Intel ssd oops

crewzen

Gawd
Well I got one for my old Opteron 185 to give it a little life and to get one before next week when th 6gb disks come out. I wanted to make shure I have one for sata II. Hope the new ssd's are priced about the same or I made a mistake.

Hope it is worth it?

Well ? ugh.

Is this a good decision? :D

Seems like a good idea. The 185 is a respectable CPU, most definetly fast enough to be bottlenecked by a slow HD. If this is a workstation that you use frequently, I say go for it.

Dustin

You'll defiantly notice a faster experience. Having every program open instantaneously is a great thing.

SATA is backwards-compatible. Not counting issues due to not-quite-perfect adherence to the standard, you should be able to plug a SATA 6Gb SSD into a SATA II or even SATA I controller and have no issues (just slower speeds). You don't need to run out and get a SATA II model right now. SATA 6Gb is just now hitting the market, so SATA II stuff will still be around for a while yet, in addition to the new stuff working anyway.

I haven't heard of any Intel 6Gb drives coming out in the near future, but I haven't really been paying attention either. If something new is coming out, then the old stuff usually drops in price. It'd probably be better to wait until the new stuff comes out.

But yeah, an SSD will make any system faster. The hard drive is basically the only mechanical part left in a PC, and by far the slowest. While a hard drive can have an access time over 10ms, bad SSDs are around 1ms and good ones are .1ms.

Well I did it. I bought 2 80 GB ssd intel r2 drives for a raid 0 for the Opty 185 and I bought a 160 GB ssd for my i7 920 in win 7. Now all I have to do is figure out how to update the 160 gb ssd. with the new toolbox and trim. This is all new country for me. Im an old scsi person.:eek: If any one has any words of advice I could shure use them.

It's pretty simple to update the firmwares, just burn the ISO on Intel's site to a DVD, boot off it, and follow the prompts, idiot-proof. Keep in mind you won't get TRIM w/RAID regardless until Intel's RAID drivers are updated tho (no one has RAID drivers that support TRIM right now, FWIW).

Thanks. That is why I am putting the 2 small ssd's in on the Opty 185 and the 160 with trim I hope with the i7 win7.

:confused:ISO is o I know nothing about ISO is it a self booting cd? What do you use to burn it onto a dvd?

Like I said Im an OLD scsi person with floppies. Wo ISO is so new to me I know nothing.

how do I know if I have the correct ISO file or what ever it is? For trim and toolbox?:confused:

An ISO is just a pre-packaged CD/DVD, you just use your burning program of choice to burn it and it expands all the contents into it. Go to this link and grab the latest bootable ISO, then use something like CDBurnerXP (really simple program) to burn it. Then just boot with the CD in the drive (and make sure it's first in the boot order, or before your SSD at 'least, in the BIOS). The Toolbox is just a separate program you can grab off Intel's site that runs some diagnostics and whatnot (and allows you to run TRIM manually, mostly useful for those not running Win7).

You'll get the hang of it, its not much different, just the media is a cd vs a floppy

Thanks again.

The hard part was getting it to unpack itself. The first time it just copied the ISO file itself.

But it finaly worked out and I just updated my 2 60gb ssd's.

That is kinds slick.

:D

Back