Intel Xeon 3647 woes.

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
Ugh....

As some of you may know ,in the last year or two , I have put together a watercooled dual Xeon rig ;
see https://hardforum.com/threads/project-snowballed.1950723/

The specs are there.
-----

I have a problem..
The machine ran really well , until a couple weeks after I installed the waterblocks.
I have lost 2 channels of my CPU2 ram.

I've switched modules around etc....The 2 channels in question show up blank in BIOS.
I know der8auer had the same issue , when he installed waterblocks...
------

If I was gonna guess , I'd say the waterblocks are not rigid enough, and cpu pins are not connecting. The socket p setup is not cool.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:

drescherjm

[H]F Junkie
If I was gonna guess , I'd say the waterblocks are not rigid enough, and cpu pins are not connecting. The socket p setup is not cool.

You are probably correct.
Maybe not enough socket pressure (or even too much..)

Can you try to go back to air cooling?

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
That's definitely on the list.
I think I will try to reseat CPU2 and see what happens.

My big concern is that the northbridge is damaged....from what I understand , der8auer never did get those two channels back....

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes absolutely.
All of my memory sticks test out fine.It's the two dimm slots that are not working.

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok.
After some playing around and some research, I am not gonna fuck with it right now , it *still* crushes 4k60 HEVC ......that's all I care about.
All of the ram is fine.It appears to be the cpu/socket mating issue....Everything still works, It's just not fully connecting.

I have 10 of 12 memory channels, I'll call that a win (for the moment)
-------

My next step is to find a dead socket P mobo and see if I can't make a new socket......get rid of the 2 stupid alignment pins and put proper bolts in.

Any thoughts ?
I'm honestly scared to mess with the waterblocks as they sit now.

:ROFLMAO: