Interest in Seasonic modular, fanless/semi-fanless SFX PSU? are you buying NCASE y/n?

Interest in Seasonic modular, fanless/semi-fanless SFX PSU? are you buying NCASE y/n?

• I intend to buy NCASE M1 and I would buy a high end Seasonic SFX

Votes: 132 62.3%
  • I intend to buy NCASE M1, but I would NOT buy a Seasonic SFX

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I do not plan to buy NCASE M1, but I love SFF and would buy a high end Seasonic SFX

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • I use SFF, but neither Seasonic SFX or NCASE M1 interest me

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
...at least it shows it's possible to do in a small form factor...
That's what I'm thinking, there is an obstacle of will, not an obstacle of physics.

Those Seasonic TFX specs might've been great in SFX a couple of years ago, but 300W-350W sort of looks like a spec stuck in no man's land. It's short of the requirements for a mid-high end gaming system, but quite a bit more than a basic desktop needs. I think that with Intel's improved efficiency, 'proper' desktop systems can idle so low the usual ATX PSUs are way outside of their peak efficiency for most of the time, and we now only require ~150W for sustained maximum loading. picoPSU + an external brick can claw back some efficiency, but I wish there was a little more headroom for total confidence with sustained loads of long periods.

SFX PSUs are one of the the biggest barriers to making the kind of SFF build that I could be totally satisfied with.

I share this view.

We have no relationship with IanM. It's still just the two of us (with some help from M4rk setting up the IGG campaign). Neither of us was contacted regarding this poll prior to its posting.

We want to see the SFF market grow. To do so, it will take more than us, LL and SS. We very much support other members trying to make SFF market better.

However Seasonic appear to have dismissed SFX, at least in the 'enthusiast' class, as a niche they aren't interested in.

If you partner with another PSU OEM and show signs of success, Seasonic might reevaluate their decision (why allow a competitor to lead in a new product) ;)

Last edited:
Would Silverstone consider a limited edition run of their SFX Power supply units with an alternative fan? If so, how would a warranty work? Would a limited edition power supply just be replaced with just the ST45SF-G (Current revision) and would people be okay with that.

I can't answer about the warranty obviously, but on the technical side I can say this. The fan inside the ST45SF-G has a 2-pin connector to the PCB. The 2-pin connector is a standard Molex type. There also exist several fans which fit the voltage and amperage profile of the standard fan. Although I don't know how the production of the ST45SF-G is carried out in detail, I imagine this means that Silverstone factory can probably just load a set of alternative fans into the delivery hopper for a short run of custom units, and then continue the fabrication of the PSU as normal.

Given that the ST45SF-G has, from day 1, a poor reputation amongst enthusiasts about the "loud fan". It might be interesting to have a collaboration with, say, Noiseblocker to make a custom limited version of the PSU with, say, the PC-P fan, even at inflated cost. This would enable Silverstone to shake off the "loud fan" label and further cement the superiority of the ST45SF-G as the SFX power supply of choice for high end mITX systems.

From A Source:

High efficiency is possible, but need various techniques from fanless designs (heatsinking mosfets) and aggressive cooling to achieve 80+ Gold or Platinum.

It's easier to shrink existing designs than a new design. Such dense designs are better with side fans, or even a misaligned push-pull, than a top fan. Increasing the depth from SFX allows for more space for components - the devil is in the details.

KWTFZ6Ul.png

If you want durability (5+ years of 24/7 80+% load), it could cost > $150 per unit. Need over-sized parts (several times greater amperage than needed) and heat-resistant PCB (CEM-3, CEM-5 preferred) and caps (polymers; NCC/Nichi/Pana/Ruby "wets").

An existing platform like Aurum used in NZXT & Hale90 V2 might work. Redesigning the PCB, heat sinks and component placing, then checking thermals. If plausible, maybe 30-50 engineering hours.

there is an obstacle of will, not an obstacle of physics.

A high quality SFX with 600W+ will cannibalize ATX sales, there might be politics in the way.

A high quality SFX with 600W+ will cannibalize ATX sales, there might be politics in the way.
How so? Most of the BIY computer world is still filled with folks that buy absolutely hideous, giant ATX systems. SFX PSU's, no matter how good, or cheap, will be seen as inferior in power and quality, if for no other reason than their size.

Seasonic could make a 650W, 80+ Gold, semi-fanless SFX PSU and sell it for $50 and it would never make a dent in their overall sales solely because it wouldn't be a bolt in in 99%+ of cases.

