Intel® Core™ i3 2100 LGA 1155 3.1GHz Boxed Processor for $99 with mobo at microcenter

Suffice to say these chips stay ice cold even with the paltry Intel cooler at less than 50%. Amazing.

Although the MN store said they were still honoring the deal, they had no more boards left.

If gas wasn't expensive, I'd take a trip to MC. If they still have this going on I might pick it up next week on my way into Houston.

So pending that I could get a hold of one of these, would these make good systems for say a mother who only facebooks, emails, and spreadsheets?

So pending that I could get a hold of one of these, would these make good systems for say a mother who only facebooks, emails, and spreadsheets?

Sure but something built in 2002 can handle all of that too.

Has anyone been to the Tustin store? I want to go tomorrow but its a 40 miles drive for me so I don't want to leave empty handed.

Went to the northern Chicago store on sunday. Was told rather rudely that no microcenter stores continued the deal and that I was mistaken.. Thanks MC for reminding me why I don't like retail, the lies and the attitude make for a terrible shopping experience.

They wouldn't accept the ad print out and tried to charge me $119.99 for the P23 combo at the Santa Clara store. This was on Saturday, after they made me wait 45 mins for someone to help me and then told me to come back in the AM because they were closed. Never again, MC. The CSRs are worse than Fry's.

After a bit of a struggle I got the Manager to match the $99.99 price at the Philadelphia store. He said since there was so much confusion he would give me the original price. Idk if it was worth the 45 min of my time though.

you guys are getting pissed b/c they aren't honoring an expired deal. i don't get that. even those that called to "confirm" it. you know that you can't rely on the person answering the phones to be correct all the time. there's no way i'd travel an hour on the hopes that an expired deal was still good and that they had everything in stock. it's just not worth it.

This was a limited offer because they were losing money on every sale for this deal. You can't fault them for not selling more when they run out, can you? It should have been "in store pick up, first come first served" if they really wanted to make it fair. People on the internet snapped these up quick.

I'd expect at least a couple more intel combo deals in the future. Sign up for their newsletter and keep an eye peeled in your spambox.

Hopefully someone posts any new deals here as well.

The thing that pissed me off is that I got an email with a deal they were offering yet they had 0 stock from when the sale started all the way through the end of the deal. That does not seem right to advertise something you have no stock of.

I'm getting pissed because of the attitude I received, not because the deal is over.

+1. Some reps at the Tustin store are plane a-holes. I come up to one and ask about a particular item, he just plain says it's OOS. I had to look it up online to find that he was wrong and he didn't even bother to help me and do it himself - turned out they had 500 units of the item I wanted. If it were up to me, I'd fire guys like that, otherwise this store is gonna end up the way of CompUSA and Circuitcity. Friggin idiots won't even bother to do their job, expecting customers to do it for them - with people like that, MC is doomed.

I'm getting pissed because of the attitude I received, not because the deal is over.

There are indeed rude and ignorant CSRs in every retail outlet. Perhaps the person you spoke to was having a shitty day and decided to take it out on you, or maybe they just suck at their job.

You always have to gauge the payoff with what you may have to deal with as a result. There have been may times where I simply avoided a deal at a retail store b/c of what I may have to deal with in order to get it. That being said, I've also experienced many times confirming something over the phone with a CSR only to get denied at the store. Sure, I could get pissed off, but I just brush it off as something that happens.

I avoid those problems entirely by never talking to B&M employees. Ever. They're all mouth-breathers until proven otherwise.

I just got my hardware up and running; its a great little system. This plus a 5770 is going to be a wicked Sims machine for my wife. Its almost dead silent and is way, way, faster than the old P4 she was running.

I just got my hardware up and running; its a great little system. This plus a 5770 is going to be a wicked Sims machine for my wife. Its almost dead silent and is way, way, faster than the old P4 she was running.
Sounds like a great budget gaming system. With this bundle and some other smart purchases, we could really make some nice machines.

I paired it with a 5770 too, great combo. The power usage to performance ratio is outstanding, although the 5770 struggles at 1080p gaming.

FYI, this deal is expired in every store now. They continued it to Saturday, April 2nd. There is a lot of misinformation floating out there. Here is the real story straight from corporate:

The deal was originally supposed to last the weekend. However, Microcenter grossly overestimated the popularity and ran out of stock in almost all locations in under 24 hours. Just about every order placed came online. This left all the retail folks who showed up that morning out in the cold.

Corporate received a lot of complaints and they decided to extend the promotion for a week. However, it was in-store only to give the retail people a chance to buy it. The regional warehouses were already running low on LGA1155 socket motherboards due to supply issues (no need to go into detail there). Their entire stock of MSI H61M-E33 motherboards was gone and MSI was having trouble sending them more because their US distributors were out of stock on that model.

