Intel SSD Dead after firmware update

I have 2 X25-M 160Gb at home. Did the firmware update, no problems on both, after countlesss reboots, and then running games all night. :)

What I did. Unplug all drives except X25-M, Bios: IDE compatible mode, boot from CD, flash.

No problems on both computers.

Well, my G2 RMA crosship from Intel just arrived. Can't knock their service. The question is, do I run the firmware update on the new drive? I want TRIM... but also want a working desktop...

Well, my G2 RMA crosship from Intel just arrived. Can't knock their service. The question is, do I run the firmware update on the new drive? I want TRIM... but also want a working desktop...
Could you provide me a link or what number you called to setup an RMA with Intel directly? I have my drive boxed up and ready to return for a refund to Amazon (since a replacement won't come for 1 - 2 months), but if Intel will cross ship a replacement directly I would go that route.

I personally would not update until Intel addresses the issue.

Apparently, Intel cross-ships at a steep $25 fee. Paying that for the problem Intel caused is a little, well, unfair. I'm sitting out this one, I was lucky I was busy all day yesterday and didn't jump on the update the minute it hit the internet :D

Just some additional info on my SSD experiencing a massive heart-attack and dieing a slow, painful, tragic death. I was using Windows 7 64bit, EVGA X58 E758 motherboard, X25-M G2 80gb SSD and NO RAID setup.

Just some additional info on my SSD experiencing a massive heart-attack and dieing a slow, painful, tragic death. I was using Windows 7 64bit, EVGA X58 E758 motherboard, X25-M G2 80gb SSD and NO RAID setup.

Were you running ahci or IDE mode in BIOS? before and after flash.

Also are you running final version of Win 7?

I certainly wouldn't flash my drive after reading this thread. Thank God my flash worked OK!

Anyone lurking, just wait a day or two until we get more information.

I'd have to agree at this point. I feel like I lucked out on my home box but I'm definitely not going to try the firmware update on the business critical box here at my shop. There is some discussions on this bricking drives at the Intel forums as well.

http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/solidstate?view=discussions

I'm guessing this will be getting some sort of a public addressing pretty soon by Intel and I'm sure the NAND group at Intel is already scrambling to figure out why so many are getting bricked drives.

Even at that - on my home box it's been rebooted at least 3 times, used most of last night, hibernated and woke up and worked fine this morning.... yet I'm still worried now that it could crash at any time.

There are a LOT of variables too. Different mobo's, custom and commercial built systems, different chipsets, different SATA drivers, etc... I'm seeing posts on both 80 and 160gb drives getting hosed. To me it sounds like it could be a bit complicated to figure out the common thread thats causing the problems. One thing I am wondering on. On my mobo - if I switch it in BIOS between AHCI mode and IDE mode I have to save and power cycle twice before drives get re-detected properly by the BIOS in their new mode. In other words, changing it to IDE and rebooting does NOT fully change it over. If I change it, and just save, reboot, and go right back into BIOS things are not right yet - I have to then power totally down and then go into the BIOS a third time at which point everything is detected and showing up properly in the new mode. Then going back to AHCI I have to do that same process. I'm wondering this because I could be possible some boards are only partially changed over to the other mode on the first reboot.

I'm just thinking out loud though. On mine - I did NOT change it to IDE mode at all. I left it in AHCI mode (no raid). I did go into the BIOS to set CD as the first boot device though since I normally keep that off to speed boot time.

I certainly wouldn't flash my drive after reading this thread. Thank God my flash worked OK!

Anyone lurking, just wait a day or two until we get more information.

Were you running ahci or IDE mode in BIOS? before and after flash.

Also are you running final version of Win 7?

I'm using the final retail FULL (not upgrade) version of Windows 7. I flashed in AHCI mode. Here's some additional info from the Intel readme file that came with the 1.4 firmware update:

BIOS STORAGE CONFIGURATION
This tool will only function correctly with the BIOS SATA ports
configured to "Legacy" / "Compatibility" mode, or "AHCI" mode.
Some BIOS configurations support SATA port modes such as "IRRT",
"RAID", and "Native + IDE" mode, which are not supported by this
utility.

