Intel Unleashes New “Extreme” Desktop Processor and Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
Available today, the latest Extreme Edition Core™ i7-3970X processor and the Extreme Series Intel® Desktop Board DX79SR codenamed “Stormville” will unleash new PC performance for enthusiasts. This is Intel’s highest performance Extreme Edition processor with 6 Cores, Intel® Hyper-Threading technology, 15 MB cache, and 4 Channels of DDR3 memory. The Intel Desktop Board DX79SR, “Stormville” is our highest performance Extreme Series Board designed for premium features such as 8 memory DIMMs, 64GB of memory, 3 PCI*Express 3.0 x16 graphics connectors to support NVIDIA SLI* and AMD CrossfireX* configurations, and full complement of controls targeted for performance tuning and overclocking. Unlock and Unleash with Extreme Confidence.

I like how they still use the Skulls. But bring back the side on skulls on the EE processor packaging! :D

150w is what this cpu is pushing out. Better have some good cooling.

Just to confirm, this is just a clock raise right (no new tech/features)?

Just to confirm, this is just a clock raise right (no new tech/features)?

It is a clock raise and a thermal envelope increase, though maximum temperature is apparently just 91C.

According to Tom's, the new chip is binned just a hair faster, overclocked 100MHZ higher, and used an extra 20-30 watts at stock.

Not real interesting...we need to IB 2011s. 105w is just ridiculous and its barely a clock raise over what they already sell.

Complete waste of money and an embarrassment to the legacy of "real" EE processors.

Not real interesting...we need to IB 2011s. 105w is just ridiculous and its barely a clock raise over what they already sell.

Complete waste of money and an embarrassment to the legacy of "real" EE processors.

Naysayer! Everyone knows that if you put the word "extreme" on a product that it becomes far more impressive. When your friends come over to see your computer you can lean back in your chair and be all like, "Yeah, it's got 21 jiggawatts of RAM, a ML-TL-SL-CD SSDVD ray, a five CrossfireXXX Megafoot Demolisher Pancake GPVPUs with RAWR5 megajoule memory, a Golden Copper LeadPaint radiator with 200 PSI compression socks, and a Core eXtreme Quad USPS-HD9510 with FedEx Extreme cash ATM upgrades all overclocked by 413 ohms."

And your friends will be quite for a few seconds before one of them will say, "Hey, I'm thirsty. Does your mom have Sunny D in the fridge?"

And you'll be like, "Naw dawg, just the purple stuff."

For a second I thought this was a desktop 2011 Ivy Bridge. Right after I moved to a 3770k

According to Tom's, the new chip is binned just a hair faster, overclocked 100MHZ higher, and used an extra 20-30 watts at stock.
Yeah, doesn't seem worth it. i7-3770K overclocked is a far better value, even comparing both overclocked.

I lol'd at the THG power consumption. How is it that a 150W Intel processor uses the same amount of power as AMD's top 8 core "125W" processor under load? :p

Lets see...we have a 6 core CPU clocked at 3.5GHz (4.0GHz turbo), NewEgg priced at 1079.99.

Just for giggles I looked at AMD processors for the "latest and greatest" closest match based on those cores/speeds

I find one which is rated at 3.6GHz (4.21GHz turbo) which is danged close. It is NewEgg priced at 249.99.

Doing the math, the Intel CPU is 4.32 times the price of the AMD.

So tell me, is the Intel REALLY 4+ times better than the AMD?

Just what does it do that justifies a 4.32x price?

Lets see...we have a 6 core CPU clocked at 3.5GHz (4.0GHz turbo), NewEgg priced at 1079.99.
Just for giggles I looked at AMD processors for the "latest and greatest" closest match based on those cores/speeds
I find one which is rated at 3.6GHz (4.21GHz turbo) which is danged close. It is NewEgg priced at 249.99.
Doing the math, the Intel CPU is 4.32 times the price of the AMD.
So tell me, is the Intel REALLY 4+ times better than the AMD?
Just what does it do that justifies a 4.32x price?

It depends on what application you are using the most, in majority of case AMD will do the job, but in few where required Intel will leave AMD in dust. so these chips are majorly bought by some rich folks or businesses who needs the processing power of these chips.

It depends on what application you are using the most, in majority of case AMD will do the job, but in few where required Intel will leave AMD in dust. so these chips are majorly bought by some rich folks or businesses who needs the processing power of these chips.

I agree with the statement of rich folks buying these. But businesses that need the processing power will likely stick with 6+ core Xeons.

Yeah, doesn't seem worth it. i7-3770K overclocked is a far better value, even comparing both overclocked.

I lol'd at the THG power consumption. How is it that a 150W Intel processor uses the same amount of power as AMD's top 8 core "125W" processor under load? :p

Because those Watt values are *THERMAL* power ratings and NOT ELECTRICAL power ratings.

Grape juice?

kool-aid.jpg

Because those Watt values are *THERMAL* power ratings and NOT ELECTRICAL power ratings.
<willy wonka.jpg> please share your intricate knowledge of FET technology. It should be interesting.

<willy wonka.jpg> please share your intricate knowledge of FET technology. It should be interesting.

Good grief. :rolleyes:

http://ark.intel.com/products/70845/Intel-Core-i7-3970X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-3_50-GHz

"Max TDP 150 W"

TDP stands for Thermal Dynamic Power. Which is the maximum amount of heat a component is allowed to need to dissipate at stock operating conditions. That is it right there, no need for FET engineering simply knowing what a blasted abbreviation means is all that is needed. That means that the 3970X for example is allowed to at stock need to dump a maximum of 150W of heat. It does not mean the 3970X has to pull or will pull 150W, it might well do that but a TDP spec does not tell you that. Like I said. Thermal (heat) not electrical.

Same for any AMD CPU, NewEgg.com properly labels the power spec "TDP" whereas the amd corporate site place fast and loose calling it "Power". TDP is a THERMAL rating like the abbreviation *says* and not an electrical rating. You don't need a friggin PhD in electromagnetism or thermodynamics to know what TDP stands for.

Please share your intricate knowledge on the topic...you apparently don't even know what T.D.P. stand for.

I occasionally remind myself that I don't give a fuk about CPU's anymore...

Good grief. :rolleyes:
both AMD and intel have reported tdp for the power ratings for a while (with a couple of exceptions... Intel sometimes uses a platform rating and AMD used 3 differnet power ratings for K10 between desktop and server chips). AMD's new 125w CPU is using the same power under load as a 150w i7-3970x. Period. No need to try to make it anything other than tdp to tdp, an apples to apples comparison.

This isn't the first time this happened either. Amd's "100w" chips also seem to be grossly underrated for tdp, along with many other AMD chips too. It's a pattern.

Hell if you are going to spend over 1k for a 6 core "extreme" processor, you might as well spend $1800 and get the 8 core Intel Xeon E5-2687W *although this is branded a zeon processor, it will work in x79 boards, and in reality is also a sandy bridge -E processor*
If you have an extra 600, might as well through in another 800 on top of that...........

If you are going to do overkill, you might as well go all out!:p

Back