Intel Xeon L5639 Hexa(6) Core LGA1366 Price:US $79.80 Used Ebay Seller

Sorry not really heat problems... just high enough for the default motherboard fan controler to just push the fans high enough to make noise. I'm all about quiet at the moment ;)

The H90 I have is one 140mm fan.

Don't see the point. Better cooling doesn't equate to more blocks. If you want better cooling you get more radiator area. Even then you can only ever cool to the ambient temp in the room.

Auto is always very... aggressive with voltages. Your cpu is probably running very high volts, causing higher temps. Manual OC is always way better than Auto.

"Stacking" waterblocks? Pointless complexity outside of very extreme situations. One good one with adequate flow rate is all that's needed. Maybe a Peltier or two may help (or hurt depending on radiator/waterblock/pump setup).

ok lets all agree on one thing...what is the highest safe temperature reported by core temp even if it just for a moment while running IBT on max for 5 test.......some of us are running dam close to the red line as is and it be nice to keep it under tj. max for sure,,,but i think most would agree if it can be kept under (??) temps then it lowers the risk of premature damage to the point its hardly a risk.......summer is coming...its only going to get hotter from here on out...we all might have maxed out around 75c today running IBT 10 runs at max but next week when its 10 degrees hotter inside and outside thats going to be hard if not impossible to maintain even for professional water cooling possiblybut i admit King Icewind idea of 200mm custom loop is sounding better and better and probably needed

so here the big question,,,out what temp do we draw the line and start lowering our blck and or voltage to keep our fun from costing buying replacement chips...the old 5639 was only 70 bucks for some people..but i for one spent around 212 on my 5670.......thats going to hurt if i have to buy a second one...it wont kill me by any means,,,but i take pride in taking care of my stuff as well...nor do i want to be using a laptop for a week

TL/DR whats the max safe temp for IBT testing on my 5670?.....my first thought would be 85c tops....but i want others to chime in on this one, cause im really not sure:D and keep in mind core temp might report 10 deg hotter than a different app...lets come up with a number for core temp just to be on the same page

Last edited:
c68772ac-b922-4cf2-b37a-20727d0b3375_zpsaaa7138c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
wouldn't the stock 200mm antec fan be enough air flow blowing threw a 200mm top mounted rad....or is the general though another fan would have to be added on top the rad sitting on top of the case for a push pull type config;

looking back into the water cooling option.....just for the possibility's....would this be a complete list of what needed to do this project?
500x1000px-LL-0c575553_NCM_0139_zpsc5b7e080.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

seems like his radiator has side brackets that would hold it to the top of the case just above the built in 200mm fan....i have yet to find those brackets so far...course that be just a minor thing likely.... would this be the total cost of parts are would i be missing anything? possibly one of you who has experience with this can take a look and update the number of items needed and add anything i probably didn't know to add

Last edited:
Yes that's everything you need for the components. Since you won't have any room for any silver get this algaecide. You'll definitely need a funnel too.

Also, 15 feet of tubing is way more than you need. Like 7 feet would for any accidental miscuts would leave you with extra. You only have to travel from the CPU to the top of the case twice, plus like 6-8 inches off the T. You'll only need 4 barbs. If you want to clamp all three points of the T you'll need 2 more (total of 7).

There is a reservoir on the pump/block by the way. I originally listed the T fitting/plug because the res on the block looks like a pain in the butt to fill, and to see how much is in it. When you do install it all, I'd fill up the res on the block too before you start it along with the T. After that you should be good. Just keep feeding it the distilled water until you have extra in the T. It will probably be easier to get air out if you lay it down.

Yes that's everything you need for the components. Since you won't have any room for any silver get this algaecide. You'll definitely need a funnel too.

Also, 15 feet of tubing is way more than you need. Like 7 feet would for any accidental miscuts would leave you with extra. You only have to travel from the CPU to the top of the case twice, plus like 6-8 inches off the T. You'll only need 4 barbs. If you want to clamp all three points of the T you'll need 2 more (total of 7).

There is a reservoir on the pump/block by the way. I originally listed the T fitting/plug because the res on the block looks like a pain in the butt to fill, and to see how much is in it. When you do install it all, I'd fill up the res on the block too before you start it along with the T. After that you should be good. Just keep feeding it the distilled water until you have extra in the T. It will probably be easier to get air out if you lay it down.

Capture_zps89eec6db.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

let me know if you see any more changes...if it works out well i could do something simulare for a video card one day...but about the length of tubing...ill just take a cable or spare small hose and form it into place before ordering...the multiply it by 2 and give it one more foot before ordering....better to cut 1 foot off than be 2 inches short

edit: Zoson mentioned better to use metal barbs? which ones?

Last edited:
Those bitspower barbs are fine.
You will need 8 clamps.
2 for radiator.
3 for T splitter.
1 for Fillport
2 for cpu.