If you want durability (5+ years of 24/7 80+% load), it could cost > $150 per unit.

Very cool, thanks for that!

I would be all over the 2nd one with 120mm fan.

5 years at those loads seems overkill (not necessarily a bad thing, just saying). If Intel sticks to their current roadmap, in 5 years CPUs will be using 18 watts anyway hehe

What are you guys using in an SFX case that needs 600 watts??

How so?

Seasonic could make a 650W, 80+ Gold, semi-fanless SFX PSU and sell it for $50 and it would never make a dent in their overall sales solely because it wouldn't be a bolt in in 99%+ of cases.

I wasn't talking about Seasonic specifically, it was a general statement.

BTW...
Corsair is a big customer for PSU OEMs. Corsair is interested in SFF and these types of new R&D products comes with exclusives agreements - not sure how that will affect things.

I am not supposed to say anything right now on this (so please don't ask), but hopefully we'll see an open box post from you in a few months. ;)

Tony I just wanted to say your awesome. Nice to have a good rep from a good company that will actually listen to a niche (although it's becoming less so every year thanks to companies like yours) audience. Only reason I didn't jump on the 450W SFX unit is because of the noise factor so can't wait to see what's coming next!

Would an additional slim 50mm fan fit into an SFX PSU? It could assist the main fan, taking off some of the load so it wouldn't have to run so hard.

Would an additional slim 50mm fan fit into an SFX PSU? It could assist the main fan, taking off some of the load so it wouldn't have to run so hard.

The two 450W SFX units that currently exist are almost completely full. I've had both of them open and they are really packed. Maybe on the bronze ST45SF, behind the wires bundle you could put a 40x10mm fan, but I don't know if it would be useful there.

jonnyGURU is great for detailed PSU reviews with plenty of photos of the internals, check out the photos on this page of the ST45SF-G review. You can see just how densely packed it is.

Interesting that he doesn't mention the fan noise at all. It's even getting extra points for performing well in the hot box test, which I'm sure my modded unit with quieter but slower fan would not do so well in :)

What are you guys using in an SFX case that needs 600 watts??

You need a lot of backers to bring this product to market.

A 600W+ SFX can be useful to a greater audience (mATX, ATX crowd), so you can get more backers for the project.

Interesting that he doesn't mention the fan noise at all. It's even getting extra points for performing well in the hot box test, which I'm sure my modded unit with quieter but slower fan would not do so well in :)

Well based on this qoute:

"Now, bear with me. I have only these pictures to go on... the unit itself is not in front of me. Yeah, I know I've been making out like I'm actually in Tazz' house right now, but that's just me being a loon. I'm really up in Saskatchewan, dissecting this unit from afar using pictures he's provided me."

It almost seems if the writer was given the already taken test data and photos and slapped together the review without actually having the unit on hand. If so that could explain the lack of any comments on noise or the fan. Then again, I could be completely off the mark.

Wow, I am pretty sad to see a poll like this exist. We busted our asses making the best SFX PSU ever created with the ST45SF-G and we are not even being considered at all... We know that ST45SF-G isn't perfect for everyone, but it (and to some degrees the ST45SF) still far exceeded any effort put forth by other PSU makers.

Tony, don't feel bad that poll like this exists, but rather, you guys should strive to make a better product. Just because your product is better than the competition doesn't mean you should just rest on your laurels. Make a premium 450-500W SFX PSU, and watch the enthusiasts come in droves. [H] just did their own review of the ST45SF-G, and it got a Silver Award.

Here's the kicker though:
Editor's Note said:
Obviously awards are subjective. If this were an ATX form factor PSU, we would not consider it for an award, although the unit still very much passes ATX specifications noted by the "Pass" badge below. If this were a 450w PSU priced at $93.99 we would not consider it for an award from the value perspective as you can purchase better performing 450w power supplies for less money. But SilverStone has shoehorned a lot of quality and a lot of power into a very SFX small footprint and folks looking to build a high performance SFF PC will find a value in the SilverStone ST45SF-G.

So while it did get a Silver Award, it's definitely not up to par with ATX PSUs. This is why this polls exists. Because let's face it, it could be better. Kyle and Brent seem to be letting it slide because of the small form factor and price, but honestly, make an enthusiast level SFX PSU that does 500W, charge ~$150 for it and people will buy it.