INSTRUCTIONS ON UPDATING THE FIRMWARE
2. Ensure the Intel SSD is attached to a SATA port in the system.
For best results, ensure the SATA port is a native control
port of your south bridge controller (generally
SATA ports 0 through 4). SATA ports attached to a 3rd party
SATA controller bridge chip or add-in SATA controller
expansion cards are not recommended for use when updating
the firmware. For more details, consult your system technical
documentation.

My SSD is connected to SATA port 0. Followed the instructions but it just didn't work.

well fuck, I'm afraid to reboot now

I flashed my X25-M 160GB G2 yesterday and haven't had any problems yet

I am running my SATA ports as RAID since I have some HDDs in RAID0, the X25-M is a non-member disk
I changed my storage configuration in the BIOS to IDE Compatible, flashed, then changed back to RAID

I seriously doubt that Intel will ever publicly acknowledge the screw up with this firmware update. They'll open themselves to legal action if they do.

My corrupted drive seems fine now but the SMART failed indicator is more intrusive than I thought.

smarterrorx25g2.gif

They'll open themselves up to class action if they don't.
still leaves room for legal manuevering since the problem is far being ubiquitous/consistent, so far in the poll, it's 2/1 ratio (update is good/bad) and considering it's heavily biased toward people with problem (they are more likely to come in and vote), I'd say Intel has very solid grounds to defeat any class-action suit.

Last edited:
Apparently, Intel cross-ships at a steep $25 fee. Paying that for the problem Intel caused is a little, well, unfair. I'm sitting out this one, I was lucky I was busy all day yesterday and didn't jump on the update the minute it hit the internet :D

Yeah, $25 sucks but it's my boot drive. Just restored back from WHS and typing this on my newly-the-same desktop. Got the new drive 24 hours after bricking the first, to me that's worth $25 vs waiting 5-7 days easily.

Just to add to the data, I bricked the drive doing the firmware update on an EVGA X58 SLI LE, sata port 0, IDE mode.

I'm definitely waiting for them to sort it out before I update the new drive :)

EDIT: Call intel directly at 916-377-7000, I bought my 160gb OEM drive from Newegg before the price gouge kicked in ($450 4tw) and intel took it back directly, never contacted the egg.

Yeah, $25 sucks but it's my boot drive. Just restored back from WHS and typing this on my newly-the-same desktop. Got the new drive 24 hours after bricking the first, to me that's worth $25 vs waiting 5-7 days easily.

Just to add to the data, I bricked the drive doing the firmware update on an EVGA X58 SLI LE, sata port 0, IDE mode.

I'm definitely waiting for them to sort it out before I update the new drive :)

EDIT: Call intel directly at 916-377-7000, I bought my 160gb OEM drive from Newegg before the price gouge kicked in ($450 4tw) and intel took it back directly, never contacted the egg.
Did the replacement drive seem new, or is it refurbished?

My 160GB drive also got bricked by the update. I already have an RMA set up, and I was wondering what the replacement is going to look like.

Did the replacement drive seem new, or is it refurbished?

My 160GB drive also got bricked by the update. I already have an RMA set up, and I was wondering what the replacement is going to look like.

Seems pretty new. Fresh packing and the like, states was packed 9/25/09.

I also got a new "My SSD Rocks!" sticker, v2 with stripes, that's totally worth the $25, really.

Looks like they took it down now. I was lucky and didn't have time to flash either.

Here's the old firmware:
http://www.kbench.com/software/hit.jsp?no=35840

But it refuses to flash older firmware on a device with newer firmware. Anyone able to do anything with this to force a downgrade?

I unpacked the iso and tried some random switches on the main executable but nothing seemed to make it want to force a downgrade and no help with switches like (/h -h /? -?, etc) was provided. Without documentation on the exe I doubt it.

I also got a new "My SSD Rocks!" sticker, v2 with stripes, that's totally worth the $25, really.

lol :( - I would have done the same though

Looks like they took it down now. I was lucky and didn't have time to flash either.

thats good news as the firmware was so anticipated and public that they will have to awknowlege a problem if they took it down

Has anyone who was not running AHCI mode experienced this problem? I ordered an intel g2 80g yesterday afternoon (just my luck) and I was thinking that maybe I should just never put it into AHCI mode in the bios.

