intelletext. sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
first the side banner, now intelletext. :rolleyes:
It's already been discussed...look before you post.

Kyle's answer has been deal with it or don't...your choice

I suggest you stop whining about a free service...

Really, there's only 2-3 per page anyway, like you even notice on a normal basis.

I don't see it as a big deal...I count what...4 words on the front page right now? and their in dark green on a black background, as well as double underlined...not very conspicuous at all...

now if they were bright orange or red or something like that, I wouldn't be able to stand it. but as it is, I like it better than image ads.
But since it has already been discussed. I'll STFU now.

Hey I don't mind it in the forums. I hardly notice it and I've been a member since 2K1. :eek:

If some people have a problem with it, there are other sites you can go troll....

I am not gonna leave... but I don't like it.
I just noticed that it chose a word in one of my thread titles and I was all, "wtf is this?"
I find it more annoying when it highlights words in important things like titles of threads and ...uh... other stuff.

EDIT
After posting this it appeared in my signature as well. That is funny.

if it was the same color as the regular text, it wouldnt be soo bad. and are you saying im a troll?? im soo sorry i offended you sir grand wizard merlin, i shall leave you to your dwarfs and stones with swords in them.

Trust me, takes alot more than a forum site to upset me. I'm saying it's really not a big deal so I don't see what the problem is. :confused:

Me saying troll was a bit harsh, I apologize.:)

I hadnt even noticed.

The bills do have to be paid however. Should people work for free?

merlin704 said:
Trust me, takes alot more than a forum site to upset me. I'm saying it's really not a big deal so I don't see what the problem is. :confused:

Me saying troll was a bit harsh, I apologize.:)

its alright, i sorta over-reacted. i just dont like the awkward green underlined words. make em white, and i wont care.

I don't see it? I could care less if its implemented as long as its distinguishable from regular links.

edit: nm I see it. It is not that bad.

lol.. wow, I can't believe they did this. What does it bring [H]? Like 0.5 cents every time someones mouse hovers over it? Its so stupid.. it doesn't even link you to products or the best price to a product. It just highlights random key words like brand names. Now, if it was smart enough to find the best price on the web, then link you directly to the product, that would be nice. This just reminds me of visiting a pron site, then recieving random popups all over the place with ads in every spot. Now as I scroll down the page, they pop up as I'm trying to read the text and don't go away until I 'x' them out. :eek: :rolleyes:

Using the word "homosexual" as a derogatory term in your sig is probably not a good idea.
I suggest words such as "lame", or "stupid" or "not cool".

I don't have a problem with the idea, but dark green on black. damn I'm visually impaired folks, it's hard enough to read as it is. don't make something I love even more of a hassle for me. I like [H] because the reverse contrast makes it easier for me to see it for more than 20 minutes before my eyes tire out. These new links frustrate me to all end since I can't see what they say, and if I try to highlight it to red the word I get a pop up box in the way that damn near blinds me for a second.

What about those that paid for lifetime of mayhem? can we have the option to turn it off?

Since the other thread was closed before I could reply with my FEEDBACK...

I have symantec client firewall which has a feature Kyle mentioned in the other thread, the ability to block most ads. I noticed that ads for many of the products I regularly shop for (ie corsair, newegg, etc.) were blocked and so I turned it off.

I view these ads in much the same sense as I would a funny or clever TV commercial. Hell, the ads were half the reason I watched the last Superbowl (lousy Cowboys!) Even some of the more obnoxious flash ads are tolerable, however the "intelli"text ads are plain lame. I like the way the other ads on this site are actually for companies in the "enthusiast niche." "Intelli"text however provides what are IMO extremely generic or irrelevant links.

Example: the word "shopping" was "intelli"texted on a page I was reading earlier, and on hover-over provided an ad for "800florals.com" Highlighting it again linked to "www.discovercard.com"

I am all for [H]ardocp providing income for its operation, employees and expansion, however it would be nice if this could be done without ads for flowers and credit cards. :(

**EDIT** Another example: the word "memory" linked to "www.starwishing.com", a site that apparently allows you to name a star after someone?? Yet another "ad in context" links to "foodsaver.com" AS SEEN ON TV! :rolleyes:

IDEA: Create a page that is just FULL of ads for whoever the hell will buy ad-space. Make it full-screen. Now, allow users to open up this spam-page on the machines we do not actuvely use, and have it refresh every few minutes.

