here, but I wouldn't have noticed had you not showed me. Thus, it isn't an issue. :)

If thats how your page is being rendered then I'd say it's user error since the page looks exactly the same in IE as it does in Firefox (actually it looks better in FF then IE) for me atleast. BTW I've never liked the layout of Slashdot, too chaotic for my taste.

CrimandEvil said:
If thats how your page is being rendered then I'd say it's user error since the page looks exactly the same in IE as it does in Firefox (actually it looks better in FF then IE) for me atleast.

Sort of. I notice a double-divider, under SlashDot on the right hand menu. But, it's not distracting in any way shape or form.

eloj said:
No serious user will run in ad-mode. It scews up the whole layout. Which just strengthens my point; the ad thing is just another parameter turning people to the other gratis browsers.

It doesnt screw up the whole layout, well only for picking ass people it would. And whats wrong with buying Opera its only supports the company.

TwoHardCore said:
edit: and I wasn't bitching, I said I was laughing :)

Sorry, I tend to be rather blunt and to the point I know that doesn't carry over well on the net. And I'm still not getting the problem, I'll a screen shot but I'll have to install the program and set it up....after I get sleep.

Well its obivious FireFox is way ahead in the lead, Opera is second, MyIE2 is third, rest are tied for fourth mainly...

Here's stats for 7 days...

The following information is based on 8214 visits to ImageLink.org.

Browsers:
AOL - 0.65% (53)
Mozilla Firefox - 19.78% (1625)
Galeon - 0.07% (6)
Konqueror - 0.11% (9)
MSIE - 74.82% (6146)
Netscape - 0.56% (46)
Opera - 1.17% (96)
Safari - 2.68% (220)
Unknown - 0.15% (12)
WebTV - 0.01% (1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating Systems:
Windows - 92.84% (7626)
Linux - 3.91% (321)
MacIntosh - 3.06% (251)
Other - 0.19% (16)

Detailed stats are in the box below:

Code:
Browsers: 
AOL (53)  
  (Windows) 53 
Firebird (21)  
  (Windows) 21 
Firefox (1455)  
  (Linux) 242 
  (MacIntosh) 15 
  (Windows) 1198 
Galeon (6)  
  (Linux) 6 
Konqueror (9)  
  (Linux) 9 
Mozilla (149)  
  (Linux) 37 
  (MacIntosh) 7 
  (Windows) 105 
MSIE (6142)  
  (MacIntosh) 8 
  (Windows) 6134 
Netscape (46)  
  (Linux) 8 
  (MacIntosh) 1 
  (Unknown) 3 
  (Windows) 34 
Opera (96)  
  (Linux) 19 
  (Windows) 77 
Safari (220)  
  (MacIntosh) 220 
Unknown (12)  
  (Unknown) 12 
WebTV (1)  
  (Unknown) 1

im an old fasion IE6 hardcore fan.

The reason? it does everything i need, nothing more, nothing less.

it handles scrolling better then mozilla, firebird/firefox (i consider them basically the same... and i use the terms interchangably),netscape, and opera. (especially when browsing webpages with multiple animated .gif pics..... that will bring opera crying to its feet. an example of this would be http://home.comcast.net/~towert7/index.html
Firebird handles scolling fairly nice, but still has trouble with animated .gif's..... IE6 is just so seamless (running at 0.8ghz).

As far as memory is concearned, IE6 takes up the least..... with firebird/fox in second place, and opera at a dead last... taking up the most RAM. now i understand why.... mouse movements and pop-up blockers... with tabed browsing.... but that's just stuff i don't need. ^_^

See, with me, i have my desktop at ~1200x1000 and i have a 2 layer taskbar in Windows.... so i don't mind opening many windows..... it works the same as tabed browsing for me. There are a few other quirks in firefox that i won't get into (picky details), and yes.... i don't use mouse jesters :D . As for tab'ed browsing.... ive tried it... ya... did'nt care for it... because in tabed browsing, you can only have a maximized page.... where as having multiple instances in a taskbar, you can have them all diffrent sizes (thus if you use large desktops, you can have multiple websites side by side (which i do often)). Oh well.

Now, some people complain about the security of IE6... and its true. At normal settings going to some "bad" sites (p0rn) you might get your whole computer filled with spyware, adware, popup's, hyjacking crap, tool bars, password stealers, redirectors... et cetera...

As for me though, i just keep it updated, and i have the normal internet run in HTML format only. By default i do not allow active X, javascript, flash..... none of that stuff. (much safer). This does put a hamper on some websites... as they require these plug-ins.... but if that's the case, and i trust the website, i just add it to the trusted sites place, where i have custom settings.

All in all, i like IE6 because its Lite, fast, and simple.

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
im an old fasion IE6 hardcore fan.

