- Joined
- Jul 11, 2001
- Messages
- 12,831
I changed the OS on my file server (specs in sig) from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2 yesterday.
The server has 5 storage drives and one OS drive, which use all 6 Intel SATA ports on the board. All of the drives were working and accessible under Server 2008 R2.
The install of Server 2012 was uneventful, but once I was into the OS, got drivers and updates installed, and installed the RST software, I noticed one of my drives wasn't showing up. When I open RST, it lists that particular drive as "Incompatible", though it doesn't elaborate.
I can't figure out why it would be "Incompatible" just due to switching the OS between 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, I used the latest Intel drivers and RST software in both cases. I didn't make any changes to the physical configuration of the drives or swap any cables or anything.
After swapping ports, double-checking cables, and everything I could think of, I tried one last-ditch effort. I dug an ancient Silicon Image 2-port SATA150 PCI card out of my parts bin and stuck it in there. I moved the "incompatible" drive over to one of the SATA ports on the PCI card and magically it works and is detected by windows just fine. RST doesn't say anything about the drive anymore since it only monitors Intel ports.
I'm okay with this since I don't need more than SATA150 speeds on that drive and it gives me 2 open ports to add more drives, but I would still love to know WHY it all of a sudden started listing it as incompatible. Is this more likely a drive issue or an Intel / Motherboard issue?
The server has 5 storage drives and one OS drive, which use all 6 Intel SATA ports on the board. All of the drives were working and accessible under Server 2008 R2.
The install of Server 2012 was uneventful, but once I was into the OS, got drivers and updates installed, and installed the RST software, I noticed one of my drives wasn't showing up. When I open RST, it lists that particular drive as "Incompatible", though it doesn't elaborate.
I can't figure out why it would be "Incompatible" just due to switching the OS between 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, I used the latest Intel drivers and RST software in both cases. I didn't make any changes to the physical configuration of the drives or swap any cables or anything.
After swapping ports, double-checking cables, and everything I could think of, I tried one last-ditch effort. I dug an ancient Silicon Image 2-port SATA150 PCI card out of my parts bin and stuck it in there. I moved the "incompatible" drive over to one of the SATA ports on the PCI card and magically it works and is detected by windows just fine. RST doesn't say anything about the drive anymore since it only monitors Intel ports.
I'm okay with this since I don't need more than SATA150 speeds on that drive and it gives me 2 open ports to add more drives, but I would still love to know WHY it all of a sudden started listing it as incompatible. Is this more likely a drive issue or an Intel / Motherboard issue?