I generally don't like flash ads because they're cpu intensive.
I really don't like intellitext. Just edited my sig so it's now L33t (and hopefully intelli-proof)

Well, I went out and bought a widescreen LCD because of the side banners:D ....I am not sure if another monitor purchase will help with this Intellitxt.

Just a quick ?? regarding Inteletext, Does it dissapear for subscribers? If so, I might subscribe again :eek:

RookieCAF said:
Just a quick ?? regarding Inteletext, Does it dissapear for subscribers? If so, I might subscribe again :eek:
no, it does not disappear when you subscribe -unfortunately.

Just read the other thread...Kyle made a good point:

The only reason this is being done is because of people that block our ads. We lose about 20% of our revenue now days to people blocking ads. I looked into text advertising literally years ago but turned down the money because of my readers.....now I am having to put them on the site....because of my readers. Wish I could get that 2.5 years worth of money back now for being considerate. We are now looking to implement technology to block all images on our site if the ads are blocked. Not because we want to...but because we are now seeing a real economical impact to our bottom line.

So, to you assbags that are blocking ads, thanks.

Kyle, this is taking it a bit far. I find this rather absurd.

I wasn't against intellitext on the main page, I would give in to that one. But the forums? Even in genmay? I am protesting as of now also.

I know the bills need to be paid. There has to be an alternative.

mentok1982 said:
Using the word "homosexual" as a derogatory term in your sig is probably not a good idea.
I suggest words such as "lame", or "stupid" or "not cool".
Who said he meant it ina derogatory way? Maybe it was a compliment :D

ryan_975 said:
I don't have a problem with the idea, but dark green on black. damn I'm visually impaired folks, it's hard enough to read as it is. don't make something I love even more of a hassle for me. I like [H] because the reverse contrast makes it easier for me to see it for more than 20 minutes before my eyes tire out. These new links frustrate me to all end since I can't see what they say, and if I try to highlight it to red the word I get a pop up box in the way that damn near blinds me for a second.
Want cheese with your WHINE? :rolleyes:

I'm not going to complain about the intellitext, but can we PLEASE change the color? It makes the words in here hard to read, and in the consumer section (like the ABS reviews/etc) almost impossible to read, so I have to highlight the entire story to get the words. That's all I want.

I got used to the ad banners, I'll get used to Intellitext. I just hope Kyle doesn't need to add anything else.

EDIT - maybe make the letters a shade of grey/white?

ElektronikSeraph said:
I got used to the ad banners, I'll get used to Intellitext. I just hope Kyle doesn't need to add anything else.

EDIT - maybe make the letters a shade of grey/white, or maybe the dark red that's already in use on the page?

dark red still bad for me. I'm thinking light gray, white. The double underlines would give it away as a intellitext link. Of course this is assuming the color can be changes. I might be a hard coded thing in the software that manages the links.

lopoetve said:
I'm not going to complain about the intellitext, but can we PLEASE change the color? It makes the words in here hard to read, and in the consumer section (like the ABS reviews/etc) almost impossible to read, so I have to highlight the entire story to get the words. That's all I want.

I agree. The intellitext really doesn't bother me THAT much, granted I don't like it but I understand the need for it. However, the dark green on black text does make stuff hard to read. Even an obnoxious yellow or orange that really grabbed the attention would be more tolerable than the dark text on a black background.

Just a suggestion :)

TECHKnight said:
Who said he meant it ina derogatory way? Maybe it was a compliment :D

Want cheese with your WHINE? :rolleyes:

who the hell said I was whining? you can take that cheese and shove it up your ass for all I care.

At least let the subscribers turn it off. I don't block ads. Hell, I frequently use the Newegg ad to hit up newegg. I paid for a lifetime subscription here because I liked the place, and wanted to support it. (Although, since then, GenMay's taken over my life) I understand you need to pay for this place, but why use such an intrusive advertising technique? It's almost as bad as those damned javascript popups.

I don't mind it at all. If it's a problem, then just ignore it. It's pretty obvious, it's the green text. [H] takes a lot of bandwidth, and bandwidth isn't free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back