Intel’s Flagship 9th-Generation Core i7-9700K May Pack 8 Cores, 16 Threads

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
New rumors suggest that the 9th-generation flagship, the Intel Core i7-9700K, will pack 8 cores and 16 threads. There’s no mention of what process technology the new processors will be utilizing, but it may be an updated version of the current 14nm++ process.

According to the same source, Intel’s next generation Core i5 chips will be packing a 6 core and 12 thread design. Currently, all Intel Core i5 series chips come with 6 cores and 6 threads while the i7 lineup features 6 cores and 12 threads. The Core i3 series on the other hand will be getting multithreading support too, which means we are looking at 4 cores and 8 threads compared to 4 cores and 4 threads that are available on Coffee Lake Core i3 chips right now.

Have fun buying new motherboards again ;)
It's fine. This is a good time for many to wait for consolidation of various technologies into new platforms. I'd like to see PCI-Express 4.0, more (fast) USB 3.1G2, more PCI-Express lanes (and thank you AMD for advancing that!) and DDR5. Perhaps most or all of that will be available in 2019, or 2020 with faster DDR5. That'll be a fine time to retire the 7700K and upgrade the whole box.

Not that I am a fan of Intel's chipset carousel, but I think this is oftentimes just overblown.

Have fun buying new motherboards again ;)
Who the hell cares really? I have never updated a CPU without doing the motherboards. It is a pointless upgrade going from minor jumps which Intel been doing the past 10 years. 8700k and the 9700k which are their first huge jumps in performance. 6700k and hell even 4770k are still good CPUs. The 9700k going to be the first worth while upgrade for me coming from a 4770k. Even if I could drop a 9700k into my current MB I will be missing out on a lot of the new features that really makes the upgrade worth it. You think current AM4 MB going to be relevant in 5 years? Hell no MB manufacturer will even add a bios update that will be required to put in a new AMD CPU into it for old MB.

Last edited:
Wow.

If true, that'd be the fastest Intel ever switched core count.

4 cores in 2 generations

Well 1.5 anyway.

Who

The hell cares really? I have never updated a CPU without doing the motherboards. It is a pointless upgrade going from minor jumps which Intel been doing the past 10 years. 8700k and the 9700k which are their first huge jumps in performance. 6700k and hell even 4770k are still good CPUs. The 9700k going to be the first worth while upgrade for me coming from a 4770k. Even if I could drop a 9700k into my current MB I will be missing out on a lot of the new features that really makes the upgrade worth it. You think current AM4 MB going to be relevant in 5 years? Hell no MB manufacturer will even add a bios update that will be required to put in a new AMD CPU into it for old MB.

am4 till 2020.

I'm still rocking i7 Sandy Bridge, and it's doing a good job. I've been looking at potential upgrades with each new gen, but just haven't seen anything fully warranting buying new hardware. 8 cores and 16 threads does, however, make me very interested in upgrading, and there's a good chance I'll make the move if Intel's next chips meet that target.

going with the 1151-C design i guess. Better power delivery I hear.
Yes, 20? extra power pins that are not disabled like current boards. An ASUS rep talked about this a few months back, if 20 traces would break the bank then I have a bridge to mars.

Considering the reduction in the rate of die shrinks this is just further evidence that Intel could have had more cores in its consumer and hedt chips years ago, but for the prior lack of competition from AMD.

Who

The hell cares really? I have never updated a CPU without doing the motherboards. It is a pointless upgrade going from minor jumps which Intel been doing the past 10 years. 8700k and the 9700k which are their first huge jumps in performance. 6700k and hell even 4770k are still good CPUs. The 9700k going to be the first worth while upgrade for me coming from a 4770k. Even if I could drop a 9700k into my current MB I will be missing out on a lot of the new features that really makes the upgrade worth it. You think current AM4 MB going to be relevant in 5 years? Hell no MB manufacturer will even add a bios update that will be required to put in a new AMD CPU into it for old MB.

Yeah if it was a 3-4 year streak, sure, changing motherboards is a good idea. That said, a current Ryzen build would be interesting to upgrade to Zen2 in Q4 '18/Q1 '19, more cores and more GHz can never hurt. Or, if someone had a cheap R5 1600 and wanted Zen+ early next year, they can too. If they'd gone Intel, nope. New board for you..

Problem I have with this new CPU/socket spec is this is happening next year. We have a month left in this year. People are barely getting 8xxx CPUs at the moment for builds, wouldn't that be wicked if they could simply buy another CPU to upgrade their quad/hex core they have managed to find now? As a consumer, this just screams of 'fuck you'.

Who

This. Never bought a cpu without a mb upgrade and a ram upgrade.. But hell, if you think you can get a modern cpu into my x58 board, do tell :)

ONLY 8 cores? That's cute for the peseant class. The PC Gaming master race has moved onto the ThreadRipper with 16 cores and 32 threads. Anything less and you are just COMMON.

ONLY 8 cores? That's cute for the peseant class. The PC Gaming master race has moved onto the ThreadRipper with 16 cores and 32 threads. Anything less and you are just COMMON.
You realize they have had 8 core CPUs for a while now right? Hell they had an 8 core when I bought my 6 core 5820k......3 years ago.....

They also have their 16 core 32 thread as well. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i9-7960x.html
Or you can go with the 18 and 36 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i9-7980xe.html

On topic, I'm on like a 7 year cycle for upgrades so the amount of advancement calls for a complete overhaul. If you switch to AMD you would have to buy new everything anyway so not sure why getting a new mobo is a big deal. If you upgrade every time they release a new CPU and #1 you're crazy and #2 you aren't getting huge advances in speed or features by doing so.