Is there anything "wrong" with not choosing to run AHCI mode? I'm not going to hot swap and I don't know how much NCQ really adds.

Thinking that when I get the drive I'll not run AHCI, flash the firmware and then install Win7.

Or is this biting people who weren't running AHCI too?

You lose a little performance with IDE but not very noticeable from my benchmarks.

I use Enhanced IDE mode. Flashed my 80Gb G2 in Compatiblity mode, and all is well after flash. But I'm using Win XP, looks like its pretty much everyone on Win 7 having the problems.

Wow, I think this should be a sticky until Intel fixes this.. I have 2 Intel 80GB G2's that I have yet to install as I am waiting upon my i7 stuff to come in.. I am glad I have waited, and glad I found this thread. Let us know of any further issues or updates..

I don't think you need to worry if you're doing a fresh install. You should be ok.

I haven't heard of any problems with people bricking blank drives.

It SEEMS to be limited to Win7 and something happening in that first reboot.

Wow this sux.. good luck to you all. I know I lost my array after flashing my G1 to the 8820 firmware but a reload got me back going again and been solid ever since.

I think Intel now acknowledged the issue because the firmware download page is now gone.

Man this sucks for you guys, I was >< close to buying a new SSD to replace the old Raptor I have, but had to get a few more TB for my WHS box. Glad I didnt buy it now.........as the trusty Raptor ticks away at 10k rpm day in and day out flawlessly.

Maybe they should start sending out "My SSD is a Rock!" stickers.

Ha! Good one! Honestly, after just buying this recently, I don't know wether to laugh or cry after losing my SSD and everything on it (operating system, programs, settings).

By the way, when I called Intel early today, I was told that the phone que was full with people calling and lots more were calling with SSD problems. Keep in mind that compared to my home computer, you have businesses, corporations, hospitals, the government, military, etc. using these drives as well for critical stuff.

Thank goodness this thread came up before I downloaded!

I guess my computer will be down for a few weeks now and I'll have to reinstall everything again.

Did the SSD die or are you still able to format your SSD and reinstall the OS? There's a huge difference.

Also, is it really going to take you weeks to reinstall your OS and software? Shouldn't that take... an hour at most? >.>

Looks like it may be AHCI related, after every ghost restore my drive would re-corrupt after first reboot. This time after restore I set the bios to compatibility SATA only mode instead of Enhance IDE, or Enhanced AHCI mode. Now even though I have the end-to-end SMART error I can boot up and the drive doesn't seem to be re-corrupting.

Man this sucks for you guys, I was >< close to buying a new SSD to replace the old Raptor I have, but had to get a few more TB for my WHS box. Glad I didnt buy it now.........as the trusty Raptor ticks away at 10k rpm day in and day out flawlessly.

You got the ticking part right!

Ha! Good one! Honestly, after just buying this recently, I don't know wether to laugh or cry after losing my SSD and everything on it (operating system, programs, settings).

By the way, when I called Intel early today, I was told that the phone que was full with people calling and lots more were calling with SSD problems. Keep in mind that compared to my home computer, you have businesses, corporations, hospitals, the government, military, etc. using these drives as well for critical stuff.

I really hope my hospital isn't using 'bleeding' edge technology for critical equipment.

"No no nurse, that failed to boot error doesn't mean the patient."

Thank goodness this thread came up before I downloaded!

Did the SSD die or are you still able to format your SSD and reinstall the OS? There's a huge difference.

Also, is it really going to take you weeks to reinstall your OS and software? Shouldn't that take... an hour at most? >.>

SSD is dead. I've tried everything but it's gone. Why will it take weeks? If I return it to Newegg, they're currently out of stock and I'm sure with many, many others trying to RMA, it'll probably take forever. Even if I RMA to Intel, I'm way behind others getting a drive too. So it'll probably take some time to get a replacement and everything reinstalled.

People are saying intel cross-ship RMAs are taking like 1-2 days total. You're still screwed, obviously, as you lost all that data and will have to reinstall etc, but you're not out of commission for weeks.

And who knows, maybe intel will release some sort of fix. They obviously know about the situation since they pulled the firmware.

Back