Intel RMA does this sound right to you?

Yes, AMD also sell those. Including IBM, ARM, Qualcomm and so on ;)

Nice try tho.

Hey dont have a Meltdown over the truth man. I am sure all those guys running servers are just thrilled with the huge jumps in cpu utilization and large losses on I/O performance. Might only be a small hit on the consumer side but it's ugly in the server world, heck even Epic games admitted trouble after they patched their systems. https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/06/epic-blames-meltdown-patches-on-fortnite-problems/

My god the forums on the Intel side are a bit ruthless, I have never seen a memory controller burn out from higher speeds being set, higher voltage is a different thing. Perhaps the better way is to ask the Op, "Did you run the ram overclocked and at higher voltages... If so then yeah they can deny coverage if they find damage due to that."

The OP is whining to the choir.

Also, that 3200 ram is 1.35v. The stock voltage for DDR4 is 1.2v. That's 12% out-of-spec.

He told them his system specs. He takes the fall for admitting any part of his system was overclocked.

Intel sells K CPUs, and doesn't want to give you a warranty replacement if you use the optional core OC feature. They have the option to refuse RMA if they can prove you destroyed the CPU.

Intel sells Z-series motherboards, and doesn't want to give you a warranty replacement if you use the optional memory OC feature. They have the option to refuse RMA if they can prove you destroyed the CPU.

You told them you were overclocking the ram, so it's on you if they refuse the RMA. Never tell them the system is running anything outside spec.

This is why Intel created Overclocker's Insurance (I think it's ended).

https://gizmodo.com/5877447/intels-cpu-insurance-is-an-overclockers-wet-dream

Never admit you're running faster ram at XMP speeds. Downclock it to 2400 before you run whatever tools they use to analyze you system.

Last edited:

Also, that 3200 ram is 1.35v. The stock voltage for DDR4 is 1.2v. That's 12% out-of-spec.

He told them his system specs. He takes the fall for admitting any part of his system was overclocked.

Intel sells K CPUs, and doesn't want to give you a warranty replacement if you use the optional core OC feature. They have the option to refuse RMA if they can prove you destroyed the CPU.

Intel sells Z-series motherboards, and doesn't want to give you a warranty replacement if you use the optional memory OC feature. They have the option to refuse RMA if they can prove you destroyed the CPU.

You told them you were overclocking the ram, so it's on you if they refuse the RMA. Never tell them the system is running anything outside spec.

Never admit you're running faster ram at XMP speeds. Downclock it to 2400 before you run whatever tools they use to analyze you system.
Agreed we also dont know if its even the cpu thats bad, he says the ram works in another build but still leaves the board

Did you even read anything I wrote? Said I never overclocked the ram or CPU. I DO have 3200 ram that ran at 2133 default.

But I am curious, why would a person like you want a company like Intel to make more money by screwing me over? A normal consumer that builds computers the odd time? Are you just a bitter Ahole with nothing better to do that likes picking on others? Do you work for intel? Or you can't just figure out people who build computers should make companies like Intel be more customer friendly as it only benefits all of us.

I hope someone treats you the same way when you have a problem and just blames you without even understanding the situation.

If intel, Asus, etc....treat customers poorly, nobody will want to build their own computers as it's not worth the hassle.

Did you even read anything I wrote? Said I never overclocked the ram or CPU. I DO have 3200 ram that ran at 2133 default.

But I am curious, why would a person like you want a company like Intel to make more money by screwing me over? A normal consumer that builds computers the odd time? Are you just a bitter Ahole with nothing better to do that likes picking on others? Do you work for intel? Or you can't just figure out people who build computers should make companies like Intel be more customer friendly as it only benefits all of us.

I hope someone treats you the same way when you have a problem and just blames you without even understanding the situation.

If intel, Asus, etc....treat customers poorly, nobody will want to build their own computers as it's not worth the hassle.

3200mhz RAM is considered overclocked RAM, all DDR4 memory come at the highest 2400 mhz. Any memory clocked above that even if they are factory overclocked Intel might consider them overclocked, I'm not sure if that would void the warranty of the CPU or not though.

3200mhz RAM is considered overclocked RAM, all DDR4 memory come at the highest 2400 mhz. Any memory clocked above that even if they are factory overclocked Intel might consider them overclocked, I'm not sure if that would void the warranty of the CPU or not though.

Been through this previously, go read that. Are people too lazy to even read previous posts now?....lol

Repeating myself, the ram speed is set in the bios....simple......default speed is 2133. With optimized defaults.