You realize they have had 8 core CPUs for a while now right? Hell they had an 8 core when I bought my 6 core 5820k......3 years ago.....

They also have their 16 core 32 thread as well. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i9-7960x.html
Or you can go with the 18 and 36 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i9-7980xe.html

On topic, I'm on like a 7 year cycle for upgrades so the amount of advancement calls for a complete overhaul. If you switch to AMD you would have to buy new everything anyway so not sure why getting a new mobo is a big deal. If you upgrade every time they release a new CPU and #1 you're crazy and #2 you aren't getting huge advances in speed or features by doing so.

18 cores costs how much compared to 16core threadripper? Not talking about past chips talking about current chips.

Shhhhhhh, no one wants to hear logic, only the sound of wallets opening.

18 cores costs how much compared to 16core threadripper? Not talking about past chips talking about current chips.
These chips just got released, look are the release date.....and the nomenclature 7980x and 7960x both current chips.
We aren't talking cost, we are talking straight up core like you referred to. Yes we all know intel costs alot more but they have had 8 core CPUs for years is my point. The article is misleading.

Get off my lawn you peasant!

vz822JB.png

Great news. When will games i want to play leverage the power is my question.

On top of that. Where are the games i want to play. Not many at all. :sadface:

Great news. When will games i want to play leverage the power is my question.

On top of that. Where are the games i want to play. Not many at all. :sadface:
Assassin's Creed Origins, any Frostbite title, more and more are doing so.

Funny thing is, as games (have) begun utilizing all cores, you get children screaming "OMG why is the game 'hammering' the CPU?! It's unoptimized trash because it's using the CPU!"

All I know is I'll be on my x99 system for at least the next 4 years...

Yep, gonna rock my 6950x for 5 more years.

I'd still be on my 4790k if I didn't get my 6950x for free last year. Just don't get people who constantly upgrade to the newest chip because somehow their current chip doesn't play their games anymore.......

These are Socket 1161 and for z390/h390/b370 boards right? Does that mean that z370 will have the shortest life of any Intel Chipset?

:edit:
Z not X...jeez...

Last edited:
No clock speeds mentioned so it'll run at a blistering ~3 GHz.

Another couple generations and maybe Intel will be able to compete with Ryzen v1. :)

Last edited:
Not to get the thread on topic or anything, but does anyone have info if this will be a Coffelake Refresh or Icelake?

Who the hell cares really? I have never updated a CPU without doing the motherboards. It is a pointless upgrade going from minor jumps which Intel been doing the past 10 years. 8700k and the 9700k which are their first huge jumps in performance. 6700k and hell even 4770k are still good CPUs. The 9700k going to be the first worth while upgrade for me coming from a 4770k. Even if I could drop a 9700k into my current MB I will be missing out on a lot of the new features that really makes the upgrade worth it. You think current AM4 MB going to be relevant in 5 years? Hell no MB manufacturer will even add a bios update that will be required to put in a new AMD CPU into it for old MB.

1). There are PCIe slots on your motherboard. Just because the feature isn't on your motherboard doesn't mean you can't have it via add-on card. I had SATA3, NVMe, and USB3 on my 8 year old Sabertooth X58.
2). OS licensing is tied to a motherboard. I suppose you can just gray market your way to $15 Windows keys everytime you upgrade, but it's a real expense when you're paying full boat price everytime you switch motherboards.
3). The only major things that are going to change in the next 5 years to make AM4 go away is PCIe 4.0 or DDR5 memory. PCIe 4.0 is probably a minor update if the previous updates were any indication. Also, on the Intel side I know several people that would have bought a CFL chip if Intel allowed them on Z170/Z270 (including myself).
4). Asus still puts out bios updates for old boards. My 990FX Sabertooth got an update that allowed NVMe support via add-on card. There is no way you can make a blanket statement that manufacturers won't add bios updates for new CPU's.

Think smaller budget.

The neighbor kid had about a $600 budget 18 months ago. I convinced him to buy a decent base (Z170 MB, 500GB SSD) and go with the cheapest i3 he could get. On black friday he picked up a 7700k at Microcenter and I helped him flash the bios and upgrade the CPU. Worked out pretty well for him.

I used to upgrade every year just because I could get cheap cpu's through Intel retail edge. Selling the old stuff usually paid for a new board and the discounted cpu. Now I have a real job, and the upgrades are no longer needed.

More cores are nice for the mainstream low of the high end, but it's all about the ipc gains. If there is one area Intel can't afford to fall behind its ipc. Right now it's literally their holy grail for the performance crown and if ZEN 2 manages to catch up, they will be in an extremely bad position. AMD has shown they are willing to deliver chips at what a year ago would have be inconceivable. 16 cores, 32 threads for UNDER 8 hundred dollars? I've already put together 7 1950x systems. One for each me and my son, and 3 for clients that I demo'd my rig out to. Despite the investment in motherboard and DDR4, once people start crunching on these boxes, the costs evaporate instantly.

Now you can put an entire 32 thread box together for 2 grand, which would have been merely the price of 1 cpu from intel had AMD not suplexed the market. I just wish their gpus had a little more to offer at 4k, so i wouldn't have to keep putting 1080ti's in all these amd boxes.

I've really been having a lot of fun running custom water loops for all these kits since you don't get get a Hsf with 1950x. It really makes you put more thought and creativity into your build which i like. People that spend this kind of money really feel they are getting what they pay for when a custom loop shows up with their new 32 core beast. Keep it coming amd, until Intel makes their high count affordable, they'll continue to get all my workstation business.

Back