Intel's Layoff Letter To Employees

"I believe in a strict meritocracy, I don't even see race! But if your merits are attached to a name that is associated with a specific race, I will judge your merits as less! This is all entirely logically consistent!"

You skim through the best ones, and yet its possible that you can pass over someone named Bubba Cletus Jebediah Berdeux
When you pass over someone based on their name, rather than credentials, you are being name-ist.

When you pass over someone based on their race, rather than credentials, you are being racist.

Neither is acceptable.

"I believe in a strict meritocracy[...]
This is the curious part. He drones on and on about how the hiring process is (or should be) 100% meritocratic, and yet doesn't seem to have any issue with judging people by their name even when the resumes are explicitly identical.

It's such an absurdly obvious contradiction.

Are you seriously serious, or are you seriously fake-outraged? ;) Job openings typically have far more applications than you would call back for. If you have only one spot and get 35 resumes sent to you, we certainly don't call every single person to tell them they aren't one of the people we'd like to bring in for an interview. You skim through the best ones, and yet its possible that you can pass over someone named Bubba Cletus Jebediah Berdeux over Max Power.

So it's not always about some measure of objective merit. Fascinating.

So it's not always about some measure of objective merit. Fascinating.
Whats more fascinating is how you only seem to care about even the slightest hint of potential bias, one that could apply to any race, if you think it can be applied to black individuals. On a scale of 1-10, how outraged are you by blatant institutional racism that is out in the open like the below that you glossed over:
Ducman69 said:
BTW, I noticed you are somehow NOT outraged at less subjective and more blatant racism, holding applicants to a different standard based on their race which is provided (and not guessed on a resume). Absolutely zero outrage that two kids can apply to a school, and one kid has to hit a 1460 on his SAT score because he's Asian to get accepted, while a black applicant on average only had to score 1010, a whopping 450 points lower, all else equal.

Are you seriously that selectively outraged? I thought so...

lmao if you understood the meaning of institutional racism you'd understand why a 1000 sat scoring black applicant is a bigger deal than a 1500 sat scoring Chinese or Korean (not all Asians, but you don't look at categories so it's probably hard for you to break dozens of ethnic groups from that huge mass of yellow "others" apart).

bigger deal to an admission committee.

Of course, we shouldn't assume that you already know sat and gre scores measure aptitude, likelihood of program completion, and are not intelligence metrics

Speaking of selective outrage, while you flipped your lid over Dylann Roof, a lone individual as all the proof that is required that white males are evil and racist and deserve to be institutionally disadvantaged, were you as equally outraged and clamoring for change towards the black community because of the actions of Lee Malvo?

18972393138_a94ea43400.jpg

(The bulletproof vest comment is because SJWs and professionally outraged members of the black community talked about his "white privilege" since he was given a vest)
Lee Boyd Malvo bragged about his shooting prowess, taunted investigators and said he shot some victims in the head for horrific effect, according to a newspaper report.

But a middle school student was shot in the back because “there were other school kids around.”

It says he repeatedly likened the shootings to precision military operations, laughingly pointed to body parts where the victims were hit and said he’d do it all again if given the opportunity.

“I wouldn’t change my life a bit,” Malvo told investigators. “I’d do the exact same thing.”

And what were the motives behind this killing spree? Racism.

Muhammad introduced Malvo to the Nation of Islam and spoke to him about race and socioeconomic disparities. “The white man is the devil,” Malvo said, summing up Muhammad’s thinking.
As everyone surely knows, the Nation of Islam is a hate group that basically preaches that white people are the root of all evil in the world. Not that there isn't a KKK equivalent, but the irony is that openly racist white groups are so unbelievably toxic that no politician would touch then with a 10 foot pole and would never take a photo-op with leading KKK members or participate in KKK hosted events. The Nation of Islam however is far too mainstream as evidence of more of a institutional double-standard considering Obama participated in a NoI hosted event and of course his relationship with Jeremiah Wright and so forth:
MichelleFarrakhan.jpg

Can you imagine if George Bush went to a KKK sponsored march and took pics and the ministry he chose was led by a ex-Klansman turned preacher that continued to preach intolerance?

So yes, we do have problems with mainstream institutional racism in this country, only you don't call it that when its directed at white guys that have to "pay for the sins of their fathers". :rolleyes:

Only cares about "racism" against whites

Upset because we only care about actual racism

Oblivious

Upset because we only care about actual racism
Yes, I've already heard that "blacks can't be racist" line many times before... because black people can't hold positions of power or something (well except the highest level of the executive branch of government I guess) :rolleyes:

Sorry, but my definition of racism (and pretty sure the dictionary's) is treating one person differently from another person or making assumptions about them as a person based only on their race.

So a thread about Intel layoffs has now turned to the Nation of Islam. Fascinating. And to make a comparison between those two killers while people are just being buried by the latest one is beyond disgusting.

If they are white you mean. Only if they are white.
Name one instance in which I have advocated for institutional racism against blacks... oops, yeah I didn't think so. I've repeated ad nauseam that all people should be treated as individuals based on their merits and situation. Yet you have the audacity to promote a racist double-standard as need to change the "status quo" and then claim that others hold your racist viewpoint? Talk about projection.

You've repeated ad nauseum that we should do nothing to address the inequality in wealth and opportunity caused by two centuries of slavery under the guise of "equality" while making direct and veiled racist comments.

It's very clear you're just butthurt about anything that addresses institutional and systematic inequity if it means you no longer get to hold on to the advantages afforded to you by it.

Nobody believes you when you say you are advocating for equality when read in the context of what you post. Give me a break.

I will not be posting anymore in this debate. My advice for you is to look around for communities more to your thinking. There is a sister forum that has a spot for politics. I know by reading some of the reactions to all of this is it just re enforces to myself that my strengths that overcome an artificial checkbox on a job application is what will keep me sleeping good at night knowing that I am the winner because of who and what i am.

I think this thread helped some of us learn a bit more about this subject and its side-effects, and wasn't too horribly toxic. Sometimes it's good to get these feelings out. It's pretty obvious that we all want a better future here for everyone, we just have different approaches to it. I kind of liked it.

How much does your company pay :eek: ... when I left Intel in 2002 I received 11 months pay plus my 401K at the time had about 250,000 (which I took also) ... I thought that was a decent payout :confused:
unless you retired, that 401K had to be rolled over or you payed out the nose in taxes for early distribution

Back