Microcenter was able to secure an alternate board from MSI from the manufacturer's existing warehouse stock. It took a few days for it to filter down to the regional warehouses and then to the retail stores. Most stores didn't even receive stock until Wednesday or Thursday last week. Even then they may have only received 20-30 boards each in store. Those LGA1155 motherboards are in very hot demand right now as we all know.

The promotion was not advertised in store and you had to ask for it. A lot of of the store managers were not well informed. This filtered down to the floor sales people as they didn't have the correct info. In fact my local manager didn't even know about the original promotion until he walked in to open the store.

The bundled pricing (during the extended sale) was not in the store computer (probably to prevent online ordering and/or pricematching). All managers had to manually override the price on both items to bring it down to $99.99.

Corporate really dropped the ball and left the local stores to fend for themselves during the first few days. However, they did at least try to make up for the screw-up by securing more stock and getting it out to the stores. It's really the fault of your local store if they didn't listen to corporate the second time around. Anyhow, I hope that sheds some light for everyone. =)

========

FYI, I scored two bundles from Microcenter. One during the original sale and the second during the extended sale. Both were bought legitimately as I brought someone with me to purchase the second one. Heck, both are running 5770 cards like everyone else! That latest Fry's sale was perfect timing!

Last edited:
T hatmakes a lot of sense actually.
I take it you work there.
Posted via Mobile Device

I woke up, saw this thread, and immediately placed an order online. If you didn't order it on opening day for online pick up, then you have no reason to bitch and moan. Tough luck. It sold out and you missed out. Do it the fast way next time.

There is a lot of misinformation floating out there.

There's not really any misinformation out there. All comments point to Microcenter being a horribly run business at best and at worst a bunch of liars just trying to get feet in the store. Seems pretty consistent to me.

All comments point to Microcenter being a horribly run business at best and at worst a bunch of liars just trying to get feet in the store. Seems pretty consistent to me.
Consistently wrong, then. They post a deal, and either run out of stock, or extend the deal at times. How is that bad?

T hatmakes a lot of sense actually.
I take it you work there.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I do not work at Microcenter. I got the information from the store's head manager who happened to walk by me when I asking about the deal in the hardware section. Apparently he called corporate and tried to find out what happened earlier in the day. I then called him back later and he gave me the rest of the information about the sale being extended.

There's not really any misinformation out there. All comments point to Microcenter being a horribly run business at best and at worst a bunch of liars just trying to get feet in the store. Seems pretty consistent to me.

It's not any different than shopping at Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc. If your store is that poorly run either file a written complaint to corporate or simply don't shop there and take your business elsewhere.

While I think Microcenter dropped the ball at the beginning, they at least made an attempt to appease their retail customers by extending the promotion. When have you ever seen Best Buy do something like that?

Amazing!!!! I got a similar AMD deal for $70 last November also @ Microcenter. I love MC, but wish there was also a Fry's around here.

Just curious, does anyone else with the H61M-P23 board have beep sounds at start up? On mine it sounds like 3 beeps pause than 1 beep. Also I am having a weird issue with the BIOS and Windows start up screen are off center to the left by quite a long ways. I tried doing the monitors auto adjust and it doesn't help. It looks perfectly normal once I am in Windows 7. Any ideas?

See if you can find the beep codes for that motherboard. Something is probably broken.

Just curious, does anyone else with the H61M-P23 board have beep sounds at start up? On mine it sounds like 3 beeps pause than 1 beep. Also I am having a weird issue with the BIOS and Windows start up screen are off center to the left by quite a long ways. I tried doing the monitors auto adjust and it doesn't help. It looks perfectly normal once I am in Windows 7. Any ideas?

See if you can find the beep codes for that motherboard. Something is probably broken.

The boards make a unique sounding beeping melody when booting, just like my mother's Hyundai. Irritating, but it was cheap so can't complain ;)

And......... I still don't have a Micro Center within 1000 miles of my house. I wish that they would have run deals like this back when I lived on the east coast.

And......... I still don't have a Micro Center within 1000 miles of my house. I wish that they would have run deals like this back when I lived on the east coast.

lol i live on the east cost and nearest one is 12 hours away

Hmm tempting. I could use this in my secondary system. What's faster an i3 2100 or an Opteron 175? :p

Thats what I'm thinking...

The 2100 is better by far, the weird thing is a compeditor site says for gaming the 2100 is better than a
1100T
PII X4 970
Q9550
Q6600

and equal to a
qx9775
i5-760
i7-950 or 875K
or Black edition 975

:eek: :confused: :eek:

So what to do...

Back