Intel SSD Dead after firmware update

No offense, I wouldn't touch Microsoft's AHCI drivers with a 10 foot pole. They have a known issue dealing w/ drive timeouts. (Most likely will be solved and put in Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP3)

Also, updating drive microcode is NOT as easy as it sounds. It's very dependent on your southbridge chipset (ICH*/PCH* for Intel, MCP* for Nvidia, SB* for AMD, and some VIA in Acer/low budget OEM computers), storage mode (*IDE/*AHCI/RAID), and sata port (I've personally found that some sata ports over 3 [ports start at 0, so realistically it's "over port 4"] are not detected in some DOS HDD tools).

Lots of variables are in play. I bet it's these "enhanced/compatible" IDE modes that are causing havoc on the drives. Some BIOS just plain suck, period.

No offense, I wouldn't touch Microsoft's AHCI drivers with a 10 foot pole. They have a known issue dealing w/ drive timeouts. (Most likely will be solved and put in Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP3)

Also, updating drive microcode/firmware is NOT as easy as it sounds. It's very dependent on your southbridge chipset (ICH*/PCH* for Intel, MCP* for Nvidia, SB* for AMD, and some VIA in Acer/low budget OEM computers), storage mode (*IDE/*AHCI/RAID), and sata port (I've personally found that some sata ports over 3 [ports start at 0, so realistically it's "over port 4"] are not detected in some DOS HDD tools).

Lots of variables are in play. I bet it's these "enhanced/compatible" IDE modes that are causing havoc on the drives. Some BIOS just plain suck, period.

Edit: I'd also recommend to update your motherboard's BIOS before you update any of your (hard) drives' microcodes/firmware.

Last edited:
Edit: I'd also recommend to update your motherboard's BIOS before you update any of your (hard) drives' microcodes/firmware.

Sounds like you enjoy playing Russian Roulette. :D

I only update firmware on my devices when it makes a change I absolutely need. I've been burned by bios flashes twice in the past. It always terrifies me, watching the progress on a motherboards firmware flash.

Slightly off topic, but my Abit IP35P mobo does not have any options in BIOS to select AHCI. Does this mean I'm SOL? Once Intel does release a working firmware, will I have to manually wipe the SSD or is there a way to set it up automatically without AHCI?

New to the world of SSDs...so thanks,

Slightly off topic, but my Abit IP35P mobo does not have any options in BIOS to select AHCI. Does this mean I'm SOL? Once Intel does release a working firmware, will I have to manually wipe the SSD or is there a way to set it up automatically without AHCI?

New to the world of SSDs...so thanks,

My Asus P5K-E (also a P35 mobo) has an AHCI option, but I couldn't seem to get the OS to install with it on.

So I'm "stuck" with Enhanced IDE, too. But my transfer rates are fine, nearly identical to everyone's that I've seen with AHCI enabled, so I'd get it anyway. Besides, I think you'll be better off, you won't have to worry about bricking your drive with the seemingly broken TRIM function!

I used the Intel SSD Toolbox any my drive is working in new state again!

I bet it's these "enhanced/compatible" IDE modes that are causing havoc on the drives.
From what I gathered and my personal experience, the people who flashed under enhanced/compatible IDE are the ones with working drives.

G2 80GB

shut down, unplugged all other drives
powered up, set IDE mode
booted from CD, hit yes a bunch of times, updated firmware
shut down, plugged other drives back in
powered up, set AHCI mode
rebooted, booted into existing Windows 7 install
some drivers installed, rebooted
done

Have run the toolbox trim several times, as well as the quick scan, no problems since the afternoon of the firmware launch. This was on an already-existing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install on an Asrock P55 Pro motherboard.

Friend of mine with an Asus P5Q followed a similar procedure with no issues either.

I wonder if having other devices plugged in had anything to do with it, for the people whose drives were bricked?

My condolences to those who lost their drives and/or data.

same here , flashed in IDE mode, than switech to AHCI , all went well....

DFI UT X58 here

Yes they removed the download for it a couple of days ago. Mine is still working fortunately and I did flash it under AHCI mode.

Yep. No pattern at all. Win7 might not even be a common point, we had one dude brick his drive under vista.

the common pattern is Windows 7, AHCI mode, Windows installs "new drivers" & reboot.

How you flashed doesn't seem to affect it.

Doesn't seem to affect XP or Vista.

So my guess, its something wrong with the "native TRIM" on the drive.

I believe you can have approx. 3+ different drivers.
Either the Intel, Microsoft, or Intel Raid (Matrix) drivers, then throw in that the Intel has different versions out there and you've got even more possibilites. Possibly some of these drivers are not performing TRIM properly and bricking drivers.

I'm thinking Intel needs to make a DOS version of their tool box to TRIM the drive once before you ever boot in to Windows 7. Possibly Windows 7 is TRIMing part of the drive while its in a fragmented state.

the common pattern is Windows 7, AHCI mode, Windows installs "new drivers" & reboot.

How you flashed doesn't seem to affect it.

Doesn't seem to affect XP or Vista.

So my guess, its something wrong with the "native TRIM" on the drive.

I believe you can have approx. 3+ different drivers.
Either the Intel, Microsoft, or Intel Raid (Matrix) drivers, then throw in that the Intel has different versions out there and you've got even more possibilites. Possibly some of these drivers are not performing TRIM properly and bricking drivers.

I'm thinking Intel needs to make a DOS version of their tool box to TRIM the drive once before you ever boot in to Windows 7. Possibly Windows 7 is TRIMing part of the drive while its in a fragmented state.
that could be it
I'm using the RAID drivers, so maybe that's why I'm safe

People have posted using RAID and bricked drives, and as I said earlier, the same with vista rather than win7.

The vast majority of those with bricked drives are running win7 in AHCI mode and the microsoft drivers with TRIM enabled, yes. It's very possible that those others may be outliers, or just simply mistaken.

Flashed in Compatible IDE mode and running Enhanced EDE. It's been a couple of days and zero problems so far.

Back