• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Interesting Issue...

jeoff_b

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
133
Hey, not sure if this is the right area to post this in, but I have a strange issue to see if you guys could help with.

So occasionally throughout the day, with random things, sometimes I'm playing a game, other times I'm simply web browsing and my computer will crash and give me weird lines across my screen. The computer is still running as far as I can tell (the fans and dvd roms still seem to be running), but I can't seem to do anything. I have had this issue for a while, but the place I keep taking it to continues to tell me that it is a software issue and that a simple reformat and reinstalling the software will fix all my issues. Of course I've reformatted multiple times, with several different o/s (including a few types of Linux) to no avail. Now when it crashes and I check the stability report, all I get is "Windows has unexpectedly shut down" and I found a program that is supposed to help me read the minidump, but it says there is nothing in there (it's a fairly new reformat, so I would hope there wouldn't be anything).

Here's my computer:

EP45-UD3L
Intel Q8400 (with a coolmaster V8 cooling it)
4 Gigs Corsair CM2X1024 6400AC
OCZ 700W PSU
Radeon HD 5770
1 Seagate 1TB
1 Seagate 500GB
1 Seagate (I think) 250GB

I have lots of airflow and the temps rarely get over 30C. My 5770 does however get quite hot... I've had it get to temps above 100 while testing...

Anyways I've got some programs that control the fan on my graphics card, so that shouldn't be an issue and everything else is fine when I put it through testing.

Basically I can't seem to find anything wrong with the hardware or the software, yet I continue to crash... Any Ideas?
 
Alright, so a bit of update, hopefully someone might have experienced something similar. Was just playing MW2 and all of the sudden this happens.

p1050418r.jpg


So I ran the program whocrashed to see what the minidump says, got this:

whocrashed.jpg


When I check my reliability history, there isn't anything there... Not even something saying windows shut down unexpectedly... Any ideas from anyone?
 
The only issue with the video card thing is I had a radeon hd 4650 before that was doing the same thing. Maybe ATI hates me:( . Anyways I bought the 5770 thinking it would fix this issue, but so far it actually might have made it worse...

I just inherited a new mobo, so I'm reinstalling windows 7 right now and I'll see if the issue continues tomorrow.
 
Alright, so I reformatted and kept getting BSOD's throughout the process. Stripped the system down to the bare minimum and it finally installed. Now I'm getting explorer.exe crashing randomly.. So I decided to reformat again, I've installed my friends 3870 to see if I can get it to work properly. Will post again if I can get it to work properly.
 
Sounds like you have some major hardware issues there! If it's not centralized to your video card and you inherited a new mobo then the only thing left is the HD. When you did a format on it did you format through Windows 7? If so, I think Win7 only does quick formats which is no help at fixing disc problems. Maybe you should try to do a full format via a different OS (I'm unsure if that's possible in WIn7 setup) in order for it to correct any disc issues that may be underlying. Either that or try another hard drive?? Just my thoughts...
 
Yea so I ended up putting in an old 80 gig HD I had sitting around and it seems to have installed fine. I got all my drivers installed (except it keeps telling me that my video card isn't installed and sends me to the ati site to download the 32bit drivers, even though I'm running 64bit). I just tried some mw2, which seems to always crash my computer after some amount of time, and sure enough the same funky lines showed up once again. This time though it gave me a BSOD and I managed to see it say it was a win32.sys error before the video shut off. Could this still have to do with my video card? I'm getting temperatures around 95 even with MSI Kombustor maxxing my fan out.

btw, I'm just about to google search what could be causing that error and hopefully I can find something. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
 
Ive seen that EXACT same screen before. It will get worse, and when it gets to making a checkerboard pattern youre pretty much screwed. I would be willing to bet its your video card. My GPU wasnt making good contact with the heatsink and thats what I was seeing.

I ended up removing the GPU, removing the heatsink, putting a small, very small, ( did I mention not a lot??) of arctic silver on it AFTER I cleaned the factory stuff off. I also rigged up an old fan from a cpu heatsink to blow air across the vid card also. Tightened everything back up and it ran like that for quite a while no probs at all.
 
Sounds like you have some major hardware issues there! If it's not centralized to your video card and you inherited a new mobo then the only thing left is the HD. ...

I may have missed it, but what about the RAM? :confused: If you havent tested the RAM, run memtest overnight and report results.

Could also be the PSU. However, from the SS, I agree, it looks like the GPU.
 
Thanks Jay, good to know I'm not the only one out there that have had these issues. I looked at the minidump and keep seeing some kind of atisomethingoranother.exe errors so I'm pretty sure it has to do with the video card. Does taking it apart like that void the warranty? I have 3 years IPR through the place I bought it so I'll probably just bring it in and get them to give me a new one (if not for that, then for the 90-100 degree temps I've been getting). Thanks for the help, I'll post (hopefully with good news) after I've gotten this card exchanged or fixed.

Oh and enginurd, yea, I have run several hours (enough to make a pass and a half or so) of memtest86 and it came up with no errors. I have 8 gigs of ram now, so it takes a while to test all of that...
 
So I just thought I would post one last comment. I swapped my 5770 out for a 3850 and went down to 2 gigs of ram and it is now the most stable I have ever seen it. Now to get my 5770 replaced as gaming with my settings at medium is definitely not as good as everything at max... Thanks for the help all.
 
Back
Top