Intel to Ship Samples of Experimental 48-core Processor

HardOCP News

[H] News
Think that quad-core processor you are running is bad-ass? Then imagine running a 48-core processor. If this article is correct, sample 48-core processors will be shipped to researchers by the end of the second quarter of this year. :eek:

Limited quantities of the processor will be sent primarily to academic institutions, said Sean Koehl, technology evangelist with Intel Labs, during an event in New York on Wednesday. The chip may not become commercially available as it is part of a research project, but features from the processor could be implemented in future chips.

I think I share the same opinion as most here: schwing^48 LOL

Seems something is coming out from Larrabee after all.

But can it play Crysis?

*Obligatory Crysis question fulfilled.

But can it play Crysis?

*Obligatory Crysis question fulfilled.

Wrong. Can it play solitaire or minesweeper? Probably not.

I wonder what this 48core system would do with rendering times? It would be awesome if it were something like a 48core Xeon cpu.

how much power draw does a graphics card have...they have 32/64/some even 128 cores

It doesn't say, but I wonder if it's an Itanium, not a Xeon.

I don't like this part though

The 48-core chip operates at about the clock speed of Atom-based chips, said Christopher Anderson, an engineer with Intel Labs. Intel's latest Atom chips are power-efficient, are targeted at netbooks and small desktops, and run at clock speeds between 1.66GHz and 1.83GHz.

Not sure why they used Atom as a reference to clock speed and not, say, a CULV - unless they mean each core was designed similarly to an Atom, which is to say each core would sucks donkey balls in a server environment unless you use multicore server apps.

It doesn't say, but I wonder if it's an Itanium, not a Xeon.

I don't like this part though

Not sure why they used Atom as a reference to clock speed and not, say, a CULV - unless they mean each core was designed similarly to an Atom, which is to say each core would sucks donkey balls in a server environment unless you use multicore server apps.

Because the general reader knows what an Atom is. They don't know what a CULV processor is.

I think this is where the wars between Intel and AMD start to heat up. I can see AMD setting together a crack team to intercept the shipment, resulting in wicked air combat and fight scenes on cargo planes. All over leading edge technology, who will be the dominant body? Tune in to find out!

I'm currently hosting the entire interwebz using this and google's dark fiber. You're welcome.

I thought IA-64 was dead? Is HP still using Itaniums?

I think it's still alive and well. The last version of IA-64 was released Feb 2010. I think you're thinking of Microsoft's support of the Itanium.

Since high-end Itanium server implementations predominantly ran HP-UX as their operating system, this led to Microsoft announcing in April 2010 that it would not release any new versions of Windows on Itanium.[5] Chips based on x86-64 were also scaled up to powerful multi-core 8 to 12 core processors, allowing them to be used in high-end server applications, casting some doubt even on Itanium's future in this area.

Source - as usual, take any Wiki source with a grain of salt.

I think this is where the wars between Intel and AMD start to heat up. I can see AMD setting together a crack team to intercept the shipment, resulting in wicked air combat and fight scenes on cargo planes. All over leading edge technology, who will be the dominant body? Tune in to find out!

That would require AMD to have money.
As it is all they could afford would be a team of monkeys armed with 4 day old ripe bananas.

Pentium Dual-Core E2140 - 1600 MHz - June 3, 2007
Pentium Dual-Core E2160 - 1800 MHz - June 3, 2007
Okay, okay. But that's still nearly 3 years, and besides, Pentiums are more well known for being clocked ridiculously high rather than that low. So really, I would still contend that Atom is a better association than Pentium in this regard.

Who cares what processors are better known. My question was whether this 48-core is actually 48 Atom cores or not :-P

If so, do not want! Single-threaded apps would perform poorly on this processor.

how the hell do you get 48 cores to only use 125w??????
My cousin once brought home his college's experimental PCI-E parallel processor card, worth $20,000 alone. It had 256 CPUs (yes, CPUs) in parallel in a small area of about 1.25" squared. That is approximately 0.29W per CPU and about $78 per CPU. These kind of hardware are used for things like emulating neural networks (something that requires true parallel processing); these would also be the ultimate hardware to utilize for console emulators.

See more information at http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PS3-emu?pid=53391#pid53391 -- I am BlueToast (forum user) and Qwerty (IRC log).

Pfffffffffffffffffffffff who needs 48-core processors when I have 49.

My cousin once brought home his college's experimental PCI-E parallel processor card, worth $20,000 alone. It had 256 CPUs (yes, CPUs) in parallel in a small area of about 1.25" squared. That is approximately 0.29W per CPU and about $78 per CPU. These kind of hardware are used for things like emulating neural networks (something that requires true parallel processing); these would also be the ultimate hardware to utilize for console emulators.

See more information at http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PS3-emu?pid=53391#pid53391 -- I am BlueToast (forum user) and Qwerty (IRC log).
The university trusted your cousin with such spectacular technology? I'm surprised he wasn't kidnapped by a mob of masked men and found a day later in a trash can.

Great! That's 46 more cores that I can't use for gaming applications.

I wonder if these are normal x86-ish cores and the die yield will be terrible, or if they're stupid-small "cores" like glorified shader units.

We're still far, far away from having that many fully functional x86 cores in a CPU.

Isn't this the 48 core Intel showed off some time ago, IIRC its just made up of simple functional cores or something like that.

Intels first many core prototype used non x86 cores; but their second 48 core model was based on x86l but of a simple design. The atom has <50m transistors; you could fit ~60 of them in a fermi sized chip; and since this is being done as part of R&D for mainstream chips that are multiple process shrinks down the line Intel doesn't have to worry about horrible yields from an obscenely huge chip killing profitability.

For that matter you could fit almost 100 p3's into a die the size of an i7-9xx quadcore chip; and a higher end p3 is capable of running a modern OS.

The actual numbers would be somewhat less because in addition to all the cores you've got a large chunk of hardware switching data around between them; but there's no reason intel can't do this with x86 at a feasible die size.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035571681&postcount=29

The difference though is that it isn't the same structure as what that guy (Cerulean) is talking about. What Intel is doing is a CPU that uses 3D transistors. Wish there was an edit button.

Steve/Kyle - when are you founding [H]ardOCP - Research Division so you can get your hands on one of these samples?!

Back