The reason? it does everything i need, nothing more, nothing less.

it handles scrolling better then mozilla, firebird/firefox (i consider them basically the same... and i use the terms interchangably),netscape, and opera. (especially when browsing webpages with multiple animated .gif pics..... that will bring opera crying to its feet. an example of this would be http://home.comcast.net/~towert7/index.html
Firebird handles scolling fairly nice, but still has trouble with animated .gif's..... IE6 is just so seamless (running at 0.8ghz).

As far as memory is concearned, IE6 takes up the least..... with firebird/fox in second place, and opera at a dead last... taking up the most RAM. now i understand why.... mouse movements and pop-up blockers... with tabed browsing.... but that's just stuff i don't need. ^_^

See, with me, i have my desktop at ~1200x1000 and i have a 2 layer taskbar in Windows.... so i don't mind opening many windows..... it works the same as tabed browsing for me.

Now, some people complain about the security of IE6... and its true. At normal settings going to some "bad" sites (p0rn) you might get your whole computer filled with spyware, adware, popup's, hyjacking crap, tool bars, password stealers, redirectors... et cetera...

As for me though, i just keep it updated, and i have the normal internet run in HTML format only. By default i do not allow active X, javascript, flash..... none of that stuff. (much safer). This does put a hamper on some websites... as they require these plug-ins.... but if that's the case, and i trust the website, i just add it to the trusted sites place, where i have custom settings.

All in all, i like IE6 because its Lite, fast, and simple.

~Hope this helps

I opened that site with the animated .gif's and I was able to scroll without it being choppy or laggy at all. As far as the RAM usage, according to Task Manger Opera uses only 6mb and when IE6 is using 16mb. In my experience Opera is better, its just an opinion im not aiming at you or anything.

C|ip$3 said:
I opened that site with the animated .gif's and I was able to scroll without it being choppy or laggy at all. As far as the RAM usage, according to Task Manger Opera uses only 6mb and when IE6 is using 16mb. In my experience Opera is better, its just an opinion im not aiming at you or anything.
No kidding! Firefox 0.9 is better, too. Fortunately both these browsers tend to be unfriendly to spyware and other garbage as well. The bad part is that there aren't any security patches to download. That makes for a couple of pretty dull browsers on those nights when you are really bored. :D

C|ip$3 said:

hm, perhaps faster computers don't lag as much as mine, lol.

Anyway... when your scrolling, are you using the autoscroll feature, you know, you press and hold the middle mouse button and move the mouse around? instead of just using the up/down key, scroll bar, or the scroll wheel?

as for the opera using 6mb and IE using 16, do you have the paid version of opera? or do you have the one with ad's? i only used the ad version, and when ie was around 10mb.... opera was around 33mb.

oh well, im also gonna have to try out that myie2.... sounds interesting.

oh also, does anyone know how to edit the mozilla firefox title bar? the bar at the very top that displays the webpage name.

i know how to change it by HTML, but it always keeps that "-Mozilla Firefox".
I know this can be done in IE6.... has anyone changed this in firefox?

~Thanks

I love firefox :), been using it since .5 I think. No more popups, tabed browsing, extensions, and themes are all lifesavers.

towert7 said:
oh also, does anyone know how to edit the mozilla firefox title bar? the bar at the very top that displays the webpage name.

i know how to change it by HTML, but it always keeps that "-Mozilla Firefox".
I know this can be done in IE6.... has anyone changed this in firefox?

I'm using WinRAR for this and Firefox .8
1) Go to: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\en-US.jar
2) Make a copy in a different folder
3) Now open en-US.jar in WinRAR and go to: Locale\en-US\Global\
4) look for the file called "brand.dtd" and open it up. Go to "Save as.." and make a copy

The file should look something like this:
<!ENTITY lang.version "1.6">
<!ENTITY brandShortName "Firefox">
<!ENTITY brandFullName "Mozilla Firefox">
<!ENTITY version "0.8">
<!ENTITY vendorShortName "Mozilla">

<!ENTITY releaseURL "http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/0.8.html">

5) Edit the copy the way you like and then copy paste it back into the original (make another backup!), WinRAR will pop up a window just click yes.
6) Close Winrar and open Firefox.

Firefox should now read what ever you put in. All Done.

towert7 said:
hm, perhaps faster computers don't lag as much as mine, lol.

Anyway... when your scrolling, are you using the autoscroll feature, you know, you press and hold the middle mouse button and move the mouse around? instead of just using the up/down key, scroll bar, or the scroll wheel?

as for the opera using 6mb and IE using 16, do you have the paid version of opera? or do you have the one with ad's? i only used the ad version, and when ie was around 10mb.... opera was around 33mb.

oh well, im also gonna have to try out that myie2.... sounds interesting.

Ohhhhhh... When I first click the middle mouse button its choppy for a half second but thats normal I would say. Please I dont mind if its choppy because I ever used it anyways, the middle mouse button that is.

And I used the free version of Opera with the ads and its only a 6mb usage.

Back