Intel RAID Expander Card RES2SV240

It took a while for mine to arrive but it's here and it worked without issue with the ATTO R680 in this particular Mac Pro.

Anyway, the Intel expander has no issue negotiating 3Gb and 6Gb SATA and I have 12 drives initializing into various arrays as I write this.

Now what to do with this HP SAS expander?

Just plugged a RES2SV240 to an LSI 9260 4i with an Icy Box Backplane IB-555SSK as backplane.
No problems at all. No warning messages. No alerts, nothing :)

The good thing is that you also keep all drives config you had when plug-in them to the RES2SV240 instead of the raid card.

looks like this is the way to go over the HP expander/ would be nice if there was an external port as well.

I decided to go with it and received my RES2SV240 today. Now just waiting on drives to arrive. Looks like it is really a 20port card since one lane will be used to connect to the HBA

Is anyone using this card with an Areca 1680? for some reason It just stopped showing up in the management, I haven't expanded my array yet, but would like to figure this out before i move any further.

thanks.

Why isn't anyone going for Chenbro?

I have one working with Areca 1880i and it just blows the hell out of the Raid =)
Plus it is 6Gb/s, with 1 or 2 inputs for 4 or 8 6Gb/s links between Raid Card, 5 or 6 SSF-8087 6Gb/s inputs for HDs and plus 2 external SFF-8088 for daisy-chain/JBOD
I dont see no reasons but the price not to go with this expander.

Edit: Oh and it's also molex powered.

Because this says, Intel, and not Chenbro.

I am very happy with my intel ones, They mount just about anywhere, and havent given me any problems.

Back