The fans just screw into the radiator plate. fan -> rad -> casewall -> fan
No idea if that antec 200mm has been tested, but you always get better performance with two fans.

I've never used a clamp for the fillport since it's always pointing up, and never totally full. I don't even really use the fill portion of the port, I just completely take the fillport out. Funnel fits easier in just the tubing. But it's 99 cents so might as well.

Only need 4 barbs not 7 :)

I've never used a clamp for the fillport since it's always pointing up, and never totally full. I don't even really use the fill portion of the port, I just completely take the fillport out. Funnel fits easier in just the tubing. But it's 99 cents so might as well.

Only need 4 barbs not 7 :)

alright yall are teaching me a lot of good stuff....im gonna guess the t-spliter doesn't need barbs, only clamps,,,,and the 4 barbs are used 2 on the rad and 2 on the pump....but all hose connections need clamps....think im starting to get it:D..And Zoson is right ...may as well get a 200 mm fan to go with it...least i will already have the cleaner and past lol

did you guys happen to see a fan that would look well with the rad..let me know

Last edited:
Well, I can get my x58 EVGA to boot with the L5639 ...

... but apparently it doesn't like Registered ECC.

Any suggestions on a motherboard that will work with the L5639 and Registered ECC, on the cheap? I'm about to just sell everything and start over with something else, I've already put too much money/time into this ZFS project.

Any suggestions on a motherboard that will work with the L5639 and Registered ECC, on the cheap? I'm about to just sell everything and start over with something else, I've already put too much money/time into this ZFS project.

You need ECC? The chip should run fine without it. Answering your question though, find an asus workstation 'ws' board used. Pretty sure they all support ECC memory.

Edit:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_WS_Professional/
Specifically states:
LGA1366 Intel® Xeon® processor
This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Xeon processors in LGA1366 package with integrated memory controller to support 3-channel (6 DIMMs) DDR3 memory. Supports Intel® QickPath Interconnect (QPI) with a system bus of up to 6.4GT/s and a max bandwidth of up to 25.6GB/s. It can support DDR3 ECC un-buffered memory.

You need ECC? The chip should run fine without it.

Yeah it will run fine without ECC, but I'd really prefer it for ZFS, plus I have 40GB of ECC here, compared to my paltry 6GB of regular DDR.

I'm assuming a UDIMM will work, but I don't have any to test. I put up a post in the Freebies thread about exchanging an RDIMM for a UDIMM or I'll pay shipping back and forth.

http://www.super-laptop-parts.com/n...-x58-lga1366-desktop-motherboard-p-33846.html

New Asus P6T WS Professional Intel X58 LGA1366 Desktop Motherboard
$258.99 + $8.00 Shipping to Worldwide

13-131-357-05.jpg

cheapest i have seen it with a quick search

but I'd really prefer it for ZFS,

I must be a real dumb ass what is a ZFS used for? sounds like something that would be used in a data center...was just curious:)

I must be a real dumb ass what is a ZFS used for? sounds like something that would be used in a data center...was just curious:)

It's an advanced file system that takes advantage of ECC RAM to do real-time error correcting on data to be stored on disks. The short story is that it utilizes gobs and gobs of RAM as a 'middleman' between OS and the disk that speeds up reads and writes considerably. ECC is an important (but not completely necessary) component due to its nature of correcting errors in the data flow from initial I/O request from the OS all the way down to where it writes it to the disk.

The [H] thread has lots of info on it:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1573272

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been kicking around the idea of a whole new build but instead just upgraded my i7 950 to a X5650 for $100. I did a basic OC to 3.4ghz and I’ll try to push that farther once I get some extra time. I am really surprised at how much more responsive the system feels with the X5650, I wouldn’t have expected daily usage to be that different from the i7. Now I just have to try and hold my horses on buying a new GPU until Maxwell drops later this year, trying to game at 4k with a single 680 is rough but I’ll soldier on :p

While I myself am running Mushkin, I can't recommend them any more. Their customer service is top notch, but the sheer volume of bad sticks I've received from them is absolutely mind boggling.

<story+rant>
I bought two 3x 4GB kits and 1x 4x 4GB kit of 999057(1600MHz 7-7-7-24 1T 1.65v). Within 3 months all 10 sticks had failed. Mushkin replaced all of the sticks, and then two months later all of those were dead - never having been run anything but stock settings.

Anyway, six months goes by... Serious fucking nightmare of sticks dying left and right... They ended up sending me stuff that is on different IC's, totally different speed ratings/voltage, and I haven't had issues with these sticks yet.

