Intel X25-M 120GB SSD $164.99 after rebate

Damn, when are we going to see some real [H]ot Deals on SSDs? I figured this Black Friday would be the time to get one but the prices are still way too high! When we get a sale where it is $1/GB then I will buy one. :mad:

Buy.com has them in stock too: http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-x25-m...ive-ssd/q/loc/101/217311730.html?listingid=-1 but they don't mention the rebate. I didn't see that the rebate requires purchase from a specific store, but you ought to verify that.
You need to read the rebate a little closer. ;)

There are only a US few stores that have this rebate deal going on.

INT-10011 - Amazon
INT-10012 - Fry's
INT-10014 - Microcenter
INT-10015 - Mwave
INT-10016 - ++++US.com (store name has been censored by the forum)
INT-10018 - Newegg.com
INT-10020 - TigerDirect / CompUSA / CircuitCity / GlobalComputer

I suppose this might be a dumb question, but since I have one of these on the way...if I am going to use this in my laptop, can I clone my drive installation that I already have, or reinstall from scratch? I already have Windows 7 on my current laptop and I use Acronis for my cloning. I don't really care if I have to reinstall, but I suppose it would save some time if I cloned it.

I suppose this might be a dumb question, but since I have one of these on the way...if I am going to use this in my laptop, can I clone my drive installation that I already have, or reinstall from scratch? I already have Windows 7 on my current laptop and I use Acronis for my cloning. I don't really care if I have to reinstall, but I suppose it would save some time if I cloned it.

Most people don't recommend this as it screws up the sectors or whatever...

Uh... I see $230 w/ $35 rebate, not $200 w/ a $35 rebate (like Newegg was). And, there's no free game with it.

Black Friday is over. I was responding to other posts that mentioned Amazon's price went up to $229, but they were shipping in 1 to 3 weeks which may not meet the time limit of the rebate. Newegg was out of stock too, but now seems to have them after the deal expired. By the way, it's up to $250 on Amazon now, and still $229 on Mwave and Buy.com as I write this.

You need to read the rebate a little closer. ;)

There are only a US few stores that have this rebate deal going on.

INT-10011 - Amazon
INT-10012 - Fry's
INT-10014 - Microcenter
INT-10015 - Mwave
INT-10016 - ++++US.com (store name has been censored by the forum)
INT-10018 - Newegg.com
INT-10020 - TigerDirect / CompUSA / CircuitCity / GlobalComputer

Good catch. Since Buy.com didn't mention it, I would have spent more time investigating if I were buying it. That's why I gave the heads up to check it out.

two vertex 2 60gb for 189 shipped AR raid 0 os drive, only versus the 120gb single drive, same price os drive?

which is the better option,

I understand the loss of trim, but isnt the speed increase so much better?

Just got mine today I have to send the proof of purchase in for the rebate, Do I need any of the numbers on the box for the warranty? There is like 6 bar codes on there.

Got mine yesterday and had it installed and up and running with a clean install of Win 7 in about 20 min. Easiest hardware/software installation ever.

I go from power button to desktop in about 20 seconds now. Totally worthwhile buy.

Anyone know how to install Steam/Impulse games on a secondary HD?

Got mine yesterday and had it installed and up and running with a clean install of Win 7 in about 20 min. Easiest hardware/software installation ever.

I go from power button to desktop in about 20 seconds now. Totally worthwhile buy.

Anyone know how to install Steam/Impulse games on a secondary HD?

lol just select the second drive as your steam install and done.

I have my OS on a SSD and steam on a second drive.

Would have been a simple install for me; but i used my 32bit disk without paying attention :( Already had configured half my programs before i noticed and had to start over:( Still installed nice and smoothly though :)

To move individual steam games to the ssd as a transparent folder link use link shell extension to easily make the junction. I install games to my game hdd, cut and paste the folder to my ssd, and then make a junction link from the original location to it. When I no longer want the game on an ssd, I delete the fake junction folder and move the game folder back to the hdd.

VTGWv.png
8rWgz.png

Do you need to install any drivers for this drive?

No. But if you're using a Intel chipset, I would highly advise installing the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Get them here instead of the Intel website, they don't have the latest one listed.

So I spoke with Amazon today on the ETA of these drives and they told me they're expecting more in by 12/6, but could be as late as 12/17. Hopefully the original (6th) date will happen and we'll be able to get our rebates in on time.

To move individual steam games to the ssd as a transparent folder link use link shell extension to easily make the junction. I install games to my game hdd, cut and paste the folder to my ssd, and then make a junction link from the original location to it. When I no longer want the game on an ssd, I delete the fake junction folder and move the game folder back to the hdd.

I wish Windows would just come with this native. This is basically just a symlink in Linux.
Although, steam should really just let you pick a different install location per game. Most people will be stuck with the size of their OS drive unless they change the install location when they first install steam.. or know how to move it after.

I wish Windows would just come with this native. This is basically just a symlink in Linux.
Although, steam should really just let you pick a different install location per game. Most people will be stuck with the size of their OS drive unless they change the install location when they first install steam.. or know how to move it after.

Moving Steam installs is not really all that hard for those inclined to do so, but they could definitely make it easier.

I got a bsod after installing windows, but I think maybe it was caused by the amd ahci drivers, anyone else using the amd ahci drivers with this drive?

I got a bsod after installing windows, but I think maybe it was caused by the amd ahci drivers, anyone else using the amd ahci drivers with this drive?

Going by Techreport and Anandtech benchmarks, if you're using any AMD southbridge that is older than the new SB850 southbridge, you're better off using the Microsoft AHCI drivers.

I got mine and I'm up and running.

I downloaded the WC3 game installer from battle.net since I didn't feel like busting out the CDs. Downloaded them onto my F3 1tb. Installed onto the X-25M in 11 seconds. It was so ridiculous. It took longer to download the latest patch than it did to install the game.

My IP35-E doesn't seem to have AHCI, so I'm using regular IDE mode. Performance is still snappy, though.

One funny thing I'm noticing is the noise of my F3. It's known for the "whoop" startup noise, but I never noticed it above the sound of my fans and stuff spinning up. Now, in normal use the F3 just turns itself off, because it whoops when I go to access it. Nice.

I found a nifty little program called the Intel SSD Toolbox. It does some cool stuff. Checks to make sure your settings are right and can fix them for you if they aren't. I haven't messed around with any Microsoft or Intel drivers, though. Kinda confused from where to go.

Going by Techreport and Anandtech benchmarks, if you're using any AMD southbridge that is older than the new SB850 southbridge, you're better off using the Microsoft AHCI drivers.

I have the new sb850, which is why I was using them, also I liked the hotswap ability which I don't think the ms driver has?

No. But if you're using a Intel chipset, I would highly advise installing the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Get them here instead of the Intel website, they don't have the latest one listed.

I am having a little trouble figuring out which ones I should download. My laptop is a lenovo X201. How can I check what chipset it has?

I am having a little trouble figuring out which ones I should download. My laptop is a lenovo X201. How can I check what chipset it has?

Just download the latest one, 10.0.0.1046.

If you installed the one from MiG29TangentBoy's link, that's fine too. The one I linked has better performance and should speed up your boot times.

Just download the latest one, 10.0.0.1046.

If you installed the one from MiG29TangentBoy's link, that's fine too. The one I linked has better performance and should speed up your boot times.

Thanks, I installed it. Do I have to enable anything or does it just start working?

Back