Hell, I'd easily pay $150 for a platinum (or higher) efficiency SFX psu with a good fan (a la Noiseblocker). Quality parts are worth good money :)

Still don't get why so many people are asking for higher wattage. I understand the theory is that it would broaden the appeal to more buyers, those with mATX and up, but would those users realistically care to pay more to lose an inch or 2 on their PSU when there are probably a hundred cheaper and better choices out there that don't have to make as many design compromises and fit their cases just fine? High end gold and platinum units with 600+ watts have been on sale recently for as low as 80-90$.

I say this with love but only nuts like us would pay a premium just to reduce our case sizes by an inch here and half an inch there. The specs on this silverstone unit seem to be perfect for almost all of us, aside from the noise level. I was actually relieved to find many others complaining about noise levels because it meant it would hopefully be addressed and I could buy one. But not enough wattage, who is actually having that problem?

But not enough wattage, who is actually having that problem?

From current GPUs you still wouldn't want to run a 690 on a 450W, especially when overclocking the CPU heavily. But I think previous generation cards are still in use, and people maybe just haven't adjusted yet to the lower draw of current components.

People with big ATX cases are not going to care about SFX PSUs. They already have huge amounts of space and can get quieter, higher wattage PSUs. SFX is just for the SSF market.

Tony, don't feel bad that poll like this exists, but rather, you guys should strive to make a better product. Just because your product is better than the competition doesn't mean you should just rest on your laurels. Make a premium 450-500W SFX PSU, and watch the enthusiasts come in droves.

I feel bad precisely because we haven't rested on our laurels, we released the 80 PLUS Gold ST45SF-G last year even when no one matched our 80 PLUS Bronze ST45SF. Our goal initially for the ST45SF-G was to go for 500W (then it would have been named ST50SF-G instead), but it was impossible with the space constraint and the technology available to us at the time (also at a price point that was reasonable). Of course we could have continued developing it or waited until we could achieve 500W, but then without any new SFX PSUs on the market now, you guys would probably say we are resting on our laurels, right?

PSUs take a long time to develop (1 year on average or more depending on complexity) and we haven't stopped working on the next SFX PSUs since the release of ST45SF-G!

Besides going higher in wattage, we have a lot planned for SFX in the coming years. Just as there are Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX motherboards to the full ATX, we believe SFX will be an important retail PSU form factor next to ATX PSUs. I've actually talked to product managers from our competitors during tradeshows and urged them to join us in making more SFX PSUs since last year. So I hope you can understand why I was disappointed this poll excluded SilverStone, a company with intense interest in SFF computing (our Sugo cases and HTPCs are proof of that) and pretty much was the only one interested in developing SFX into retail PSUs.

I hope you can understand why I was disappointed this poll excluded SilverStone ...

Yes, but please remember that anyone can post a poll. Just because one guy thinks Seasonic would make a better SFX unit than Silverstone, doesn't mean everyone believes this.

The one thing I keep seeing is that people didn't or don't want to buy the ST45SF-G because they've heard about the "loud" fan noise. Whether they've heard it themselves or not. I don't know if you've done market research about this, but it would be interesting to hear from you whether a low noise SFX solution is a high priority for Silverstone.

Tony, feel free to step up and offer to work with the community on this project if you feel you're being left out. I personally would love for Seasonic to enter the SFX market as they OEM a lot of other companies PSUs which would bring SFX to the masses.

I feel bad precisely because we haven't rested on our laurels, we released the 80 PLUS Gold ST45SF-G last year even when no one matched our 80 PLUS Bronze ST45SF. Our goal initially for the ST45SF-G was to go for 500W (then it would have been named ST50SF-G instead), but it was impossible with the space constraint and the technology available to us at the time (also at a price point that was reasonable). Of course we could have continued developing it or waited until we could achieve 500W, but then without any new SFX PSUs on the market now, you guys would probably say we are resting on our laurels, right?

PSUs take a long time to develop (1 year on average or more depending on complexity) and we haven't stopped working on the next SFX PSUs since the release of ST45SF-G!

Besides going higher in wattage, we have a lot planned for SFX in the coming years. Just as there are Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX motherboards to the full ATX, we believe SFX will be an important retail PSU form factor next to ATX PSUs. I've actually talked to product managers from our competitors during tradeshows and urged them to join us in making more SFX PSUs since last year. So I hope you can understand why I was disappointed this poll excluded SilverStone, a company with intense interest in SFF computing (our Sugo cases and HTPCs are proof of that) and pretty much was the only one interested in developing SFX into retail PSUs.