I have to admit, I'm seriously put off by the fact that I now have memory chips in my rig that are from three different manufacturers and three different speeds/voltage ratings. Not only that, the performance of these modules is not up to the same level of performance as the sticks I originally purchased.
</story+rant>

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been kicking around the idea of a whole new build but instead just upgraded my i7 950 to a X5650 for $100. I did a basic OC to 3.4ghz and I’ll try to push that farther once I get some extra time. I am really surprised at how much more responsive the system feels with the X5650, I wouldn’t have expected daily usage to be that different from the i7. Now I just have to try and hold my horses on buying a new GPU until Maxwell drops later this year, trying to game at 4k with a single 680 is rough but I’ll soldier on :p

The funny thing is people are still paying close to $100 for i7-950s on ebay it could be close to a free upgrade if you sell it there lol.

Just note that ECC registered ram works with these xeon cpus even in the desktop boards. I have many kingston 1333 4gb sticks available that I can sell way cheaper than most people are asking for desktop memory. They even OC. Just pm me if interested, I have them in my F/S thread too.

While I myself am running Mushkin, I can't recommend them any more. Their customer service is top notch, but the sheer volume of bad sticks I've received from them is absolutely mind boggling.

<story+rant>
I bought two 3x 4GB kits and 1x 4x 4GB kit of 999057(1600MHz 7-7-7-24 1T 1.65v). Within 3 months all 10 sticks had failed. Mushkin replaced all of the sticks, and then two months later all of those were dead - never having been run anything but stock settings.

Anyway, six months goes by... Serious fucking nightmare of sticks dying left and right... They ended up sending me stuff that is on different IC's, totally different speed ratings/voltage, and I haven't had issues with these sticks yet.

I have to admit, I'm seriously put off by the fact that I now have memory chips in my rig that are from three different manufacturers and three different speeds/voltage ratings. Not only that, the performance of these modules is not up to the same level of performance as the sticks I originally purchased.
</story+rant>

Yeah I got them at a reasonable price for what they are... but they didn't give my system supercosmic power as advertised... so I am happy to use my Gskill and pass these on again.

was getting a bit to hot for my taste...was hitting over 90.C on one or 2 cores during the burn test....blew out the case with shop vac and used some new Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme instead of the 5 year old Thermalright grease....next time i do it ill heat up a coffee mug with water and heat up the compound so it spreads easier...that stuff was hard as hell to spread evenly. Seems to have lowered my max temps by about 10 degrees anyway so that makes me happy..I estimate it to be about 80 F degrees in my room so i may not get much better than this anyway

Capture_zps74e1afe6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These max temps seem ok now? keep in mind, nothing i really do on this pc really pushes the cpu 100% except bd-rebuilder....and even then i doubt it heats up nearly as much....what kind of cooling and max temps are you guys getting with burn test at near max?

I'd rock that overclock. Nice volts on the cpu. Did you manage to bring the QPI voltage down at all?
You can reduce the uncore speed below 2x and it'll help with that. You should be able to go down to 1.5x in steps of 0.1.

. Did you manage to bring the QPI voltage down at all?
no such luck...managed to pass it a few times down to 1.95 but after that i had to keep raising it back to where it was...to get it totally stable...i think its just a p6tdeluxv1 thing and using 200blck

You can reduce the uncore speed below 2x and it'll help with that. You should be able to go down to 1.5x in steps of 0.1.

you lost me there...are you referring to uclk freq? is it listed it any of the bios screenshots i have posted? they may not have that option our bios:confused:

no such luck...managed to pass it a few times down to 1.95 but after that i had to keep raising it back to where it was...to get it totally stable...i think its just a p6tdeluxv1 thing and using 200blck

you lost me there...are you referring to uclk freq? is it listed it any of the bios screenshots i have posted? they may not have that option our bios:confused:

Yes, in asus bios it's "UCLK" "Uncore Clock". Your screenshot shows Auto, but your cpuz with your memory speed shows it's running at 2x(Memory Speed). One of the changes intel made from bloomfield to gulftown was allowing the uncore speed to be lowered to 1.5x from 2x.

I'm not certain if this carried over to the xeons. If you actually look at the xeon and 990x on ark.intel.com, you can see that the xeon is actually rated to have higher bandwidth. But it's worth checking out.

So I was messing around with the overclock on my L5639. I had the vcore at 1.3375v with a 200 BLCK (3.2GHZ). I took it down to 199 and I was able to get the v core down to 1.3125v. I think I could have gone a few more notches too with out much problems but I ran out of time. It was stable with OCCT for 35-40 minutes at each increment going down from the 1.3375v. Not 24 hours, I know, but that's usually stable long enough to work for me. Temps went down too obviously. They hover around mid 40s instead of low - mid 50s with an H55 now.

I guess if you have a high vcore try lowering the BLCK down one. Worth a try. It's only a 16mhz loss.