I don't want to go into the irony of forum users who overclock that will support intel's Warranty policy of not standiung behind their product and tell the user it's all their fault. I honestly don't understand that kind of thinking. Just seems ruthless, uncaring...and quite frankly dumb.

Hmm... I did an RMA with Intel early last year without issue. They even offered an advanced RMA.

Oh really, what was the name of the representative you dealt with? Maybe I can ask for them, as all I get are an obvious call center were english is not their first language and a promise of a callback that never happens. Feel free to PM if you wish.

Last edited:
The cpu does not set the ram memory speed. The bios does. Even XMP profiles have to be loaded by the user. At least on my board. Which was never overclocked.

This.

It seems Intel is cutting down on their gracious warranty support. I wonder if this is a recent thing, preparing for the worse... lol? Anyways watch out for the Blue guys, Intel can do no wrong with them. I'd call back considering the CSR you got messed up and acting all King Kong on you and stuff and never moved it up the chain. The issue is that the CSR assumed you overclocked the memory, and voided the warranty for it. He can't just do that, he's gotta prove you did it obviously.

I can put ZR rated ties on my car, that doesn't mean I'm breaking the speed limit or am going to blow my engine. Same thing with this.

A lot of people had issues getting their defective Ryzen CPUs replaced from early production runs. This was regarding the issue with failing Linux compiles. Plenty of people are sitting on defective Ryzen hardware right now and won’t even realize it. AMD never bothered to open a voluntary recall for potentially defective CPU batches so AMD is nothing if not worse than Intel.

Are we talking about the pre week 20 units where "some" not all showed this bug, that is subsequently fixed and contrary to the statement AMD did recall defective parts? or is this a blue vs red thing again.

go into your bios and check what settings it runs at when at 2133, i have burned a sandy bridge IMC by pumping too much voltage through it, i know you didnt OC, but just check the specs on the mem in BIOS and see what voltage it was set too at 2133, escalate and if the voltage was less than 1.24v then you were totally in spec with all their bullshit so dont take no for an answer i feel like on this one, they just wanna eff with you cause you said a 'trigger' word to them 'memory was rated for up to 3200mhz'

OCing still voids warranties to some. still one of them things that you want blame it on that or something that may fail or not.

Are we talking about the pre week 20 units where "some" not all showed this bug, that is subsequently fixed and contrary to the statement AMD did recall defective parts? or is this a blue vs red thing again.

It covers a lot more than up to week 20, new turnover seems to be week 33 and that's just for the segfault issue. Not some of the other crashing bugs and issues. And no recalls either. You can still easily find defective CPUs in stores.

They still make people take pictures and try overvolting etc before wanting to accept any RMA for broken Ryzen CPUs.

https://community.amd.com/thread/215773?start=1875&tstart=0

Last edited:
I bought a dead 2600k off craiglist in 2013 for $20, RMAd it with no problem, and my niece has been using it since.
That $40 copy of Win 8 Pro has served her well also, turned into 8.1 and 10 pro with zero hassles.

I bought a dead 2600k off craiglist in 2013 for $20, RMAd it with no problem, and my niece has been using it since.
That $40 copy of Win 8 Pro has served her well also, turned into 8.1 and 10 pro with zero hassles.
Just have to be careful of the current CPUs sold as TRAY, they want you to have the OEM warranty it

Just have to be careful of the current CPUs sold as TRAY, they want you to have the OEM warranty it

I think there was a preauth in the RMA process to verify that the cpu was retail when I did it.
Sent me to chat after I entered info.
There was some weird deal about the CPU fan but the CS guy said it was fine and issued the RMA.

OK! In fairness to Intel, and for anyone reading this through google searches etc... They did send me a new processor and I received it today. Old one on the way back to them, with a 500 charge on my card saying they will refund when they get the old processor back. So that's reasonable.

Took a lot more back and forth than I wanted, it took about 5 days for the call center to reach an "expert" as they call it, who emailed back some broken english email that basically said the ram is fine and no reason to void a warranty. So they put me through to the warranty dept and we where off to the races.

So, watch out when you call intel (maybe that was my mistake as I see most people on here that had success right away used the online chat) not to use their trigger words they are looking for. I honestly think the problem was that call center intel hires has no clue on what a CPU even is and just listens for trigger words. You hear this...then do this....you hear that...do that....Customer service is so horrible now a days.

Getting too old for this shit, but it seems to have all worked out.

It's just the outsourced support at the customer's expense again. I just went around and around with the same thing through TiVo a while back and it was painful for months.

The "expert" is probably code for them actually talking to someone at Intel.

Back