Tony, it's good to know you guys aren't resting on your laurels. I didn't even realize there was an 80 Bronze version prior to the Gold, and that's my fault. Moreover, it's good to hear that you guys are pushing yourselves, even trying to get out a 500W version.

I will say that, I believe the poll (and thread) mentions Seasonic is partly because of your track record of reviews at [H]. I'm not saying that you guys make an inferior products, nor am I saying that [H] is biased against you, I'm just stating the fact that in all your PSU reviews from [H], only 1 has seemed to get a Gold Award, and that was back in 2007. Since then, every PSU made by Silverstone has consistently received a Silver Award, while Seasonic's usually get Gold.

It may come down to the manufacturer of your PSUs (Enhance Electronics) not having as tight specs or QC versus Seasonic. I know in the latest review of the ST45SF-G from [H], Kyle and Brent mentioned that the PSU didn't technically make the 80 Plus Gold rating, and DC output rating and voltage regulation were just "good" and not "very good" or "excellent".

Anyway, this is by no means a "knock" on Silverstone, and in the SFX space, you guys have the best product out right now. And while it's a much smaller customer base than ATX PSUs, it would be awesome to have a 450-500W SFX PSU that can truly compete with ATX PSUs. Your build quality is already top notch, but your load testing, DC output quality, noise, and voltage regulation can still be better. And as I, and others have mentioned, the enthusiast market is very willing to pay for quality. If Nvidia can sell a $1,000 Titan (and you see people here with Titan SLI), I want a PSU that can run a Titan video card in a SSF chassis without any hiccups.

Finally, your presence here on the forums is honestly what makes your company that much better. Just by reading, participating, and interacting with your customer base shows that you guys actually care and are willing to reach out. I haven't seen a Seasonic rep posting here on [H] yet ;)

Wow, I am pretty sad to see a poll like this exist. We busted our asses making the best SFX PSU ever created with the ST45SF-G and we are not even being considered at all... We know that ST45SF-G isn't perfect for everyone, but it (and to some degrees the ST45SF) still far exceeded any effort put forth by other PSU makers.

Tony is the G quieter, louder, or the same as the older model?

Hi Tony, just wondering if Silverstone has experimented with producing anything similar to the PicoPSU? I'd love to have something similar to the PSU on the Alienware X51 in the ~350 watt range so that we could fit something like the new Asus Directcu Mini and an i5 into a truly small case. If you've got time, you might read the thread here in the SFF forum about the M3A2 case.

G quieter, louder, or the same as the older model?
various user comments on this forum and others say that the modular, gold model is noticeably louder than the old, hence a number of users are swapping the fan. I'd like to see the efficiency figures on a fan modded unit, I wonder if there is a significant trade off for the peace and quiet?

similar to the PSU on the Alienware X51 in the ~350 watt range
That Dell (FSP Fortron?) PSU is 330W, really pushing the limit for GTX 670?

External PSUs aren't new, I've had a few thoughts in the back of my mind about this (a discussion that needs its' own thread really) but there are some alternatives already to picoPSU. Abee offer an FSP adapter mounted to an SFX bracket, they recently upgraded it to 150w which may ideal for i3/i5S CPUs with no graphics card (and ODD limited to USB only.) I haven't seen it in the USA or EU yet, and I assume Abee are making the SFX bracket themselves.

>200W AC adapters tend to be 19V or higher. Is a 19v AC adapter efficient vs a 12V AC adapter? i.e. 110v (or 230v) -> 19v -> 12v vs 110v (or 230v) -> 12v. If the latter is more efficient, 12V AC adapters tend to only be available in 150W fanless, 180W-220W with fan.

Is either more efficient at high wattage vs an ATX or SFX unit? If there is an efficiency penalty, is the space saving in the case worth it? you still have to put the external brick somewhere!

External power supplies for ~600W desktop have been available in the past e.g. Nesteq Nova around 6 years ago, massively expensive and iirc Seasonic S12 made the external system look almost worthless (Seasonic more convenient, quieter, more efficient, better electrical performance, less than 2/3rd the price.) I'm sure there is merit in designing an external PSU to rival contemporary ATX in terms of performance, but I'm guessing there will be a $50-$150 premium on the unit cost. Would there be many buyers?

Last edited:
If Nvidia can sell a $1,000 Titan (and you see people here with Titan SLI), I want a PSU that can run a Titan video card in a SSF chassis without any hiccups.

Xinux is running a Titan with Silverstone's ST45SF-G, according to his posts in the "[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!" thread.

I will be doing the same this weekend (I hope).

Xinux is running a Titan with Silverstone's ST45SF-G, according to his posts in the "[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!" thread.

I will be doing the same this weekend (I hope).

I am too. But when you fully load the CPU and GPU with OCCT and Furmark, you're pushing the PSU pretty hard. I did it a few weeks ago, but I forget the numbers I was pulling from the AC side. I'll have to check again when I have time.

various user comments on this forum and others say that the modular, gold model is noticeably louder than the old, hence a number of users are swapping the fan. I'd like to see the efficiency figures on a fan modded unit, I wonder if there is a significant trade off for the peace and quiet?

That Dell (FSP Fortron?) PSU is 330W, really pushing the limit for GTX 670?

External PSUs aren't new, I've had a few thoughts in the back of my mind about this (a discussion that needs its' own thread really) but there are some alternatives already to picoPSU. Abee offer an FSP adapter mounted to an SFX bracket, they recently upgraded it to 150w which may ideal for i3/i5S CPUs with no graphics card (and ODD limited to USB only.) I haven't seen it in the USA or EU yet, and I assume Abee are making the SFX bracket themselves.

>200W AC adapters tend to be 19V or higher. Is a 19v AC adapter efficient vs a 12V AC adapter? i.e. 110v (or 230v) -> 19v -> 12v vs 110v (or 230v) -> 12v. If the latter is more efficient, 12V AC adapters tend to only be available in 150W fanless, 180W-220W with fan.

Is either more efficient at high wattage vs an ATX or SFX unit? If there is an efficiency penalty, is the space saving in the case worth it? you still have to put the external brick somewhere!

External power supplies for ~600W desktop have been available in the past e.g. Nesteq Nova around 6 years ago, massively expensive and iirc Seasonic S12 made the external system look almost worthless (Seasonic more convenient, quieter, more efficient, better electrical performance, less than 2/3rd the price.) I'm sure there is merit in designing an external PSU to rival contemporary ATX in terms of performance, but I'm guessing there will be a $50-$150 premium on the unit cost. Would there be many buyers?

My main reasons for wanting something like this are to minimize the actual case footprint, and remove as much heat from the case as possible. The ideal case for me would have room for a Mini ITX motherboard, a 17cm GPU parallel to the motherboard, and a single 2.5" HD. While SFX PSUs are small, they would increase the minimum size of a case like this quite a bit. This probably should be it's own thread though.

Are you asking if a unit with a different fan is less efficient electrically? No, it might just get too hot, depending on ambient temp and how much dust in it. Therefore have a shorter life or possibility to fail. So, the question becomes: will the ST45SF-G run hotter with PC-P than with the standard fan?

In the Silverstone Modular 450W SFX (ST45SF-G) we discussed the fan profiles extensively. Tony Ou posted a graph which might make it clearer.

Fan%20speed%20curve%20comparison%20with%20ST45SF-G%20&%20ST45SF.jpg

This doesn't tell us about airflow or temperatures directly, and we don't have any graph of these fans when attached inside the PSU. We can however compare unrestricted airflow at 12V

Stock fan: Young Lin DFB801512H
Static Pressure: 2.38mmH2O
Airflow: 30 CFM
Noise at 12V: 34.6 dBA
RPM's at 12V: 3000

Noiseblocker PC-P
Static Pressure: 1.89mmH2O
Airflow: 30.6 CFM
Noise at 12V: 25.8 dBA
RPM's at 12V: 2500

So at full load the Noiseblocker fan will theoretically produce just as much airflow, but because it generates less pressure it probably will struggle to reach that figure. Obviously this isn't the scientific test we need to just how effective the fan swap is, the numbers are close enough that in normal ambient conditions, the PSU will still run cooler than the worst-case conditions that Silverstone test for in their QA dept.

If anyone knows Johnnyguru, I'll provide my modded unit for the same test.

Are you asking if a unit with a different fan is less efficient electrically?
More precisely: does a hot or very hot PSU lose efficiency vs itself running cool?

johnnyGURU's testing of hot vs cold tends not to show much variation for any of the PSUs recently tested although I did wonder if the temperature increase for the 'hot' test is enough to make a difference, but perhaps the temperature relationship just isn't significant for any properly designed, high quality, contemporary PSU.

