• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel RST: Migrating Disks, PC etc.

aviat72

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2010
Messages
508
I want to rearrange some of my SSDs and had a general question about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology and portability of the array.

From what I have read, with IRST, you can simple take your drives to a new motherboard, plug them in, enable RAID mode in BIOS, and the Intel ROM, and once you boot, the Intel HBA will detect the array and it will appear to the system as it was in the old PC. Of course they are some caveats related the the version of the controller etc.

This seems to suggest that all the RAID related information is actually stored on the disks themselves, and there is no thing which is stored in the BIOS or the OS level.

It would also imply that I can move the disks around, and all long as I maintain the integrity of the set of disks in the array, it is all plug and play. I currently have 2 Intel 40GB in RAID-0 as my boot disks. I could take them out, try out other combinations using different drives, and then plug the Intel Drives back in without any hassles.

Any thoughts?
 
I could take them out, try out other combinations using different drives, and then plug the Intel Drives back in without any hassles.
I do it all the time but maintain the origional drive connections.

Your assessment of the RAID situation is correct and will work if the proper conditions are present.
 
Thanks OH. I am going to put some M4s 64GB. I was wondering whether I even need to do a RAID-0 on these. They are fast enough out of the box.
 
OK. Decided to follow you and running 2x M4 64GB leaving 28GB Blank and making a disk of 100GB.:D. Do you also do this (over)-over-provisioning or whatever the correct technical term is.

This is what I am getting. I notice that without a deep queue the random 4K read speeds are quite low; they were low on the Intel RAID-0 also. Are we hitting some controller limitation here? I actually got better random speeds on a 5 year old MTRON 16GB SLC drive I was tinkering with. The write speed though sucked there.


M464GBx2RAID0.jpg


Incidentally I was not able to use the W7 IRST program to go from a single drive to a RAID-0 configuration while retaining the data. (unstriped single disk to two striped disks); I got an unknown software error or something.
 
Do you also do this (over)-over-provisioning or whatever the correct technical term is.
I only used over provisioning on my Intel 80GB (both G1 & G2) RAID0 arrays.

MY OS & programs are the only things permanent on the drive (@ 50GBs) but because it's also a "staging, hold, un-RAR" area for my WHS it can bloat to 100GBs or more in a heartbeat.

That would have created a problem for the Intel 160GB array but not the 512GB array of the Crucials.

Incidentally I was not able to use the W7 IRST program to go from a single drive to a RAID-0 configuration while retaining the data.
Changing base configurations can be difficult because of the different drivers that are needed but with programs like Acronis with Universal Restore you can add the required drivers to make it work.

How about running AS-SSD and giving us a screenshot?

Do you have write caching enabled?
 
Back
Top