So I was messing around with the overclock on my L5639. I had the vcore at 1.3375v with a 200 BLCK (3.2GHZ). I took it down to 199 and I was able to get the v core down to 1.3125v. I think I could have gone a few more notches too with out much problems but I ran out of time. It was stable with OCCT for 35-40 minutes at each increment going down from the 1.3375v. Not 24 hours, I know, but that's usually stable long enough to work for me. Temps went down too obviously. They hover around mid 40s instead of low - mid 50s with an H55 now.

I guess if you have a high vcore try lowering the BLCK down one. Worth a try. It's only a 16mhz loss.

which setting the linpack or occt? i can try as well, but to me nothing stresses harder than max Intel burn test...ill run for 30 min and see what kind a temps i get....for what its worth....it actually failed first 2 times.....started thinking...disabled core parking in windows...and all is fine again......guess the occt test has problems with core parking enabled....its a shame...would have saved me about 30 watts when internet browsing lol...no biggie

My max temps barley break a sweat with occt with max of 66 degrees lol
Capture_zps864e22ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Don't just rely on occt for stability testing...make sure it can pass 10 rounds at max setting with Intel Burn test using 12 threads...and if you happen to be using turbo use max settings on 2 threads and set affinity in task manager to use 2 cores if you happen to be concerned if turbo is really stable...depending on how much ram you have installed it could take 1 to 2 hours to finish...maybe its just my machine but it stresses mine the hardest....i recommend a time you don't need the pc for use since it really lags trying to even open up web browsers

Last edited:
Yes, in asus bios it's "UCLK" "Uncore Clock". Your screenshot shows Auto, but your cpuz with your memory speed shows it's running at 2x(Memory Speed). One of the changes intel made from bloomfield to gulftown was allowing the uncore speed to be lowered to 1.5x from 2x.

I'm not certain if this carried over to the xeons. If you actually look at the xeon and 990x on ark.intel.com, you can see that the xeon is actually rated to have higher bandwidth. But it's worth checking out.
unnamed_zps4824fc41.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
the way i read it you have to set it to double you ram speed...so no choice there

*snip*
the way i read it you have to set it to double you ram speed...so no choice there

You can lower it to 1.5x ram speed on gulftown architecture. Auto is supposed to do that. You should be able to run your UCLK as low as 2400MHz with 1600MHz memory. Naturally, performance will be better at 2x, but if you need so much voltage for 2x, it's not worth frying your chip over.

The speed of the UCLK is the primary reason why you have to increase QPI/DRAM voltage.

Capture_zpsfeca6155.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

still passing tests.....trying minor changes here and there in bios....temps still looking good for air cooling:)

I can't remember who it was, but it was mentioned in the past there are newer tools for testing stability on Intel overclocks.....please post download links if anything comes to mind;)

You can lower it to 1.5x ram speed on gulftown architecture. Auto is supposed to do that. You should be able to run your UCLK as low as 2400MHz with 1600MHz memory. Naturally, performance will be better at 2x, but if you need so much voltage for 2x, it's not worth frying your chip over.

The speed of the UCLK is the primary reason why you have to increase QPI/DRAM voltage.

Can you post a pic of the same options menu in your bios....if yours is worded the same and it works on yours i'll give it a try on mine (on the other hand if its worded differently that would suggest your board is capable of something mine is not)...could also run a test or 2 to see if it really lowers performance any if at all.....looking at you cinebench scores in the past it sure doesn't seem to hurt. mine struggles just to match your low end ;)scores and maybe just for shits and giggles run the hyperpi twice and we can compare those scores as well...i have no doubt yours is faster again:)

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of the same options menu in your bios....if yours is worded the same and it works on yours i'll give it a try on mine (on the other hand if its worded differently that would suggest your board is capable of something mine is not)...could also run a test or 2 to see if it really lowers performance any if at all.....looking at you cinebench scores in the past it sure doesn't seem to hurt. mine struggles just to match your low end ;)scores and maybe just for shits and giggles run the hyperpi twice and we can compare those scores as well...i have no doubt yours is faster again:)
Your screenshot shows you can go down to 2406MHz.
This isn't a motherboard thing, it's a CPU architecture thing.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...re-dram-rule&p=4609462&viewfull=1#post4609462

i wonder if it will allow for higher overclocks as well????it only drooped cinibench about 50 points setting it lower.....im kinda drunk as hell right now...so will put of testing for another time....but like you said it may allow for lower voltages if nothing else

i have to make some recent backup images...testing with unstable settings really frys the install at times ...ill look into more testing this weekend when my mind is clearer

just to see if we gain more people and interest.....i started a thread in "Intel Processors" here
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820772 if someone feels its not the best location let us know and start a new one at that location and we can go from there...i really have no problem if somebody else wants to be the tread op.....i just want to gain attention and possible new information from more active posters and you never know we might all get higher overclocks in the end:)

Last edited:
Back