More precisely: does a hot or very hot PSU lose efficiency vs itself running cool?

There's no easy answer for that. Each component in a PSU will have a different ideal temperature in terms of efficiency. But in general consumer PSU are designed to be most efficient at 25C ambient. Why? Because this is the temperature that 80Plus does their ratings evaluation. Manufacturers also know that review sites like ChipHell and JohnnyGuru are going to test them hotter than that, so there will be enough leeway built in to reach the advertised efficiency curve.

If Machupo is willing to lend his modded unit to JohnnyGuru then it would indeed be interesting to see whether the efficiency curve is affected by the higher internal temperature at lower loads. I don't think it will be significant, but there's a nagging doubt in my mind: the Silverstone engineers made the choice of fan for a reason. I don't believe they just picked whatever was cheapest and threw it in.

@Tony Ou: the problem, Toni, is that your products are (almost) never excellent. They are plain good, or mediocre. I have no idea how is it possible to release a newer psu, that is better in all regards... but is noisier AT IDLE. Seriously, we want quiet things at idle... and most people won't care if the psu is very noisy at full load. Seasonic releases products that are terribly expensive... but they do the things right, and thus you pay them fully knowing well how they will perform.

The solution, also, is terribly simple. You know well that there aren't any good SFX psu's out there... and the ones there are are expensive enough to warrant that the people who buy them are more or less enthusiasts. Do you know how many people would complain if you charged, lets say, $10 extra to have a top of the line fan in there and have a low noise @ idle? ALL OF US. Heck, I know that your Gold psu is the only SFX one to consider... but It bothers me to have to mod it as soon as It gets here to change the fan and thus void the warranty.

It's like some of your cases... that are botched with design mistakes that could have been avoided simply by trying to build a computer inside, or tinker with it for a few days. And I kid you not, Silverstone has released legendary cases, and still does to this day... but you can't simply release half-assed produts such as the FT03 (a fantastic case, with a terrible implementation), and then get angry when potential customers get together to find solutions to their problems: if anything, you should try to use this forum for data-mining purposes because I believe this is the best SFF community in the english-spoken world...

You have free feedback in here, you know what we want and what we like, and you know that our pockets are deep enough to handle cash when things are good. What stops you from releasing buy-worthy products?

Tony is the G quieter, louder, or the same as the older model?

At idle, the G is louder, and if the system is kinda power hungry, it will be more silent at load.

I am too. But when you fully load the CPU and GPU with OCCT and Furmark, you're pushing the PSU pretty hard. I did it a few weeks ago, but I forget the numbers I was pulling from the AC side. I'll have to check again when I have time.

It makes me wonder why would anybody run OCCT + Furmark at once, seriously. Are you trying to kill something in your rig buy running programs that were never intended, as they make the computer operate in a very extreme fashion?

It makes me wonder why would anybody run OCCT + Furmark at once, seriously. Are you trying to kill something in your rig buy running programs that were never intended, as they make the computer operate in a very extreme fashion?

It's not as unusual as you think. There are thousands of people who run folding@home, a distributed medical research program, which loads both CPU and GPU as much as prime95+furmark, and they run it 24/7, 365 days per year. This forum happens to have one of the largest groups of such users, the [H]ardOCP folding group has the highest number of points currently.

I know it's not a real world test case for normal use. It's for extreme testing, to know if it could handle it. Seriously... I think that is a pretty given logical conclusion.

It's like not testing the RPM limiter on your $60K sports car :p

It's not as unusual as you think. There are thousands of people who run folding@home, a distributed medical research program, which loads both CPU and GPU as much as prime95+furmark, and they run it 24/7, 365 days per year. This forum happens to have one of the largest groups of such users, the [H]ardOCP folding group has the highest number of points currently.

As far as I know folding doesn't load as much as furmark + occt does...

I know it's not a real world test case for normal use. It's for extreme testing, to know if it could handle it. Seriously... I think that is a pretty given logical conclusion.

It's like not testing the RPM limiter on your $60K sports car :p

Its a totally different scenario. Furmark and OCCT, as well as any other benchmark used for stability testing, load the computer in an artificial way, because there is no chance to load them as much with real world usage. We use such software specifically to find out whether the OC is stable or not, not to know an unreal power consumption from the computer and, obviously, we run them separated...

Back